Saxophone Forum

by syrasax
(75 posts)
19 years ago

Reed Question

Quite frankly I didn't get any responses in the General Discussion with this query so I'll try it here. I'd really like more info on this if possible. I seem to be a "wet" player in that I'm always sucking in the moisture off the reed. But has it been anyone's experience that some reeds are better than others at keeping the moisure off? It seems that when I play the Vandoren Java or V-16 reed it's making that moisture buzz thing in a matter of seconds. Rico's not as much. Or am I . . . .all wet?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k.o. kid
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reed Question

Try a Bari Star...they don't hold moisture at all.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

Try rubbing a little cork grease on the baffle of the mouthpiece. This seems to keep the moisture from building up in the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
      (75 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. I'll try the cork grease with the cane reeds. I have used Fibracells in the past but wasn't too happy with the sound but I'll try the Bari. They're also a little less $$ than the Fibracell. Thanks again.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to Lester Young (Prez)-- He did entire albums with that sound. Make you feel better about it (and you'll hear some seriously tasty playing!).

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
          (75 posts)

19 years ago

You're right, I listened to a CD of his I have. All I need now is his talent, stature and reputation and I'm all set!

Reply To Post