Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
19 years ago

Mark VI Know-nothings

who on this discussion board does not know what a mark vi is? Some kids in my school who play sax have no clue!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mark VI Know-nothings

That doesn't surprise me. That's because Selmer hasn't made the mark VI in over 30 years. Most of the kids in your school were born in the late 1980's and early 1990's. They started out on Yamaha 23's, Jupiters, the S Series Selmers, or Taiwan's finest (or worse). Many kids today look at a Mark VI as a beat up old relic not fit to play! Of course, some of the horns may be in need of repair, but kids today look at a shiney new Monique, or a Schill, or one of the other cheap saxophones on ebay and think "It's new and it's pretty so it must be better than the school's beat-up Mark VI, or dad's old Conn or Buescher......WRONG!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

exactly I've played one and loved it, even though I'm only 15, but I know a lot about the sax, so I could appreciate the awesome vintage instrument. I only had one problem, my private instructor's Mark VI Alto seemed to have a somewhat screwed up low C# mechanism, IT DIDN'T WANT TO WORK! Otherwise I completely adored it.

Reply To Post

2. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I know what you're saying Jim. My friend got a new Yani 991B a while ago, and he was bragging about how gorgeous and black and shiny and wonderful it was. You should have seen the look on his face when I let him try my Super 20. Priceless. People in my section used to look at my old director(amazing sax player) like he had six heads every time he brought his ancient VI out of the case, while I listened in awe.

Reply To Post