watz the BEST ligature for alto sax, in smooth jazz or jazz playing? thx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by joe812119
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ligature

ive been playing jazz sax for 22 years, and i can tell you a student lig is just fine. dont waste your money.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

I disagree, I've found better response from reeds with a good ligature set up...

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

probably an Oleg, or an Ultimate. Both are really good. The Rovner Eddie Daniels or Evo 5's are pretty good too. I use Rovners and I really like them. They're a little cheaper.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mattdude
      (74 posts)

19 years ago

the ligature should be the least of your worries.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, if you're playing an inexpensive Chinese or student model horn, then I agree, the ligature is the least of your worries. But, I am assuming that you have been playing a while, have a good horn, and mouthpiece set-up. If not, that should be your first step.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I play on an Armstrong alto and have found that in changing my reed and lig setup I got a huge difference in sound. I was using the stock metal lig with plain Rico 3's. Then I tried Hemke reeds with the lig and the reeds seemed to be nicer to me but I still had a suppressed sound. So I bought a box of Vandoren ZZ 3's and a Rovner Dark lig...holy smokes first time I played the sax I was almost knocked off my feet because of the brightness. For tenor I'm playing a Selmer LaVoix, and I need to get a new mouthpiece and most likely a different lig and some different reeds b/c I'm using an S80 C* with a Rovner Dark and Vandoren Traditionals...it's somewhat jazzy but it's not. It's kind of like forcing a baby to eat from the spoon...it might take it but it won't like it. So, I'm getting that new setup to help with my jazz songs. So indeed a ligature does make a big difference. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Reply To Post

2. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

If you could get one find a Bonade for rubber pieces only however

Reply To Post

3. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Rovners (ED, EVO-5) and Consoli Rampligs are awesome. The Consoli has great projection and outstanding response.

Reply To Post

4. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

a lot of times ill just play with the cheap-ass cruddy stock lig.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

And that can be a bad thing, Yani *frowns*

Reply To Post

6. by spifster
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

Try an Oleg. I used to play on a rovner dark until this thing came and it sings. Opened up the mouthpiece, had so many more subtones than I thought my link could produce. I found with the rovner you have one sound and it doesnt change much no matter what you put behind it.

Reply To Post

7. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

for HR alto pieces, the Bay ligs are excellent...Have been using the same one since 1990 and has worked with both my classical set up and the big Couf Artist piece I use with my band...

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Those Bay ligs look more classical...but I guess I could be wrong?

Reply To Post

9. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, they're ornate...but as long as they allow for proper reed response, that's all that counts

Reply To Post

10. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

If you could find a D Bonade buy it leave the Bay alone it is too flimsy and is a poor design.

Reply To Post

11. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

which is why mine has lasted for 15 years and a bunch of nobodies (like Sinta and his students) play them. It is one of the best ligatures I've ever used.

Reply To Post

12. by Cannon
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

a Bay too flimsy and poor design? The Bay ligature i have is simply amazing. You just have to show caution when handling it. It can get you a great reed response though.

Reply To Post

13. by Cannon
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

I use the Bay for my legit playing mainly. I use a Vandoren Optimum for my big band. Both are very good choices.

Reply To Post

14. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Miles Osland, professor at University of Kentucky uses nothing BUT Bay ligs in his setups...including jazz setups. Flimsy and or fragile doesn't always mean poor or poor quality in the music world. For example, gold is a fragile metal...but it's not cheap or poor by any means. Ya just gotta use care when handling it. Might be the same thing with a Bay lig...just show care when handling it and it will be the best lig one ever owned!

Reply To Post