Saxophone Forum

by Selmer Lover
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Info on the Yamaha 82Z Tenor

Hey guys, i'm wondreing if anyone has played an unlaqured 82Z and could tell me about them? I'm wondering what they sound like in comparison to the MarkVI Tenors and the way they feel. OH, and if anyone is looking to trade a nice tenor for a Selmer Series II Sop that's in amazing shape just email me. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dlunsf
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Info on the Yamaha 82Z Tenor

I played one that I ordered for a customer (I work in a music store) and loved it. As far as comparing it to a Mark VI, I couldn't help you much with that, but a Selmer Reference 54 is my main horn and I loved the 82ZU (unlacquered). The tone and response throughout the range of the horn are excellent and I actually liked it better in the high register (high D and above) than my Ref. 54. This may be due to the fact that the tone holes for the left hand palm keys are larger on the Reference 54 than the Mark VI. I am told this was done to make the high notes speak better and play better in tune. On the 82Z, those tone holes are small (similar to a Mark VI) and this seems, for me at least, to help high notes respond easier and also helps with altissimo notes that use the front F key. On the Reference 54's I have played, including mine, the one-finger high G (front F key) is a little harder to control than on other horns for me. Also, you should be able to find a 82ZU for at least somewhere around $1000 less than a Ref. 54 or Mark VI. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Reply To Post