Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

SOPRANO SAX HEEEEELLP!!!!!!

Hey guy's! I'm a year and a half experienced tenor player, obviosly just experiencing the wonderful world of music and my family got me a BAND NOW soprano sax. It's a $200 out of the box soprano sax, not a good brand, pretty decent sound, doesn't matter if it's a bad quality horn at least I'm starting. My problem, one day after a trip I took it up for playing and nothing works! I put the light through my soprano to check for leaks and these aren't leaks! These are almost visible to the eye in almos every single tone hole from A down! I'm not going to pay $70 for a repair job, what to do?? SaxMan!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: SOPRANO SAX HEEEEELLP!!!!!!

Unless you have expirience in fixing it yourself, you will have to take it to a tech. Make sure you learn what actions cause this kind of extreme leaks, and take care to not let it happen again

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

19 years ago

The trouble with cheap horns are cheap pads Dave

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

if you can spend 70 bucks on something that's that bad and it will actually work God Bless yu that will be a great thing this tech has done. i had two pads replace on my alto the other day and it was 40 and he didn't charge me for the pads cause i know him. now this horn plays and it plays well. but he also said there is much work to be done. so count your lucky stars if this guy can fix it for that.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I really don't think they're worth the cost of the repair. In no time at all, it will need to be readjusted again. You bought a $200 sax. This is what you get for $200. Just save your money and buy something decent.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by RoYrOy
        (51 posts)

19 years ago

Great advince guys thanks...really on the line of what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. I wanna tinker with it a bit, I mean if it's not worth it, and it's so hard to sell an unplayable cheap cheap soprano sax, then I'll just use it to learn about instruments!

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

If it's not fixable and not playable, saxophones make great wall (or table) decorations!

Reply To Post

2. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah...they are so beautifull, but their destiny is to be played!!!!

Reply To Post

2. by Saxdragon
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

Sell it on ebay and buy one of those old Buescher Trutone's! It'll cost you about 800 -1200 bucks for a good one, but it'll be worth it, they are lovely horns when in good condition. Alternatively, WWBW sells their house brand for the same amount brand new, it's gotta be better, right? I mean, when an iPod costs 400 dollars, what kind of horn can you hope for for 200 dollars?

Reply To Post