Saxophone Forum

by dkecbn
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Hello. Question on this Selmer Mark 7. Is it authentic?

I'm interested in buying this Mark 7 Alto, but can't tell if it's authentic, meaning... is it a fake
I attached a picture of it. Can someone help me out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Hello. Question on this Selmer Mark 7. Is it authentic?

I am very confused about your post. I have never seen a FAKE Mark 7.

They are solid horns, it is just there are so many other horns that are better to fake than a mark 7.

Making a fake mark 7 instead of a fake mark VI would be like making a fake chevette instead of a fake Corvette.

I would say it is real. The pictures tell us nothing. If the medal feels good firm and thick enough, meaning you cant dent the horn with your hands, it is more than likely a solid French made Mark 7.

If there is a conspiracy of making secondary horns fake, instead of the top of the line issue, I would love to hear more. The reason for making fakes is to make a quick untraceable profit.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by dkecbn
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply. The pictures I provided are from the internet, so I can't pyhiscally hold the mark 7. I can provide more pictures for you, if needed.... The asking lrice for this horn from the seller is roughly 2,500 USD

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

7 years ago

In my opinion it now comes down to you trusting the seller. If it is not a site that has been around for awhile, like saxquest, tenor madness, or PM winds, I would be reluctant to send money into the unknown. He may only have pictures and not the horn itself. Then collect money from multiple sources.  If it is an Ebay transaction, check into the sellers history. I myself am more reluctant to buy off the internet than I use to be. I still recommend playing a horn before making a decision. You should ask for a trial period and pay through a secure source. You commit to paying the shipping both ways if you decide to not buy it. Dont just wire money and hope for the best....

The price asked  is in line for the horn type.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by dkecbn
          (3 posts)

7 years ago

Hi. The person who replied to the post, I have another question. I'm interested in buying a selmer paris metal jazz mouthpiece cor alto sax, but I don't know what letter on the metal mouthpiece is recommended for jazz. Please help.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

7 years ago

Why that mouthpiece?  Everything I have read about the Selmer metal Jazz states that it has a lot of resistance on low notes, and that makes the low notes a challenge.  I recommend checking out the alto mouthpiece reviews at www.neffmusic.com.  Steve Neff not only reiews the mouthpieces, but he also plays them for you to listen to.
          You also don't mention what you are wanting the mouthpiece to do.  Bright/dark/projection/articulation etc.  If you tell us what you are looking for in an alto mouthpiece, we may be able to provide some good recommendations. 

Reply To Post