Saxophone Forum

by spifster
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Convert (kind of)

I've been mainly a jazz player for all of my high school career. I really need a new classical setup (I played a link in concert band last year). I ordered a vandoren optimum mpc off wwbw, but i was wondering about good classical setups for alto sax, just don't say a c* cuz I hate them. I was also wondering if you could use an olegature for classical or if that's strictly for jazz. either way I'll try it out, but id like some input anyways.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Cannon
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Convert (kind of)

A mouthpiece recommendation is very subjective. It may or may not work for you. However, I have used and had success with either a Selmer s80 D or more often, my Selmer LT. Any reason you don't like the C*? I've never used them myself so i don't know. As far as ligatures. There is no such thing as a ligature that is better for legit or jazz. An olegature would be an excellent choice. The thing about ligatures is that you are looking for a good reed response from them. Ligatures aren't made for certain genres of sax playing.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

You might not like a C* but I did not like beer at first belive it a C* is a great start for classical but you need to get a good one You will find inj classical that sound is not everything intonation,,homogen,,, ,clarity,,,attacks are all scrutinized much more than in jazz what you did not like about C* in jazz might be what is needed in classical

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

Oh I forgot for a ligature get yourself a Bonade inexpensive and as good as they come

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------ ...i was wondering about good classical setups for alto sax ------------------------------------------------------------------- The Optimum you ordered off of WWBW is a good setup, and you can probably use any lig you'd like with it. Try the Alexander Classique reeds with those.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I want to try alexander reeds, but none of my local music stores carry them, so I might just have to order some. The reason(s) I hate the C* are 1. It seems that every single high school sax player has one or two. 2. Made by selmer. 3. way too small of a facing. 4. Made by selmer. 5. that fact that its generally referred to as a selmer c* and not a selmer s80. 6. Made by selmer. 7. They really don't sound that great!

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

And not to start this argument again, but intonation, attacks, and all the technical parts of the saxophone are just as important in jazz playing, actually more so in my experience.

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

If you don't like the S-80, try an old C*. For legit alto, I think they sound and play very nicely. If those still aren't to your liking, check out a Rascher or Caravan mouthpiece.

Reply To Post AIM