Saxophone Forum

by emeiers
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Military Sax

I have a King Zephr Baritone Sax(1941) used by the Military (has military markings). It is completly silver with a gold bell. I was wondering how much this is worth and if it is worth keeping. It is in MINT condition. Not a scratch. Let me know.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by irvkms
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Military Sax

I have a King Zeph Bari from 1944 with U.S. engraved on it, a silver, former military horn. It is a fantastic player, big beefey sound like old baris but is more focused and can really project. A fair amount of dings and wear but worth about $3,000. I used a cheap Rico Royal Metalite mpce for years, workrd fine, now use a metal SWR.

Reply To Post

2. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Is it still factory sealed, and what branch of the military are you talking about? military personal are expected to keep their instrument in as good a shape as regular infantry or whatever keep their uniforms and guns.

Reply To Post

1. by emeiers
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, it is factory sealed. And it is from the Marine Corps. It certainly is in great condition.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It's worth quite a bit. A 1941 King Zephyr in mint condition is worth a lot, but a WWII military horn in mint condition with the military engravings....I'm sure is worth even more. I will call a few collectors I know and try to get some prices but I'm thinking $3500-$4000

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of instruments the Marine Corp uses now??? I'd love to see some pics of the sax

Reply To Post

2. by emeiers
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Ill send some pics asap.

Reply To Post

3. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

thanks

Reply To Post

4. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

Id love to see it too. I never really thought about a sax in the military band but now. I guess it never dawned on me

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I heard the US Army band play a few months ago. They had a lot of vintage instruments, actually. Most of them were Selmer; a lot of Mark VI's. There were a couple Kings also, and others.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, when I was drafted, I put in a request to be in the Army band. Unfortunately I was sent to the infantry and then to Vietnam. Luckily I came home with everything in tact to play my Mark VI's again!!!! :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

7. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

if you joined the marines, and auditioned, they would let you play in the band. you even get more say as to which base your going to if your a band member. they want to get more bandos, so they treat you better. My brother wants to be stationed in Japan(don't see why) There is one thing that is sort of weird though. they won't let my brother play bari sax in the marching band, only in jazz.Anybody know why

Reply To Post

8. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

I had my flute sent to me in Vietnam, so could I play when I wasn't in the bush. The bari is too heavy for a long march. The sousaphone is heavy, but it is supported by the torso. I remember when I was playing keyboards in a new wave band back in the 80's. I suggested a bari part for one of the songs. I borrowed the horn from a kid in the neighborhood. I had to figure out the part, a solo, and ger it nailed before the gig that night. I really should have a bari, but I just got over buying a soprano. Last time I played a bari, I had to rent it. $1500 deposit and $50/day. By the way Jaoanese girls are hot. One of my best friends is a Japanese girl. I think she could engrave a sax, She is a great artist.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

9. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

19 years ago

There's not many military bands that march bari anymore. Most military marching bands do either ceremonies or parades, both are not very fun with a bari sax around your neck. Besides, the part is covered by other instruments anyway. As far as what brands the miltary uses, it's actually up to that individual unit. Each band gets a certain budget for a fiscal year, and it's up to the band to decide how to best use the funds. So, a band could have all brand new Serie IIIs, while another uses strictly Yamahas. It varies from band to band.

Reply To Post

10. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

19 years ago

When I was a Navy musician a lot of the guys in the bands used their own horns. It may be the same way now, which would account for the Mark VI's.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

11. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I know for a fact that tyhe marines don't let musicians play their own instruments

Reply To Post