Saxophone Forum

by Chuck8133
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Buescher baritone

I have acquired a Buescher baritone sax S/N 59304. (classic Buescher S/N in a partial circle format).Buescher S/N's indicate it to be a 1970-75 model but I think it is older, (bell keys on opposite side, wire key guards). Low C key guard is classic Conn shaped. Does anyone know if Conn was making this sax for Buescher?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buescher baritone

Conn never made saxophones for Buescher. Buescher; however used to work for CG. Conn, and Gus Buescher actually designed the early Conn saxophones. What you are describing sounds like an early Buescher True Tone., made around 1919 (www.drrick.com/buesc.html What is the engraving like on the bell and near the thumbrest? Could you possibly send me a picture? Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Chuck8133
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the response Jim. The engraving is poor enough that it would not photograph but thanks to your input I can faintly see True Tone engraved by the thumbrest. Pretty much proves it is a Buescher.

Reply To Post

1. by vedubya
        (1 post)

17 years ago

I'm not sure how to get a hold of anyone on here, but I have a Buescher Baritone sax that I need to get rid of. it has all the keys and is complete. can any one tell me how I should sell it?? I will need restoration.serial number 37262. It has all the beautiful mother of pearl on the keys and a gorgeous engraving on it. call 541-231-8280 or email me at [email protected] must go!!

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

It's a few years later than mine, which goes only up to Eb. I'm in the middle of repadding/oiling/adjusting it right now. It sounds very full and smooth, but it's keywork is probably not up to more modern standards.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

I have a late true tone bari and they are fine horns with great intonation.A lot smoother then the early conns, sod the keywork think of the tone and the keywork can take care of itself. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- I have a late true tone bari and they are fine horns with great intonation ------------------------------------------------------------------- that much is certain, and I'd add that they're accoustically sound. Mine played well despite a number of leaks and a noticable slit under a tonehole. Too bad I broke a key. It will be mended soon enough, then I can continue with it's refit. :)

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My uncle played a Buescher True Tone baritone sax for years. Wow, what a sound! I think they are probably one of the best sounding baritone saxophones I've heard. I'm restoring a Mulligan right now. (Conn New Wonder Series II) I should have it together in a couple weeks. I'm waiting on pads. I'm not sure I really need another bari, but I wouldn't mind having an old True Tone. They're great horns. Good Luck with her Johnson.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Chuck8133
          (16 posts)

19 years ago

Got it back from dent repair yesterday and started the clean up on it. Found all the snap in's present except for 3 of them that were cut off. It has been through the mill but will play again. Has been buffed to the point that the engraving is faint. Not sure what effect that has on a baritone as they are so heavy anyway..

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure I really need another bari ----------------------------------------------------------- Of course you do! :D Generally, if you have a shot at a cheap bari, I'd go for it if at all possible. I'll have mine back within two weeks when I travel down there again. I do plan on trying to tame the keywork as much as possible with use of telflon and spring adjustments. I may also try lowering key heights as well for a bit faster action, as it stands, they are way open, more than you'de expect.

Reply To Post