Saxophone Forum

by saxnforjesus
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Your All-Time favorite Sax Player?

Hello Guys(and Gals). I know we have some great sax players out there among us. Any thoughts as to who inspired you the most? Think of a single sax player that you heard play as a kid and thought "wow, I love that!" I'd like to read about the sax player that had a impact on your life and why.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisaxguy14
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Your All-Time favorite Sax Player?

Boots Randolph. I just think he plays awesome and introduced me to the tenor. By the way, cool name Saxnforjesus.

Reply To Post

1. by soupzill
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

STAN GETZ!!!!!

Reply To Post

2. by Junior High Blues King
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, Adolphe Sax (laughs)

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

If anyone, John Coltrane topped them all. But Stan Getz (mentioned above) is a fantastic player. My favorite at the moment would have to be Chris Potter.

Reply To Post

3. by Bluewolf
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

I'm gonna go with Boots Randolph. I listen to his stuff on the way to school.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxskillzyamaha
      (52 posts)

18 years ago

the sax i rented from my sax teachers case used to be getz's! Im gonna have to go with Sonny Rollins my main man!

Reply To Post

2. by saxskillzyamaha
      (52 posts)

18 years ago

the sax i rented from my sax teachers case used to be getz's! Im gonna have to go with Sonny Rollins my main man!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Impossible for me to name just one! Here are a few that I really like. Charlie Parker. Bird has always been one of my favorites! Paul Desmond (silky smooth sound) Stan Getz John Coltrane Cannonball Adderly Johnny Hodges King Curtis Grover Washington Jr. (If only Kenny G. had this much soul!) Tom Scott (Check out his version of Shotgun!) Candy Dulfer (Sexy and soulful) Cliff Barnes (Average White Band's funky tenor player) Chris Potter (The best modern day jazz player, in my opinion)

Reply To Post Yahoo!