Saxophone Forum

by kitnachi
(41 posts)
19 years ago

High D on Alto sax

In my band we tune on the D in the middle, but the thing is none of the saxaphones never stay in tune , even remotely close... Is this because our instruments need repair? I do know that you have to warm up on your instrument before you tune but all of the alto saxes get out of tune super fast.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: High D on Alto sax

Tune to second line G first, then play D. D is one of those notes that can vary greatly with embouchure. When you play the D after your instruments are tuned, screw around with your embouchures until you get the D right. That's what the saxes in my band did (now we automatically tune to eachother). Many student sax players will play with too loose an embouchure and the tone quality and tuning goes down the toilet.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

thats what we do.. we tune to the octave Bb concert.. tune the 5th.. and our actual Bb on the octave.. then say we have a soli or a chord that we have trouble with we hit that with the strobe as well..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

the best place to tune is Bflat since it is in the middle of the range otherwise F sharp with octave ( concert A) as this is the most stable note on the horn . I suspect that your pitch problems are more a function of support than set-up

Reply To Post