Saxophone Forum

by Mactenor
(102 posts)
19 years ago

WORKING ON A BIG,LUSH SOUND ON TENOR SAX

I HAVE TWO HORNS THAT I THINK ARE GREAT FOR ACHIEVING A BIG, LUSH SOUND. A 1935 CONN 10 M AND A1951 BUESCHER 400 TOP HAT AND CANE. THE SETUP THAT I AM USING IS A DOC TENNEY REPRODUCTION OF THE OTTO LINK SLANT SIG RUBBER MOUTHPIECE, A FRANCOIS LOUIS LIGATURE, AND ALEANDER SUPERIAL DC 2/12 REED. IS THERE A NOTHER SETUP THAT WIIL WORK BETTER? I AM NOT AS EXPERIENCED AS SOME OF THE FORUM MEMBERS AND I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

19 years ago

Re: WORKING ON A BIG,LUSH SOUND ON TENOR SAX

LET ME RE-PHRASE THE ABOVE REQUEST. WITH A CONN 10M AND A BUESCHER 400, WHAT SETUP WOULD ADVISE TO ACHIEVE A FULL , LUSH SOUND PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT THANKS

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

I'd just try practicing more, using what you already have. In order to get big you have practice until that sound just comes out of you. My 2 cents on the matter. Also, could you write without the CAPS lock but on? Its the online version of shouting

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
        (102 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your response. I honestly did not know that capital letters meant shouting.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

AND ALL CAPS ARE HARD TO READ! they don't have any serifs, which help lead the eye into the next letter. and yes it's used for shouting. as for a big sound. Just keep working at it! a 10M will fill any room up, and IMO is one of the best tenor sounds out there. (and get a florida supertonemaster!)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Lotus54
        (32 posts)

19 years ago

I've played some nice Conns of that vintage, and Bueschers also. Both can have a nice big sound (I think my Ref 36 has at least a big a sound, plus in tune, but thats me). First, breath from your diapham- you need a good solid air support to get a big sound. Second, repeat above! After tha, a low baffle MP, with medium fully soaked reeds will make it easier (at least for me it does). Loosen your jaw, open your throat and think BIG. Listen to a bunch of Yusef Lateef and Dexter Gordon. Mark

Reply To Post