Saxophone Forum

by Saxon
(100 posts)
19 years ago

Music- C melodys?

I've been playing an alto and a soprano for a while and finding music seems to be a problem. Also playing with guitarists who like the key of E It dawned on me that a sax in the Key of C could be very useful. What do you band leaders think? Would C tenors work or are Bb tenors no problem?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Music- C melodys?

I'm really only a student but I'll tell ya what I think on the subject. First of all, C Tenors and C Sopranos have been out of production for awhile now, so don't expect getting a new one. Second, key of E is 4 sharps, which is hell on any sax. That would transpose to key of Gb/F# on a Bb instrument (6 sharps or six flats). On an Eb instrument it would transpose to the key of Db/C# (5 flats or 7 sharps (YAY!)) So if you wanna stay on Bb Tenor go on ahead and kill yourself w/confusion. Or forage desperately for a C Tenor or Soprano (OR BASS!) and lighten the load. Believe me, even though I've only played for about 5 years, I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I play in those keys all the time. I hate C#, but F# isn't so bad if you stick with a blues scale (Most of the music I play in the key of E (F# on tenor) is blues) It definately pays to learn those keys. Every sax player who plays rock and blues should know the scales for D, A, E, B, and F#.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Saxon
        (100 posts)

19 years ago

I hate C# with a passion and F# is tolerable but E is a piece of cake! I only a learner so I'm interested in what experienced band leaders think will be the limitations of of the C tuned instruments playing with others?? I have an old C sax on order.

Reply To Post