Saxophone Forum

by davidau
(37 posts)
19 years ago

give some view on Selmer Mark VI alto and sba alto

i recently tried a silver sba alto and a late mark vi it was wow... and it was alot cheaper than a mark vi i collect alot selmer and it just unbelievealbe i am going to buy it i will post some pictures David

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: give some view on Selmer Mark VI alto and sba alto

In an alto, I actually prefer the SBA to the Mark VI. I think they have a better tone, and they also play very well.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by davidau
      (37 posts)

19 years ago

i got a chance to get a silver sba alto for 2500 USD and a chance to get a late mark 6 alto for 2900 USD both are original and come with original box the sba is silver and need repad but the mark vi are ready to rock condition its hard to choose between them i ve always want a silver horn i had a selmer mark 7 and sold it week ago on ebay for 1900 USD i will post their photo here and you guys might help me to chose which one are better. i hope i got more opinion before spend some serious money David

Reply To Post

2. by davidau
      (37 posts)

19 years ago

by the way i play classical music like moon river...etc and i prefer darker tune but i like forcus tone and i like some thing can attention people that bright and big. i will post the pictures of sba silver and mark 6 once i upload them

Reply To Post

1. by davidau
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

here are some selmer alto silver Super balance action pictures it does need some repad and adjustment serial are 36k www.geocities.com/jm2/photo01.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo02.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo03.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo04.jpg and here are a late selmer mark 6 the serial are 230k and its all original very good condition does not need any other work , ready to rock i really need some view because the owner live far away where i live so once i make up my mind i will travel to there and get the horn, and so it like gamble but also a bargain. because hard to find any selmer vintage at this price any way here are some pictures of mark 6 www.geocities.com/jm2/photo001.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo002.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo003.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo004.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo005.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo006.jpg www.geocities.com/jm2/photo007.jpg

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

I had a "late" mk.VI- a great horn. Intonation spot on and sounded like a Selmer, very Moon River. Also had an SBA tenor- nice horn. Sounds like quite a dilemma, but even if you don't score a sweet one, there's always resale and Selmer is good for that!

Reply To Post

2. by davidau
          (37 posts)

19 years ago

if above pictures dont work please click on the link img326.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=photo014so.jpg

Reply To Post

2. by davidau
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

the photos are in below links silver one are SBA alto and other are late mark 6 img326.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=photo014so.jpg

Reply To Post

3. by Lotus54
      (32 posts)

19 years ago

I have a SBA alto I bought for $150 (ok, it was a LONG time ago). Best horn I've ever played. Wish I had a tenor like it. The Ref36 is closer than the Mk VI to a SBA (Tenor)- infact the Ref36 reminds me a lot of the SBA. Maybe someday a SBA tenor will come my way. Hang onto the SBA alto! mark

Reply To Post

1. by davidau
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

the comment burned me many told me get the mark 6 and some tell me to get the silver sba alto ....what i do

Reply To Post

1. by Lotus54
          (32 posts)

19 years ago

Which one do you like the way it plays/sounds better? that really is all that matters. Just becuase I like my SBA a lot, doesn't mean you would, or that the one are you are looking at is good (or you would like it). If you like them both equally...then the one that is ready to go may have the nod- unless you could get the other tuned up and ready for a similar price. Note that if the SBA needs some work, and STILL plays/sounds as good or better than the VI...well, it seems pretty obvious then. mark

Reply To Post

1. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

I ended up bought both horn, because both are really cheap horn , and both are same good. i really like th makr 6, and so i am not selling this one. however i am selling the silver sba because i need to sell it to cover some fees, i am selling it for 2900 USD please go free trading have a look David

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like a pretty good deal for an SBA David. I will pass the word around. Glad you like your Mark VI.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

thanks i am looking to try a conn 28m for my next horn David

Reply To Post