Saxophone Forum

by Zheng
(23 posts)
19 years ago

tenor mp

i have been playing tenor for a while. want a brighter and louder mp, but one that can still play soft. i am willing to spend $150. right now im playing a meyer 5m.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mojocoggo
    (97 posts)

19 years ago

Re: tenor mp

Check out www.bari-assoc.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mojocoggo
      (97 posts)

19 years ago

Re: tenor mp

You might also want to try www.jodyjazz.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Here's a choice

I found the Vandoren V16 just right. It would fit exactly what you are looking for. If you are patient, you should be able to find it on ebay for around 150. Quite a deal. The jody will be much more expensive, and I feel the Vandoren will hit all the ranges you need.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Here's a choice

new york links aren't bad, but the jody's and the v16s are awesome!

Reply To Post

2. by Zheng
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

berg vs v16

thx for the replys guys. what about the berg 105/2. better or worst than the v16 metal. btw the berg is metal also.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

berg vs v16

Bergs are good. However, I don't quite see the versatility that I do with the Vandoren. You can put a plasticover reed on it, and it screams. Then put a classical reed and it is mellow. I think Vandoren itself is one of the finest manufacturers and quite underrated. Frankly, even though I would like to try Jody, Barone, Guaradala etc.... all the others.. I don't think there is going to be a more satisfactory mpc than this one. So, take your pick and hope you end up with what you dream of.

Reply To Post

4. by Zheng
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

v16 vs ponzol m2+

what about this match up?

Reply To Post AIM

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: v16 vs ponzol m2+

Ponzol M2+ is a real dragonslayer if you're up against screaming brass or guitars, but the V16 is certainly more versatile and subdued. I love having my M2+ around, but I still feel a need to have a more "refined" metal around for my tenor. They both have their place and both worth the $$$.

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Berg/V16

... and as far as Bergs, the modern ones are too variably made. A good one can be found in a batch of 10. Not worth the hassle. Seems lots of people have them refaced to play properly. Might as well start off with a high quality Vandoren or Ponzol right out of the chute.

Reply To Post

7. by Zheng
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

v16

ok i have made my choice on the v16. now, i dont kno what kinda tip size means or the short med long thing. can some1 help me.

Reply To Post AIM