Saxophone Forum

by Rv6 Russ
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Plastic key guard for Conn 28M Alto

Does anyone have an idea where I can get a new plastic key guard for my Conn Alto 28M? I have had this horn for over 50 years and the plastic guard has a few cracks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by [email protected]
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Plastic key guard for Conn 28M Alto

Many if not most 28Ms apparently have *no* remaining key guard. In fact, I'd like to buy your cracked one... I think your best bet might be to mix some epoxy and force it into the cracks, cover it with somethink like saran wrap so as the epoxy will merge in with the original guard. As to your question- there are none, there is noplace. I'm trying to figure out already how to fabricate a reasonable facimile... -Tom

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Many if not most 28Ms apparently have *no* remaining key guard. In fact, I'd like to buy your cracked one... I think your best bet might be to mix some epoxy and force it into the cracks, cover it with somethink like saran wrap so as the epoxy will merge in with the original guard. As to your question- there are none, there is noplace. I'm trying to figure out already how to fabricate a reasonable facimile... -Tom

Reply To Post

1. by Rv6 Russ
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the infor Tom I have been thinking along those same lines. Pretty sad Conn won't support their product. Russ

Reply To Post

3. by Slausonm
    (51 posts)

19 years ago

Hello, I am a musical instrument repairman and a teacher. (not music) I recently fabricated a new key guard for a 28M. The instrument I was repairing had missing posts on the body side, so I made new posts for it too. I did not have an old guard to go by so I downloaded pictures from quite a few web sites and made a mold to vacuum form a new plastic guard. While I'm sure it is not perfect, it looks darn close to the pictures I saw. If someone had an original, even if it were broken, I could make a mold that was near identical. My replacement guard is being engraved to match what was in the picture. If anyone is interested in letting me borrow their guard, (broken or Whole) I would make a new one for them for the cost of materials (and engraving)2nd 3rd and 4th ones will have labor attached. I will post pictures when I get the guard back from the engraver. [email protected] Thanks, Matt

Reply To Post

1. by ClickRec
      (5 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Matt- I just wanted to let you know my keyguard that I bought from you last year is still holding strong and looks great. It's actually sturdier than the original. Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by darby
      (1 post)

12 years ago

Hello Matt,
                    Can you tell me if you are still making the replacement keyguards for the 28m please?

Regards, Darby.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like you might have some business there Matt! You might consider making a few of those guards and listing them on ebay. Unfortunately, Conn-Selmer doesn't seem too interested in providing parts for any vintage horns. Many of the parts for the old horns, including the Conn set screws, rod screws and pins and other pieces are virtually non-existant. This is true not only of the Conns, but all of their vintage horns; even the Selmers. Selmer wants us to pay an arm, leg, 4 teeth and our first born for one of their new horns rather than repair our old ones.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Rv6 Russ
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Matt, Thanks for the response on your amazing reproduction efforts. Do you have a photo of it that you could E-mail me? I think I might like to enlist your services to make one for me. As you might guess, I am a bit apprehensive about sending anyone my original and so I need to think it over. Thanks again - you have given me a ray of hope. Russ

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
        (51 posts)

19 years ago

To anyone who is interested in the 28M guard, the person engraving my guard said it would be two weeks before he got to it, so I imagine it will be another week after that before I see it. I will post pictures when it is done. Unless I get ahold of an original guard, I can't guarantee that the holes for the screws will line up with your posts because I was making guesses about some things. I know that mine works on the horn I have but it may not work on anyone elses without modification. As far as screws and hinge rods go, they are easy enough to make if you purchase the correct size drill rod, taps and dies. Key parts aren't that difficult to make either, just time consuming. Matt

Reply To Post

1. by Rv6 Russ
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks again Matt - for the info. I definitely want to pursue this. If I send you my original key guard when would you need it in order to get started? How long would you need to keep it? I would have to figure out some way to rig a temporary replaement while I am without it. It sounds like you are a real craftsman - being able to do all that stuff. I'll be waiting for those photos. Russ

Reply To Post

2. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

If I don't get my guard back by the end of next week, I will not be able to post pictures until I get back from Maryland on August 7. Russ, if you are willing to send youroriginal guard, I will send a temporary one so that you can still play your horn. I'll send one with no holes in it that way you'll just have to drill it for your posts. Send me an e-mail with your address an I will ship it out after I get back from Maryland. You can send your guard after you get the temporary one. Matt

Reply To Post

3. by Rv6 Russ
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

Matt, Thanks for the offer. I will e-mail my address. Russ

Reply To Post

4. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Well I finaly got the guard back from the engraver and I am pleased with the results. The pictures of the guard can be seen at the following : img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard1.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard2.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard3.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard4 img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28mguard5.jpg.jpg I will be honest and tell you that I have very little money into manufacturing the guard itself but the engraving bill was very large! I will discuss the costs of making more guards with those of you who are interested if you send an e-mail. If you are into function and not the decoration I can make a replacement pretty reasonably. Pretty will cost you extra...a lot extra. Sorry, I don't do the engraving. Matt

Reply To Post

5. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

6. by ccaj
          (1 post)

19 years ago

It turned out beautifully! Please email with cost for a plain one. The engraving is wonderful but I don't need it. I just need functional! Thanks, Cyndi J

Reply To Post

7. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

For Russ and the others that have helped me out and inquired about the 28M Guard. I've got some made. Just to let Russ know, his guard will be sent on Monday, and Thank You for trusting me with your original. The first mold I made broke when I went to mold the plastic so I had to make another. I no-longer repair instruments full time, so I've been picking away at this project when I have time. If anyone would like a replacement, please e-mail me and I will send my address and the price. The replacement guard is a bit thicker than the original, and it is made from high impact acrylic. It is very durable compared to the original. You will need to drill the holes for the mounting screws, and you may need to grind the plastic in certain areas to fit it. Those of you not brave enough to fit your own should have your repairman do it, or you could send the horn to me, but that would cost a great deal in shipping. Please see the attached pictures. img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/28MGuard 2.jpg

Reply To Post

8. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

I just noticed my links didn't work. If any of you have questions or want pictures of my 28M replacement guard, please drop me a line and I will send pics of my replacement guard. I've made quite a number of them now, and people seem to be very pleased with them.

Reply To Post

9. by Dutch
          (1 post)

15 years ago

Hi, Matt, I have a 28M that my folks bought me in the mid fifties. I still play it. I have my original plastic guard relatively intact, but I'd like to have a spare. Can you email me the pricing, both with and without the engraving? Dutch

Reply To Post

10. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

12 years ago

Hello,
          I am still making this guard. It took a lot of effort, but they work very well. I currently sell a plain guard with no engraving for$85 and a laser engraved version for$125. The artwork on the laser guard is similar to the original guard. Some people are filling the engraving with gold crayon or paint to make them look more original. I ship in the USA for free and at my cost for over seas shippment. I accept checks and ship after they clear, paypal as a gift, or US postal money order. 

You will need to drill holes  in the guard to mount it and possibly grind away some plastic depending on yourkey configuration. If you live close enough to Auburn NY to bring your horn to me I will mount the guard for free.  If you are willing to ship the horn I will also mount it for free if you pay the shipping costs.

If you are inexperienced at doing this kind of stuff, I'd take it to a trusted repairman who should be able to mount the guard in less than 1 hour. Although my guard is much stronger than the original, you can still crack it! So it is important to know what you are doing.

[email protected]

Matt 

Reply To Post

11. by nowherethis1
          (1 post)

11 years ago

Hi  -  I just purchased a 28m but the lower keys are held in place by a rubber band stretched between the two posts.  So I'm definitely interested in getting one of your special made plastic key guards.  I hope you're still providing this service.

Thanks

Don Crawford

[email protected]

760 330 6684

Reply To Post

12. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

11 years ago

I still make the guard. Please send me a message if you would like to get one. [email protected]

Reply To Post

13. by dawjazz
          (1 post)

9 years ago

Just checking to see if you are still making the plastic key guard for the Conn 28M Alto. Mine is cracked and missing a couple hunks. I'd like to get a replacement with the stencil is that is possible. Please contact me at [email protected]

Reply To Post