Saxophone Forum

by connsaxman_jim
(2336 posts)
19 years ago

Jim's list of "approved" saxophone brands

Antigua Winds Armstrong Borgani Buescher Bundy Buffet B&S Cannonball Cleveland (King) Conn Couf Dolnet Evette Schafer (Buffet) Guardala Holton Indiana (Martin) Jupiter Keilwerth Kessler Custom (Kessler Music) King LA Sax LaVoix (Selmer Martin Oleg Selmer SML Vito Winston Yamaha Yanagisawa These are all great brands that I am sure you can rely on. I'm sure there are a few others (European makes) that I have yet to hear of that are good. BEWARE OF: Dominic, and his cheap saxophones that fall apart in a year, and other ebay deals that are too good to be true! Saxophones under $500. You can't build a quality saxophone for less than about $800! Especially if the ad says it's a "Pro model" saxophone! Saxophones that clame to be "German engineered". They're not made in Germany. They're cheap Chinese made copies of a Keilwerth or B&S design

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dcnblues
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Jim's list of "approved" saxophone brands

I just saw the brand "Cicilio" I think it was for very cheap tenors, altos, sopranos. Are they junk ?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Never heard of them. If it's under $500, I wouldn't even consider it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by KingNecron
        (76 posts)

17 years ago

This is one of the most pathetic attempts at fraud I've ever seen.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Hunter R.
      (13 posts)

14 years ago

I think its Cecilio, there not very good. Sopranos-$300-900 Altos-$400-1100 Tenors-$300-1500 They dont make baritones or basses I believe. Hunter R.

Reply To Post

2. by BopFan
    (1 post)

17 years ago

..so far so good.I have an alto and a soprano. Alto is real good. Soprano is good,but the neck mouthpiece corks came unglued,a trip to the horn tech should rectify the matter. Good if you are a hobbyist. Play these whilst you search for the good YAS student models. Put the cheapie on E-bay(unless you like it) when you get the better horn or bored or when school ends.Better still ,play the schools horn to see if you even like the whole saxophone vibe(I'm not sure myself as yet,I'm a clarinetist (soprano,alto and bass.)If you like your horn(Cicilio)then keep it unless you run into something better. Don't play soprano as a beginning instrument..start on alto and go from there..consider soprano if you can play "Bolero"and you are selected for solo work in your college or high school band or symphonie,make the soprano sax something you familiarize yourself with when you are a committed saxophonist (certain orchestras utilise them and its good when you start looking for work to be able to double on the soprano(Andre' Rieu uses Soprano saxes extensively)or you got some extra dough and wnat to play around with a Soprano sax...

Reply To Post

3. by volhaka
    (1 post)

11 years ago

I've got an Alto Sax from them, and it looked great when it came. I have been using it for 2 years now (not professionally [for school pretty much]), and it's proven it's worth. Has not broken down once. Although when I first got it, it wasn't playable and had to bend the octave key a tad bit down so it'd play, but after that worked like a charm. Through my 2 years of school with it I've been having a great time. It's durable and all around a good alto sax for me at least.

Reply To Post

4. by dalyn_o
    (1 post)

9 years ago

In 6th grade I got an alto sax from them, is worked great for years without any problem. Not one. It's ultimate downfall? My freshman marching season slipping on a muddy football field on top of my saxophone in a marching performance. But yeah as a starter sax pretty good quality. will stay alive(unless a 14 year old player falls on it).

Reply To Post

5. by Ya Boi Ike
    (19 posts)

7 years ago

I own a Cecilio, and think of it this way... It's the beginner instrument for beginners. For the price, they're a steal. I've been playing mine for about two months now and it's been great for learning the instrument and using in my school's marching band. The sound is far from as pleasant as a professional instrument, it's a little squeaky on high notes, and the intonation is sometimes flat. But none of these issues are terrible if you just need a nice beginner option, but if you want a good professional sound, definitely raise your budget

Reply To Post

6. by saxbostic
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

On the brand "Cicilio" they make great horns my friend bought one and i played on it this past winter and its better than most other low price brands. Though im not quite sure how long it will last they look and play great just dont being over involved in how a horn looks since ugly horns can play just as well as pretty horns.

Reply To Post

7. by ashley
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Hey! Don't buy Cecilio, by the way that's how it's spelled. I bought a soprano from them around July. I loved the horn for the first 3 months. After that, it started falling apart, literally. The laquer started peeling, the key inlays started falling off. They actually sound decent, but your going to need a lot of super glue.

Reply To Post

1. by Blondie
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Has anyone heard of a victory titan sax? if so, is it a good investment?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

I doubt that the Victory Titan would be good, and, no, I hadn't heard of it.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Do not know why you'd want to borrow trouble by away from Jim's list. Surely there are enough choices that made the list. I'm sure he tried to think of all possible brands - to the extent of adding in some that are really a bit questionable in his mind - just to make sure he was being fair. The brand you buy depends on who you are, musically speaking, and how wealthy you are. You can buy a literally brand new Selmer Mark VI for $10,000, I noticed recently. Or you can buy a cosmetically challenged Mark VI with new pads, corks and felts that will sound the same for about $4000 maybe. Or you can buy a lightly used, re-padded Yamaha student model for $800 or so. Since there are so many wide-ranging options in the potential purchase of a sax, there will always be questions in the minds of purchasers. But since you're here, at least you have the added resource of an approved brands list. (Thanks again Jim). Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by EDDIEMAC
      (1 post)

17 years ago

I FOUND A TOPSAX ALTO ON EBAY THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A REMAKE OF A SELMER SERIES 2 SA 80 PICTURE COMPARES THEM AND THEY DO LOOK VERY MUCH ALIKE IT COMES WITH A 3 YEAR WARRANTY AND IS PRICED AT 389.00 ANY ADVISE?

Reply To Post

1. by acdcgraphics
        (1 post)

17 years ago

I own one of these horns. I have recommended them, no it's not a Selmer, but I don't know about you, I don't plan on making a living from my horn. It's a really heavy horn, I am very impressed with it. I am very happy to rebuke anyone who is put-off by it when I tell them it's Chinese. Bob Campbell is a very upstanding seller, he fully backs his horns and he is very fair and honest. Try one of his little $399 altos, I think you'll be impressed. The Series IV he makes has some nice touches, reinforced Bb key cups, adjustible thumbrest, my friend just got one of his polished copper altos and she loves it. Nice action, my repairman, who is a professional player, was pleasantly surprised. You just can't beat the price for what you get. I am not paid by Bob, I get no kick-back. I just really like the treatment he gave me, and love the horn he sent.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Eddie- Do you believe that a quality horn can be produced for around $200-$250 or so to allow a retail price of $389? I have not heard of Topsax, but would guess that it's Chinese, and would further guess that it's a poor investment. Spend $500 more- get a Yamaha 23, lightly used - or it's equivalent - and be happy. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

I keep recommending Yamaha 23 to students or budget-minded buyers. But beware the early Japanese horns, Yani as well. They didn't get it right for awhile - weak rods, improper alloys - so I've heard. You can read some interesting info at Jason Dumars' site : www.saxophone.org. - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by tygerlily8888
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Domonic on ebay sells Selmer's. Are they knock offs? If so, why doesn't Selmer go after him for Trademark violation? Does his Selmers fall apart after a year?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

I'm not able to find what you describe on ebay, as "selmer saxophone" turns up too many hits, since many "saxophones" come with "selmer" care kits... Could you supply a link or an auction number? If it is advertised as a Selmer, it may be a Selmer, but Selmer does not limit itself to pro horns. They also have a student line, which includes the AS500 and AS600. Those sell for quite a bit less than the pro line horns. While not being knock-offs, they are not as desirable as the pro line horns. They would likely not fall apart after a year. However, be careful. Many ads say "New Alto Saxophone with Conn/Selmer care kit." These are generally NOT Selmer or Conn saxophones, but no-name saxophones of questionable quality.

Reply To Post

1. by tygerlily8888
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Check out Item no. 120073737864. I went to the Selmer webcite and according to them, Domonic's Music Supply is an Authorized Dealer. The Modle name is Selmer "Artist". I have no idea what grade that is or if it is made in Asia. I also notice some other ebay sellers are selling Selmer Modle No. TS100. I am aware that most of the "Selmer-Conn" referened in the title or description means cleaning kit or mouth peice, only. So far, this guy seems legit, but I think I just might spend the extra $$$ and buy from my local store. Plus, it helps my local economy. The local store has been pushing Jupiter as an excellent brand of saxaphone. It is relativly inexpensive (1,500 for pro modle) compared to Selmer and Yamaha, but when I played often (12 years ago), I never noticed Jupiter for quality of sound. Has this changed? Does anyone else recognize it?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

17 years ago

That tenor looks like a very nice horn, but I don't know how it compares to other Selmers. Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

The Selmer models you refer to are from Selmer-USA. They indeed are not made in either the USA or France. I used to assume they were made in Taiwan, but after reading Steve Goodson's posts - I must say probably made in Asia. Selmer - Paris models are in the $6000 range retail - perhaps $4500 to buy? I would beware of the Jupiter brand. Did it make Jim's list? There are legitimately good horns out there for $1500. How about a lightly used late 1990's Yamaha 62, when it was their top of the line. for instance? Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by tygerlily8888
            (3 posts)

17 years ago

I don't know why I am so facinated with Selmers. The sound quality is much better. I don't think I will buy the "Artist" modle, though . . . I guess I will try playing the Jupiter in the store before I buy. Jupiter is on Jim's list. I've heard others play it before (twenty years ago) and I never really cared for the sound or the quality. I think Jupiter is trying to make a strong come back. Store modles looked as if made with higher quality materials. Seems they are training technitians to service in stores. Perhaps it is a marketing strategy.

Reply To Post

2. by jon henri
          (19 posts)

11 years ago

i seen those too. He had a couple selmer as230 models didnt have the selmer S logo on them, he claims they list for $3998.00 deeply discounted to 12&13 hundred. Poor pics of them, no serial no.. thats enough to make me stay away. Some one should test his mettle. Claims hes a conn selmer dealer too. Danger, danger will robinson

Reply To Post

2. by Aries21
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi: I just found a used Tenor Armstrong on Ebay for almost 400.00 with a case. I am going to pick it up before paying. How will I know if it is good. He mention this "Recently cleaned and serviced for sale." . Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by KingNecron
          (76 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Aries. Buying off of eBay can be tricky, but as an Armstrong owner I can say that 400 bucks is a good deal. I bought my Armstrong about ten years ago this autumn for 500 bucks, and I'm still playing it to this day. This is partly due to necessity, since I can't really afford a new saxophone, but it's been surprisingly versatile and sturdy. It's a great horn if you're doing a lot of traveling and rough gigging--it can take a beating. It might not be the best sounding horn or have the best intonation, but for 400 smackers it's a good deal, especially for a tenor. And you can always turn around and sell it for 500 or 600 to a student starting band. Hope this helps. Rock on.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by newbiesaxmom
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Wow, there's a plethera of choices, and my head is spinning! My child is starting in 6th grade in the fall, and has chosen to play the sax. Rental is $56/month, so I'm looking at purchasing one instead. What do you recommend fot a starter alto sax that will produce good sound, be sturdy, and not cost me 3 months' worth of house payments??

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I have a student Conn Alto from 1970 for sale for $200. Costs about $40 shipping. It worked really well for my daughter for several years. She won a best at site award as a freshman at contest using it. I have a video clip of me playing it if you're interested. On the other hand, the Yamaha YAS 23 is quite plentiful on Ebay... but you take your chances there. That's a very good student horn, too.

Reply To Post

4. by diminishedpower
        (25 posts)

18 years ago

i own an accent brand sop for 1k, which is a selmer copy and it plays better than my schools series 2 sop.

Reply To Post

5. by momx4
        (1 post)

17 years ago

What can you tell me about Schill? I can't seem to find any information about the company (where they are located, how long they've been in business, or any thing else). My daughter will begin her second year of alto sax in the Fall and it seems like it will be a better deal to buy than to rent - for the long haul. What do you suggest as a decent, well priced instrument?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Howdy Mom- I would guess Schill means stay away in Chinese German. Stick to Jim's list - you'll do better. I would recommend a lightly used late 1990's or early 2000's Yamaha Model 62. These are fairly plentiful in the $1500 area and can last your daughter all the way through school - even college. Some pros even use these horns. They are durable and somewhat easier to play in tune than some of the vintage models. If you're blessed with lots of money - you could spend twice as much for a recent Selmer Paris model - also used - or 3 times as much for a 1960's Selmer Paris Mark VI. - - - - - - - Good Luck - - - -

Reply To Post

6. by highskoolsax
        (3 posts)

17 years ago

I am a high school student looking to upgrade my yas23 i have been playing 4 years, i am in 3 bands (jazz, church, and marching) and i am looking for a good pro model under 2300.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Are you happy with Yamaha generally? If so, you should try a Yamaha 62 from the late 1990's or early 2000's. These were their top of the line back then, and you can find lightly used horns around $1500. If you want to change brands, how about a Selmer Reference 36 or 54 - also lightly used around $2500, perhaps? I would recommend something vintage like a late 1930's to late 1940's Conn - but I suspect you'd be happier with a newer horn. - - - Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by highskoolsax
            (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. I will try those out. What do you think about cannonball altos? I tried one out recently.

Reply To Post

1. by highskoolsax
              (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. I will try those out. What do you think about cannonball altos? I tried one out recently.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
              (282 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry - do not have any personal experience with the newer Cannonball brand horns. There certainly is a lot of discussion in this forum on the subject. The early production Cannonball was not a well-made sax. I do not know now for sure. Try a bunch of different horns at a big music store. Take your own mouthpiece and reeds and cleaning suplies. Take notes as you play each one. If the one you like seems to play in tune - as well as you can - and the rods and keys seem sturdy enough to hold up, then find out if you can afford it. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

Are you happy with Yamaha generally? If so, you should try a Yamaha 62 from the late 1990's or early 2000's. These were their top of the line back then, and you can find lightly used horns around $1500. If you want to change brands, how about a Selmer Reference 36 or 54 - also lightly used around $2500, perhaps? I would recommend something vintage like a late 1930's to late 1940's Conn - but I suspect you'd be happier with a newer horn. - - - Good Luck!

Reply To Post

2. by RobGuitar
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I believe the dollar figure for a good sax can not be fixed at a certain amount. This number can go up or down with the changing economy. What is a "good" sax can be subjective, too. If you're just starting out and funding some experimentation, maybe you don't want to put in alot of money. If you've got a few bucks, why not try out something cheap and see what you get? I started buying guitars from China and was getting pretty good quality. They started out pretty shaky in quality, but over the past few years seem to be improving at their game.

Reply To Post

3. by DumbDad
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I am an ignorant father of a talented kid who needs a Tenor Sax before school starts - the rental price for the Tenor is three times what the Alto was, so I am trying to find a decent instrument that I can afford - Almost bought a "Cecilio" until I read this post... Does anyone know anything about "Blessing" instruments? - specifically the Blessing B203?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

Dad- Avoid the Blessing as well as the Cecilio. Is there a problem finding a brand on the list? I know for sure you can get a lightly used late 1990's - 2001 pro-line Yamaha 62 for around $1500-$2000. It would be foolish to try to spend much less. You could certainly spend much more. I prefer Selmer-Paris saxes, Mark VI horns from the late 1950's or early 1960's preferably. These, or the more recent Reference models would likely run $4000 or more. If you feel like he's talented enough to play professionally some day, or even just to play in college, these might be a great idea. My Mark VI tenor has lasted me 45+ years, and earned some good money. The Winston top line horns might suit your son. These would be harder to find used - but around $1000 or so if you could locate. I bought one off E-Bay for under $1000 that looked nearly new. Don't kid yourself that brand new would be a lot better for him. It would be used very soon anyway. Just make sure it's carefully used and well-cared for, whatever brand you buy. The most important thing for his musical development would be private lessons. If you locate a teacher, he or she might help with the horn search. If your son is accomplished enough to be discerning, have him try a bunch of horns at a big music store. Take your own mouthpiece and reeds and cleaning supplies - or buy them there. Incidently, a good rubber mouthpiece will be $100 or more. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

STICK WITH YAMAHA

Reply To Post

4. by renie
          (1 post)

17 years ago

ive been playing the saxophone for 6 years, and i never noticed till about a few days ago that ive still been playing on a beginners saxophone. my director said that i grew out of my saxophone and now im not sure what saxophone i should get. are the brands Giardinelli or Jean Baptiste any good?

Reply To Post

5. by Jnewmann
          (12 posts)

17 years ago

If you would like the scoop on some of the off brand horns, I purchased and played several over this past year out of curiousity. Check out my blog on myspace-www.myspace.com/newmann2

Reply To Post

6. by DSAnsley
          (1 post)

17 years ago

Has anyone owned a Merano Alto Sax?

Reply To Post

7. by WayBeyondSoccerMom
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

My son is in 8th grade, and starting his 3rd year as an alto saxophone player. He has always been first chair, and has been playing with a rented saxophone. We are currently renting a Selmer AS500. To buy out this saxophone from the local music store, we would need to pay $848. We have decided to bite the bullet, and buy him a saxophone, one that will see him through 8th-12th grade and beyond. We belong to Costco, and it is advertising on its website, a Suzuki Pro Classics Alto Saxophone, for $1,599.99, with free Shipping & Handling. And, we can return it if we aren't satisfied. Does anybody know about this particular Saxophone? According to the Costco website, it says about the sax: The World’s leading manufacturer of Musical Instruments present an amazing new way to purchase top quality professional band and orchestral instruments at factory direct prices. Suzuki introduces Pro Classics, an extraordinary line of professional instruments priced up to 50% below comparable models. Each instrument is hand made, one at a time, using only the finest and rarest materials to produce an instrument that is incomparable at any price. Skilled craftsmen use the highest quality fine woods and precious metals, exceptional plating processes, precise assembly, hand engraving, age old varnish techniques and uncompromising quality control to produce an instrument that will perform beyond your expectations. Extreme attention to detail combined with factory direct pricing make Suzuki Pro Classics the new world standard in name brand, affordable, professional band and orchestral instruments. Extraordinary Instruments for the Exceptional Musician. Features: Gold Plated Body and Keys Hand Engraved Log and Bell Perfectly Balanced Stack Keys High F# Key and More Blue Steel Springs Italian Leather Pads Specially Design metal resonators Double Ribbing On Bell Keys Extra Sturdy Key Guards Real Abalone Shell Buttons Gold and Silver Neck Included Outfit Includes: Deluxe Case with Embroidered Logo Color Matched Silk Swab Color Matched Polishing Cloth Cork Grease Neck Strap Hand made Rosewood Reed Case And, here's the link to more info about the Alto Saxophone:

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

16 years ago

Mom- I suppose if one Japanese conglomerate named Yamaha, that we perceived as a motorcycle company when they started exporting instruments to the USA, could muscle into the music business, then another motorcycle company could branch out into this area. When I read Costco's glowing description of their alto sax, all I could picture in my mind was - which plant in Vietnam or Taiwan or Indonesia is making these things? $1600 is not too much to pay for a quality alto - the question is : Why would you be attracted to a brand that no one has heard of - yet anyway - and pin all your hopes on this? I should think that if your son has progressed as fast as I did that after three years of good lessons and practice, that he might be discerning enough to determine what he likes in different saxes. It's up to you to determine if what he says he likes is a quality built horn and not just pretty or some striking colored lacquer or etc. If you have a trustworthy large music store near you, why not have your son take his mouthpiece and some reeds and cleaning supplies and go try out as many as you can. Do not be afraid of used horns. Whatever you buy will be used soon enough. Just be careful with anything approaching abuse on a used horn. Also, you might want to stay away from saxes that are too vintage - the keywork might be uncomfortable or the intonation more difficult. You say he has always been first chair in his section - wonderful! That means he is talented and likely fairly committed to practice. That also means that the horn you buy now might be the horn he is playing 50 years from now. My parents chose the best tenor available for me 45 years ago - and it has served me well, and paid for itself a hundred times over. I'm glad there was no Costco to tempt them away from Selmer-Paris. This does not mean you have to spend $3000 or more on a new Selmer Paris alto. But you should be discriminating in your choice and take your time. You can always rent for another month or two. I know 2 pros who play Yamaha 62 models. They speak highly of them and I know you could obtain a lightly used YAS-62 alto from the late 1990's for $1000-$1500. This was Yamaha's top pro model at that time. They make a YAS-62 II now, that is still a very good horn - just not their top line model. This is just an example of another way you might go. Read a bunch of the recommendations given to previous posters. And Good Luck! Don't hesitate to ask me or someone else for further help. Your son's private teacher might help. If he has none - save some money for that. Private lessons seem imperative to me.

Reply To Post

1. by WayBeyondSoccerMom
              (2 posts)

16 years ago

Donnie, Thank you for taking the time to reply. First, we love Costco and we love its return policy. Second, if we have the chance to get a great quality instrument for our son from Costco, why not? Somebody has to be the first to take a chance, right? My son has taken private lessons for the last two years. He really enjoys the saxophone, but we do have to make him practice each day for 30 minutes. He starts begrudgingly, practices happily, but stops immediately after 30 minutes. His private teacher says he has "perfect pitch" whatever that means. Neither my husband nor I have any musical background. We have only lived in our new town for a year, so we don't really have any musical resources. I wouldn't know a "trustworthy" large music store. We rent from Music & Arts, a franchise. Our son's Band teacher (who plays the alto sax professionally) won't recommend anything. I think he has been burned in the past, by parents, so he won't recommend instruments or private teachers. Maybe it's school / county policy, who knows. Our son's private teacher is a nice man, and when I asked him about buying a sax, he said to buy anything by Yamaha, 60 series or higher. He didn't like Selmer, on principal. And, we are such guppies when it comes to buying anything, I am so fearful of buying "used". That's why we have been renting for 2 1/2 years. And, I don't think my son cleans his instrument very often. Again, I am clueless with instruments so I don't know what to look for, don't know how to tell what kind of shape his rental sax is in. He got it brand new, but we have had to take it in twice, due to jamming keys, and certain sounds not being played properly. Finally, we cleaned his mouth piece after looking up info on the Internet. His private teacher is encouraging us to buy a $100+ mouthpiece (I don't recall the name but he gets it from Europe), but he says that my son's mouth (lips?) aren't positioned properly so he doesn't want him to get a new piece until he corrects his mouth (??) My son is also very reserved. If I took him to a store, I think he would freeze up. And, I don't know if he could figure out what was good or not. In 6th grade, he made first chair on his own, no lessons. But, he was always frustrated when he practiced at home. I finally got him a teacher, and the man said his fingering was all wrong, but regardless, he could play well. It was in the first practice that we were told about our son's perfect pitch. My son is now in 8th grade band and jazz band. To show you how clueless my son is, he told me he found out he had a solo for their next performance, by glancing at the other two alto sax players' music sheets, and he noticed that their music had a big "rest" section. He said, "that must be why I have Alto 1 music and they have Alto 2 music." He hadn't even noticed that they were not playing when he was. He is so internal and focused, until that point, he hadn't noticed they weren't playing when he was. .... Okay, I feel like I am all over the place in my response to you. Back to the Costco / Suzuki model: I had no idea that the sax was brand new to the saxophone playing world, until you wrote that ... although I was kinda coming to that conclusion when Google offered nothing but the Costco website, when I googled "costco suzuki saxophone". That's why I posted at this site. And, you're right: the sax we buy now for him will hopefully be the one that he plays 50 years from now. That would be terrific. Again, thanks, and anything you can offer is helpful.

Reply To Post

2. by beef jerkey
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

I have two tenor saxs both are not very good. I'm looking for a better saxophone to use in the schools top jazz and concert bands. What would be a good new or used saxophone that would be a good value. now I am willing to trade at least one in for the new sax but I dont know which one. My selmer is a student model but it is beat to crap and is in need of an overhaul so I dont know if it is worth more than my vespro which is in good condition but I got it cheap for like $350. what do you think I should do? P.S. I play a yamaha at school but it is used by at least two or three other people and one of them is responsible for it. So I cant really keep useing it but I would like something like it if possible and I have also played a P.maurtin and liked it alot but it might be a stretch in price.

Reply To Post

3. by FrankC
            (1 post)

16 years ago

I"m thinking of buying an alto saxophone and I would just like to get an opinion of which one I shoud get between a Yamaha or a Stagg.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
              (282 posts)

16 years ago

That's kind of like saying - Should I buy a Toyota or a Yugo. Is Stagg on the approved list?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Yamaha vs. Stagg?

If you really have to ask this question, perhaps you would do better to buy a guitar, instead of a saxophone! Or better yet...how about a nice kazoo? Do you see Stagg on my list? NO! Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by NewbieDad
            (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Jim's list of "approved" saxop

I'm (a) bumping this up so it's easier to find, and (b) hoping that Jim will repost the list as it is currently cut off after "Borgan" and I'm sure there were originally way more than three names on it! Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a tenor sax for a new player who will be starting 6th grade band next year, I'm listening. I'm trying to keep the price under $1k and have been trolling Ebay and online stores. Almost grabbed a used Yamaha YTS23 yesterday for $900 but got sniped at the last second.

Reply To Post

5. by oracle200
            (1 post)

16 years ago

Could you please send me the list of approved saxophone brands. Regards, Francis(oracle200)

Reply To Post

6. by newbiesaxmom
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

I am looking to upgrade my daughter's Yamaha YAS-23. Her instructor recommended either the Yamaha YAS-875EX or the Selmer SA 80. She is in middle school, but she's been in first chair all year, and her private instructor and band teacher both said she is very talented, and could go really far with the right instrument. What are your thoughts on these or comparable instruments? I notice that your list of recommended saxes has decreased significantly so wondered how these rate.

Reply To Post

7. by thelittlemarchingone
            (50 posts)

18 years ago

I know this sounds chessy, but saxophone.com saxophones are actaully amazing. I typed saxophone.com into a search engine 4 years ago, and then a year later I wound up with a great saxophone. I thought it was just a joke, that they were cheap Chinese junk, but they weren't. I bought one of thier silver plated tenors for jazz, and I was totally blown away. I could afford about $1200 at the time, and that's what I paid for it. I know that these saxes aren't TOO popular yet, but they seem to becoming more and more popular in the last two years. When I came in to show my director it, he laughed at me and told me it was crap, but then I played it and he was just stunned. If I had the money right now I'd buy and alto and a sop from them, since being a high school student with marching band fees I can't afford it, or any other saxes I want. (If I had it my way I'd have a quartet of Cannonballs by now but that's a long shot, and these saxes are the best I can afford) I would totally put them on the apporval list. Otherwise, I think your list rocks, Jim! If any of you are curious about these saxes, go to saxophone.com and take a look, it's really awesome...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Saxophone.com sells some decent horns for the money, but they also sell a lot of junk. The horn that you bought sounds like one of their better horns that I believe, is made by Antigua Winds. Surprisingly, they're pretty darn good for the money. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by thelittlemarchingone
                (50 posts)

18 years ago

My sax is an actual saxophone.com sax. The also sell the "Gulf" saxophones and "Prestini" saxophones and clarinets, adn I agree with you that those are junk, but thier actaully saxophone.com saxes are great. I've played some Antigua saxophones, and I honestly really don't like them, I prefer my saxophone.com tenor over them. Unless saxophone.com saxophones are made by Antigua but just have the saxophone.com label on them, I guess that's possible, I honestly don't know, but thanks for the info, I didn't know they had anything to do with Antigua winds...

Reply To Post

2. by freyshan23
              (1 post)

15 years ago

Thank you for sharing this information!!! I am looking into playing again and my nephew will be taking his first band class this coming year. I'm trying to find a decent instrument that I can play and he can try to see if he'd like to learn. TENOR Rules! (thanks to my band teacher who wouldn't let me play a different instrument).

Reply To Post

3. by supercally
              (1 post)

14 years ago

I recently bought an Anaxa Chinese Tenor Saxophone off of Ebay. The Saxophone is Excellent. I had a Selmer Bundy Tenor and still own a Selmer Bundy Alto. Prior to this lived in England and owned a Selmer Mk6 Baritone, Selmer Mk6 Alto and Yamaha YTS62 that I bought new from Bill Lewingtons in London. I sold all my Saxophones before I came to live in the US about 15 years ago. I sold the Selmer Bundy Tenor as the Anaxa Tenor is as good as the Yamaha. I think most of the reviews I have read about Chinese Saxophones are from people who either haven't played them of have a vested interest making money on what they are repairing or selling.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
                (653 posts)

14 years ago

personally, if multiple repairmen tell me to stay away from a certain sax, im staying away. Who am i to tell the repairman he doesnt know what hes talking about?

Reply To Post

2. by KevinHorton
                (1 post)

11 years ago

I see you posted about your Anaxa tenor saxophone about 2 years ago.  I was wondering if you could give us an update on how it's holding up?

Reply To Post

4. by PracticeSafeSax603
              (2 posts)

13 years ago

Hi I'm going into my Senior year of High school and my fourth year of Band. I am need of new Tenor saxophone for performances b/c the one i currently have in my possession is a wreck, sucking me dry of $$$ and is a lost cause for any major repair or overhaul. That will be the last time i EVER even THINK of touching a Cecilio again. I am searching today but i am on a buget and can't go over $2,500 listed price. I have found a sax that is real nice, that i like and is below my buget enough to allow room for S&H/P&H. I did some research and it is a reportedly good and fair make and model and is sold by a decently reputable online retailer. I am just seeking advice and want to know if i am in the clear or if going to end up with another wreck within the first year of ownership again.

Reply To Post

5. by PracticeSafeSax603
              (2 posts)

13 years ago

Hi I'm going into my Senior year of High school and my fourth year of Band. I am need of new Tenor saxophone for performances b/c the one i currently have in my possession is a wreck, sucking me dry of $$$ and is a lost cause for any major repair or overhaul. That will be the last time i EVER even THINK of touching a Cecilio again. I am searching today but i am on a buget and can't go over $2,500 listed price. I have found a sax that is real nice, that i like and is below my buget enough to allow room for S&H/P&H. I did some research and it is a reportedly good and fair make and model and is sold by a decently reputable online retailer. I am just seeking advice and want to know if i am in the clear or if going to end up with another wreck within the first year of ownership again. The model is a Steve Goodson Tenor Black; and it is being sold by Jazzming Sound.com Here is a Link: jazzming.com/sg_ten_blk.html

Reply To Post

6. by Tom Pearson
              (5 posts)

11 years ago

Hello,

My grand daughter (7th grade) is following a multi-generational family tradition of playing the Sax.   She currently is playing the Buescher Alto that her Uncle played in the early 1980s.  I am having problems identifying it when looking at the Buescher Sax Info Data.   The Sax has nickle plated keys, rods, etc. with a lacquered body.  The engraving on the bell is Buescher Aristrocrat 2000.  Serial number 834826 which makes it after the Selmer takeover.   The 2000 designation is what is throwing me, it is not listed anywhere.   Any help on this? 

Thanks,

Tom

Reply To Post

7. by GFC
              (842 posts)

11 years ago

This sorf of list is meaningless because even among the "good" brands there are models that are complete dogs.  Anybody who wishes to know whether a particular horn is good or not should know the model and approximate serial number, and inquire among those familiar with the specific model they are considering.  But even the best models from the best years will not be worthwhile if they are seriously damaged.  Consult the saxophone buyer's guide under the "resources" tab on this site to familiarize yourself with the rudiments of buying new or used saxophones.  With that said, it is time for this thread to quietly fade away.

Reply To Post

8. by Ned
              (2 posts)

11 years ago

Jim: I saw that you listed Winston as one of the approved saxes so I just purchased a Winston Pro 1 tenor sax from Branford Consignment. It is fully refurbished and looks great on ebay. Paid $450. Good/bad deal? Since then I noticed several bad reviews. What is your opinion of this Winston brand. Can a beginner/intermediate play it? Can't find much on the Winston Tenor sax on youtube or elsewhere. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated to calm my nerves.  - Ned

Reply To Post

9. by ChrisL87
              (3 posts)

10 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what Antigua Alto Saxophone I have based on the serial number 95662534? My cousin just shipped me her old high school Sax she doesn't use and I really want to get back into playing. I have sent it in to my guy for a complete overhaul. Is it worth keeping or should I sell it? I see it's number one on your list, but I'm not sure what level this instrument is... I'm assuming intermediate. My aunt said she paid about $500 for years ago.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Christopher Ljucovic RN, CCMA, EMT-B

Christopher Ljucovic RN, CCMA, EMT-B

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by rachelkk
              (1 post)

9 years ago

Have you ever heard of HRSD alto saxophone? I'm looking for one for my son to start on, so I don't want to spend too much, but I'm afraid to spend too little... Not sure what brand to trust, without breaking the bank.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
                (842 posts)

9 years ago

You'd be better off starting your own thread asking for advice on finding a good beginner's horn for a reasonable price, either in this forum or under General Discussions.  This thread outlived whatever usefulness it may have had long ago.

Reply To Post

11. by parymich777
              (1 post)

8 years ago

I'm looking for a first sax for my daughter, intermediate as she has been playing for a few years now and I want something decent to last. I saw a used one on kijiji for $700, he says it is a LA sax, nasty black, not sure how old it is exactly he says a few years, seems in decent condition. Do you know how this plays and if it's worth the investment?

Reply To Post

12. by MaestroC
              (1 post)

8 years ago

I've got to add my two cents to this thread...  I know it is old but this topic keeps coming up even today in 2015 and the arguments against low cost instruments are starting to wear thin...

I've been teaching band to beginners for the last twenty years and have started hundreds of new sax players.  The whole debate about instrument brands and quality has raged for that whole time and in my opinion at this stage of the game everyone needs to take a deep breath and accept that the low cost and cheap store brands are here to stay.  

In addition, these days the low cost brands are not always the crap that people claim they are.  The manufacturers have really got their act together over the last five to six years and I can tell you from personal experience that 75% of my new 5th grade sax players come in with Cecelio or Etude brand saxes and I almost never have any problems with them.  The most common ailment is the neck octave key getting bent slightly out of shape requiring a bit of muscle to curve it back to where it opens and closes properly.

Now, the purist will say something about "but those saxes play out of tune, etc." Guess what?  The kids that buy them are beginners!  They ALL sound out of tune.  But my argument in support of low cost instruments is much more simple than that.  It comes down to pure economics: 

If a family can afford a $1500 sax then they will buy it.  

If they can't afford it their son WON'T play in band.  It's as simple as that.  

The introduction of low cost instruments has opened doors to thousands of students that might not otherwise ever be able to afford to play if they had to buy an expensive, name brand horn.  I'd rather have the kid in the band than out of it.

The quality and durability might not be as good as we would like but for a beginner they are totally adequate in most cases.  I can think of only one instance in the last ten years (and thousands of students) where the kid was truly stifled by a bad quality instrument.  This was back in the very beginning of the low cost craze and that instrument (a trumpet in this case) was truly crap.  Since that time though I have seen my program grow and expand to where some years I teach over 150 kids!  I attribute part of that to the fact that instrument prices have come down so significantly over the years.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting...  In closing though just let me summarize, while ten years ago cheap Chinese instruments were crap, today in my opinion today they are fine with one stipulation:  As long as you find a brand that can be serviced by your local repair shop in the event of a problem there is no reason why a student should be shamed for walking in the door with a $300 sax.  

A professional or even a serious high school student would probably never seriously consider buying a $300 sax, but those instruments are not intended for those kids of musicians.  They are intended to give a kid a chance at getting started as a musician by  being in the school band.

Now that I have stopped raning I will mention that I actually did a lot of research into this stuff a few years ago as a part of my work as a writer for NAfME's Teaching Music Magazine.  It all came bubbling back to my memory when I happened across this thread today searching for some info on one of the brand names mentioned.  The gist of that research (pros and cons, interviews and opinions of industry professionals, etc.) is in a series of articles I wrote on the subject.  I won't paste in a direct link for fear of getting this post taken down but if you are interested do a google search for "cheap instruments site:musicedmagic.com" and you can find them.

Keep calm and play on!

Sincerely,
              Chad Criswell 

Reply To Post

13. by franko48
              (2 posts)

8 years ago

Hello,
                 I like your discussion.  I am looking into buying a student grade alto saxophone and presently I have been presented with a choice between two very good condition instruments. One being a King 613 and the other a Vito.  I think they are probably about the same quality but I would appreciate your opinion.  Thanks,
              Franko48 

Reply To Post

14. by maxessaxes
              (1 post)

8 years ago

Vito is junk. I got one a year ago and it's a piece of junk. Supposedly they did a bunch of work when they sold it to me. I have broken keys and will need to re cork the neck for the 3rd time. 

Reply To Post

15. by K_Sisk
              (1 post)

7 years ago

Does anyone know about Allora Paris AATS-801 its $1,799.00 on Music and Arts... Is it worth buying?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
                (420 posts)

7 years ago

Not a great saxophone. There are much better saxophones in that price range. Call Saxquest or check out their web site. Any model of Chateau would be a better choice. Best of Luck!!

Reply To Post

16. by Reidterm
              (1 post)

7 years ago

What about Taishan

Reply To Post

17. by cdsmith
              (1 post)

6 years ago

Hi, Jim. I recently came across the brand "Ammoon". I couldn't find a lot about them on the Internet, but I found videos of people playing Ammoon's instruments and the quality of the sound was quite good. I've been playing Alto for a while now on a really good Yamaha, but I'm looking to go into Soprano now and I'm just looking for something to mess around on and get a feel of the intrument with. If anybody knows about Ammoon please let me know what you've experienced. Thanks a million.

Reply To Post

18. by Neri the Cherry
              (1 post)

4 years ago

Great list, but what about Jean Paul?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
                (644 posts)

4 years ago

You cant take this ancient thread seriously today.

Those who make saxophones have either advanced their manufacturing or no longer exsist.

This topic truly deserves a new present day thread.

14 years is a long time in the manufacturing field.

Reply To Post

19. by barisaxguy14
              (14 posts)

19 years ago

So i guess i shouldn't have bought a maxtone copy of a sa80II for $241?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
                (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"So i guess i shouldn't have bought a maxtone copy of a sa80II for $241?" No, I wouldn't recommend a Maxtone, but how's it working for you? At least you have a sax! Play it till it breaks and then buy a better one!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

20. by Jonathan_sfyee
              (15 posts)

18 years ago

Jim, I think that P. Mauriat saxes should be included in the list as well. They may be made in Taiwan, but they are great saxes. The materials are from France and the build quality and action of the horn is good. I play an older model PMST-66R and I just love it.

Reply To Post

21. by mhodges
              (2 posts)

18 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on the Selmer USA Omega Alto Saxophone for a high school student playing in concert and jazz band? Would this be a good horn choice?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
                (282 posts)

17 years ago

Probably too late to help, but I have seen kids have good luck with USA Selmers. The prevalent opinion, if you're spending $800-$1000, is to buy a Yamaha for a student however. There are some re-padded vintage horns that might turn the kid on also. At this point in his development, he'll need a boost of some sort to continue past high school. Getting a vintage Martin or Conn might excite him. You know - remind him of some of the greats who played his model of horn or etc. Can you afford more private lessons for him? Will he practice? A vintage horn might be harder to control than a new Selmer or Yamaha, so he might have to practice more. Best of Luck.

Reply To Post

22. by LMB123
              (4 posts)

18 years ago

Beginning Sax

I have a son in elementary school who is starting the alto sax. I was surprised to learn they are $250 per year to rent. Seems like a waste. Which brand would you recommend in the $500 range for a beginner? I noticed you said a sax under $500 is terrible. Any other suggestions? Should I just rent for a year instead? LMB

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
                (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Beginning Sax

Often a music dealer will let you apply the rental money toward purchase. When you're talkin about a horn worth several thousand dollars, 250 doesn't sound so high. You might want to check into buying a used horn. You can often get a decent used horn for under $500.

Reply To Post

23. by uncrazy99
              (12 posts)

19 years ago

I wish I would have seen this 6 months ago when I was looking for a new sax! I was using the Vito from LeBlanc aka nasty student level sax I started on in 5th grade. So in 10th grade I upgraded...I found a Yamaha YAS-52 on EBAY for $500. We spent $500 to get it fixed up, and it's in really nice condition!! I know some ebay deals are too good to be true, but I am REALLY happy that I got a great professional level yamaha for $1000.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
                (323 posts)

19 years ago

well given whatever else some of which i dont really approve of i mean i do for certain things but i wouldnt play em' but one you forgot was rampone and cazzani (sp?) they are pretty good you should check those out some time

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
                  (602 posts)

18 years ago

I agree, rampone and cazzani make very dark, warm sounding horns and awsome intonation...they're very similar to the yanagisawas.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by marge2sons
                    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Played a R&C silver alto that was awesome.Low end was as good as it gets and very lush and sparkling up high.Used a hard rubber Bay mp with various reeds.

Reply To Post

2. by NewSax
                  (8 posts)

19 years ago

What can you tell me about OLDS brand saxes today? Might this brand be added to the "approved" list???This name seems to be back after a number of years with a full line of student/intermediate products? I've been told they are from Taiwan, but of reasonable quality and with a good warranty. Has anyone worked on them? Tone, intonation, tibre, robustness? Feedback is appreciated. Any idea who makes things for them? I've heard some connection possible to LA Sax???? Any connection to any other brands? Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by claribari
                (6 posts)

18 years ago

Yamaha 52's are intermediate level saxes...althougth they do sound pro.

Reply To Post AIM

24. by blue_spring
              (1 post)

18 years ago

Have you tried the Gary Sugal saxophones? What's your opinion on them?

Reply To Post

25. by AJSHOPE
              (2 posts)

18 years ago

What do you think about Titan? My girlfriend's brother is getting ready to go into 6th grade and he wanted to play the clarinet but now that he knows that I played the sax and still have a sax, he wants to play the sax. I started out with a used Conn about 11 years ago, but I got a Yamaha YAS-52 for graduation to take with me to Syracuse, so I know the really good saxes, but my girlfriend's mom doesn't have a ton of money to spend on a sax.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
                (964 posts)

18 years ago

If you can't spend the money for a good new sax, go with used. There are tons of vintage student horns out there, for not much money. I have a student MexiConn Alto I'm going to try to sell locally. I'm listing it at $300, but likely will have to negotiate down some. However, if you'd be willing to risk Ebay PAY ATTENTION TO DESCRIPTION AND RETURN POLICIES (and shipping), you may get a good DECENT horn for much less. About a year ago, used YAS23's were going for less than $300.

Reply To Post

26. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

A couple other names to add to the list: Trevor James; This is a Brittish company, and I have only seen one tenor here in the US. I was quite impressed with it, and they seem to be a well made instrument. So, for my friends across the pond, Trevor James looks to be a pretty good deal! P. Mauriat: At first, I wasn't sure if they were worthy of all the publicity they have been receiving, but these are REALLY nice horns that do not cost a lot of money! I would most definately recommend one! There are a few Italian made horns that are very good; Prestini, Borgani (as mentioned above) and a few others. Italian horns don't often receive the respect that they really deserve. I have seen many very nice Italian horns sell for nearly the same price as the junk Chinese horns. Also, beware of names that SOUND familiar, like Selman, for example, and "American" sounding names, like Millwaukee and others. These companies often make outrageous claims about their products; trying to fool the consumer into thinking that they are buying a saxophone that normally retails for $3,500 for around $200. They're counting on your lack of experience. They're hoping that you will confuse their name "Selman" with Selmer; a company known for making some of the world's finest saxophones. They're hoping that when you hear their American sounding names, that you will think their product is a quality American made product, but they are not! Now, I would HOPE that mose readers would be SMART ENOUGH to realize that you CAN NOT buy a $3500 saxophone for $200!!! Sure, there is a bit of a mark-up on some of these horns, and to a certain extent, you ARE paying for the name, but NOT ONLY THE NAME, the recognition and quality, the history and tradition, blah blah blah, you get my drift. But that IS worth something, is it not? Think about it. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by gemster
                (51 posts)

17 years ago

Trevor James :D

Reply To Post

27. by saxy_bari
              (1 post)

17 years ago

Conn 12M Naked Lady, how would you rate this sax, seen one for a very respectable price that has been compleatly overhauled

Reply To Post

28. by Blondie
              (2 posts)

17 years ago

what about a victory titan sax?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
                (964 posts)

17 years ago

Nope.

Reply To Post

29. by Saxicide
              (3 posts)

17 years ago

Anybody heard of a brand called "Thor"? Now I'm pretty happy with my yamaha something-or-other (I looke dit up once, but I forgot, and I can't exactly drag it out since it's sitting in the band room waiting for the football game) But I saw a "Thor" brand vinatge sax in an antique store this morning, and I'm very curious. I've never heard of this brand before, has anybody here?

Reply To Post

30. by saxmom13
              (4 posts)

17 years ago

Looking for a new sax for my 7th grader, he got his older brother's hand me down first sax last year to start with, it has been through the ringer. We are looking at these Yamaha YAS52, Selmer AS500 and a Selmer AS701, on Ebay, what do you think?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Donnie The B
                (282 posts)

17 years ago

Sounds like you're looking in the right territory Saxmom #2. I think the American Selmers are supposed to be fine student horns and I know the Yamaha 52 would be. Get that kid a private teacher - most important thing! - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

31. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

17 years ago

Someone asked where to find this thread, so I'm just bumping it up.

Reply To Post

32. by igiwt
              (1 post)

17 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the Borgani...

Can anyone tell me if the Borgani brand is the same "Borg" Sax that is being sold at Sam's Club? If not, does anyone know if the "Borg" is a quality instrument? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
                (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Can anyone tell me if the Borgani...

I guess you can't fight the urge to save a buck. Just look at all the brands listed by Jim. Don't you think he tried to think of everything remotely worthy? There's even a comment about these Sam's Club wonders elsewhere here. Read the list- stick to it, although I think Jim would now add a Taiwan brand - P. Mauriat. And I suspect Saxgourmet and Gary Sugal horns would qualify if he got a chance to try them and see how they hold up. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

33. by The Insomniac Saxman
              (141 posts)

17 years ago

Here's a good rule to follow: NEVER BUY A HORN NAMED AFTER A BIRD (i.e. "Parrot," "Lark," etc.). A lot of repair techs won't even touch them. A number of years ago I had a student who struggled for a year with a Parrot alto sax (her father bought it new because of the price, of course, without consulting me), until after months of telling him that she would be better off with a good used horn, he finally broke down and bought her an older Conn . . . she ended up doing very well after that.

Reply To Post

34. by ?altosax?
              (3 posts)

18 years ago

I just spent a $100 at an estate auction for an old silver alto sax. Its pretty tarnished, but solid and cleanable. It says on the bell "AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL" and on the back is the serial number 1755 and under that is an "L". I am trying to find info about this horn. I know its probably an antique. It came with the original wooden case lined with purple velvet. I assume it was made by the American Music Company, but I could be wrong. I've been searching the internet and coming up short. Simply, HELP. I want to know stuff like possible age, manifacturer name, is it a pro horn, or even some resouces to find info. At wits end, James

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GeneraloftheSaxArmy
                (4 posts)

18 years ago

What about Unison? You forgot. They make good horns occasionally. Be careful, but my curved soprano is a beautiful sounding horn.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

18 years ago

They make good horns OCCASIONALLY; unfortunately not often enough to make my list! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
                    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Rhueben Allen has since taken over the helm under the name of "Hollywood Winds" and is making an excellent product. Give them a try . . .

Reply To Post

2. by claribari
                  (6 posts)

18 years ago

Try looking on saxgourmet.com for stencil info...your sax was most likely made by a major manufaturer for an off brand, or stencil.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by straightj23
                    (103 posts)

18 years ago

At Woodwind & Brasswind, I see Allora saxophones selling very well. What's wrong with them?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
                      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I like this list--and wish it was easier to find. I'm bumping it up, at least for today.

Reply To Post

2. by ?altosax?
                    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you. I found out I actually have a 1910/1930s C-melody saxophone. It is a stencil horn and the American Music Company went out of business in 1942. Thanks so much.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by gottydot
                      (41 posts)

18 years ago

What do you think of the Conn Shooting Star? Mine was....made in Mexico. It's 1970's.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
                      (964 posts)

18 years ago

It depends. Some are not good, others are okay. We have one that's pretty good, an alto from the '70's also.

Reply To Post

3. by mels
                      (13 posts)

18 years ago

I second the vote for P. Mauriats. I couldn't believe the look and the sound of the PMXT 66R.

Reply To Post

4. by KingNecron
                      (76 posts)

18 years ago

I can't believe I've been on this forum for so long and it wasn't until now that I found this list. And seeing "Armstrong" up there just made my day--my good ol' saxophone has been validated by the master himself, Jim.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by jgamboa
                      (1 post)

18 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. My son is starting 6th grade band and I was unsure whether to buy or rent, or what brand, etc. I now have a list (Jim's list) and look forward to sharing/receiving more feedback. I was about to buy a "Borg" sax from Sam's Club per one of my co-worker's advice. I'm glad I found this list, I will go look at a Vito today that we might rent to own... Thanks again!! Juan C. Gamboa

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
                      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Halleluia!!!!

Reply To Post

7. by definition
                      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Hehe.. I had a Borg that a student brought into the shop for repair. I fixed the problem and was doing a playtest when I had a solder failure on a post most spectacularly - def not something worth having when it falls apart in your hands!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by yaqushi
                      (1 post)

17 years ago

Can somebody give me advice for this saxophone.com shop? Im absolut newbie in this filed, but would like to start with an Alto. I saw in this shop a modell AS-641BS black plated with silver keys. Looks awesome, but as Jim wrote already above, some horns there are just crap and some are from Antigua Winds made. So how do i find out, if this one is crap or a good one and how do i know which company have produced this AS-641BS? At least it was in the Professional section on theirs site...

Reply To Post

9. by Donnie The B
                      (282 posts)

17 years ago

I would definitely recommend sticking to the list. The sooner you get over the idea of looks equaling value or usability the better. You'll be so sorry someday if you buy one of these goofy colored saxes, probably including black. This is a sales gimmick for what seems to be mainly cheap Chinese horns, although they may have talked majors into following this trend somewhat. I still say- get a private teacher before you buy -- they can really help, and may know of some great deals. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

10. by AE
                      (11 posts)

17 years ago

when you say goofy colored saxes. Would that include brands that are on the list like Yamahas that make saxes that are black and silver and other colrs of lacquer.

Reply To Post

11. by Donnie The B
                      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah, you're right. It seems like the major brands have been convinced to follow this trend of colored lacquer - I had not looked at a sax catalog in years. Still I say to youngsters, don't invest in a great sax in purple or cherry or orange - or even black! It might be the only sax you'll ever own. And I suspect the trend in recent years toward colored lacquers will look pretty goofy in 40-50 years. Or maybe we'll all be playing purple saxes then! - - - Later.

Reply To Post

12. by Saxicide
                      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Play tenor! Or Bari! There aren't enough of them! At least in highschool band...we are overrun with altos, and we must bribe them to play the lower saxes...

Reply To Post

13. by AE
                      (11 posts)

17 years ago

I play the tenor sax for 2 years and love it. Unfortunitly our band teacher switched a kid to bari and now he thinks he is god. He, himself, plays louder than all of our flute clarinets and bass sections combined. thats overall around 25 people.

Reply To Post

14. by Seano
                      (132 posts)

17 years ago

A bit of numbing cream on his reed will do the trick... lol no I'm joking, don't do that its not cool. By the way P.Mauriat should be added to that approved list...If you agree, Jim.. Sean

Reply To Post

15. by Seano
                      (132 posts)

17 years ago

Oh! Also add Inderbinen. These horns are ridiculously expensive, but they are AWESOME check out the site www.inderbinen.com

Reply To Post

16. by Brandon_1023
                      (34 posts)

17 years ago

I love the tenor to and I've played it for 2 years oh and our barisax thinks hes a god to and hes good but he knows better than to play over the whole band....oh and hes my squad leader in marching band...lol..he crazy but yeah I agree there are to manny altos but if alto is what floats your boat then play it .....I think our schools need some soprannos? thaht would be interesting.

Reply To Post

17. by Brandon_1023
                      (34 posts)

17 years ago

I love the tenor to and I've played it for 2 years oh and our barisax thinks hes a god to and hes good but he knows better than to play over the whole band....oh and hes my squad leader in marching band...lol..he crazy but yeah I agree there are to manny altos but if alto is what floats your boat then play it .....I think our schools need some soprannos? thaht would be interesting.

Reply To Post

18. by Brandon_1023
                      (34 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

19. by sultanofsax
                      (31 posts)

17 years ago

These new cheap sax's just are not a secure way to go. Some are good, some arent, just as anything is. Older conns, martins, beuschers and kings are good horns, and if they are nothing fancy, and not too old, they are well priced. Some 60's and 70's conn 10ms' are fairly cheap in price, but great horns. a friend of mine had a new jupiter and it was total crap. I am not saying every Jupiter is junk, but his was. I am just a fan of vintage, good sound horns. Just find one that feels good, and is in your budget. I would recoomend staying away from Taiwan and chineese horns, unless it is the only way to play. YAS-23 are solid sax's and are fairy cheap for a used one.

Reply To Post

20. by delete
                      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Hi, Was just wondering about the history and quality of the Schenkelaar saxaphones. They were a dutch model no longer in production. Any info appreciated thanks.

Reply To Post

3. by sopranosax
                    (1 post)

17 years ago

Should a student who played Flute for 3 years switch to a student or intermediate soprano sax?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
                      (282 posts)

17 years ago

There is usually not much call for - or music for - a soprano sax in high school band. Is this just your idea of a good horn to play or is there some demand? Soprano seems kind of hard to play in good tune to me. This might make it a bad choice as the first sax for someone to play. If you are determined to get one, how about an E.M. Winston well cared for, but used model? You can get one of these for maybe $400. If that doesn't thrill you, what about renting to own a more expensive horn. That way if it doesn't suit you, you could turn it back in. Another bit of advice - get a private instructor before any purchase and let them help and advise. - - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

4. by Pressure Drop
                    (10 posts)

17 years ago

This kid in one of my school's performance groups plays a "Monique" alto sax, with a Meyer mouthpiece which itself is worth over $100. He is, in reality, a bass player and doesn't look to continue his playing after we graduate. He bought the horn on eBay for like $500 about four years ago, and as far as I know there's been no problems (relating to its falling apart). He told me he'd give me the whole thing (mouthpiece included) for $150. Looking only to use the alto as personal entertainment, does anbody think this would be a good idea?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
                      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Since you can get a brand new Monique alto on ebay for about $100, paying $150 for one that's five years old doesn't seem wise, even with a $100 mouthpiece. Stick with the better brands listed in this thread.

Reply To Post

1. by upchucked
                        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Let me start by saying that I played a clarinet in high school, and haven't touched one since 1959. I wasn't good then and certainly don't profess to knowing anything now. I am, to use the vernacular, a lamb waiting for the slaughter. Now, with that out of the way. My granddaughter (age 11) is a clarinet player. She has been playing for about 3 years and is actually quite good. Has made all county band and sits first clarinet in her middle school band. When she first started, I bought her a cheap clarinet on e-bay and three months later had to buy another. We then went with Yamaha and she seems quite pleased. Now, three years into her music and looking to improve and move on, she wants to start playing the soprano sax. I did some searching and had pretty much decided on a Yanigasawa S901, but wanted to ask around a little first. The local musical instrument rental company has offered to rent me a Copper something or other, I think he may have meant Cannonball, but not 100% sure. Said I can buy it new for $1,500, or rent for about $90 a month. I suspect that I would buy rather than rent and sell if she loses interest. So, given that I can buy an S901 for under $2,400, does it make any sense to buy this other thing for $1,500? Is the S901 appropriate for this level of player? She has been told that she won't be able to play in the school band with this instrument, as they don't want the soprano sax in the woodwind section, but she may be able to solo on it at performances, or even join one of the jazz or dance ensembles in high school. She can continue her clarinet for regular band and concert use and play the sax on a limited basis. . At the moment she is practicing about 30 minutes a day as well as whatever she gets at school, and says she will spend an equal amount of time with the sax. Money isn't really the object, but I do want to be sure that I am doing right by her. Help for the musically challenged is gratefully appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by sarikosan
                          (1 post)

16 years ago

I can't really help you on with the issue of which horn to buy her (I inherited both my altos from my parents and am currently playing on a school-owned soprano), but I'd think twice about letting her jump directly from clarinet to soprano sax. Admittedly it would be easier, since not much would change as far as keys and the like goes, but there is currently next to nothing out there written specifically for soprano unless you want to delve into the realm of Japanese art music (and similar), something which very few middle schools are willing to do. I may just be biased, but I'd start her on something a bit more commonplace first (like the alto or tenor) to see if she even likes playing the sax before moving on to soprano.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
                          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I'd vote for the Yanigasawa.

Reply To Post

3. by KingNecron
                          (76 posts)

17 years ago

Yanigasawa all the way. IF the other horn is a Cannonball, it sounds like a decent deal, but you aren't even sure of that (and if the seller doesn't know, then I'd be wary). But if money isn't an object, go for the Y. I don't know much about them, other than that they're extremely expensive, but their sopranos are supposed to be pretty amazing. Unfortunately, she WON'T get to play much in band on soprano, but it has a lot of other great applications, like jazz band soloing. Plus, soprano is just really cool, once you actually start to sound good on it (which shouldn't be too hard on a Y). Finally, based on my very little experience, I would recommend going for a curved bell if Yanigasawa offers it. First, they just look cooler, but the sound will project outward, instead of down into the floor like with a straight soprano.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by upchucked
                          (2 posts)

17 years ago

It is indeed a Cannonball. I spoke with them yesterday afternoon and they said that there were a couple of models available, with the least expensive being around $1450 and the most expensive at $1650. They gave me the exact numbers but I didn't bother to write them down, as I have pretty much decided upon the Yanagasawa 901. Simply, my granddaughter is very talented and a really exceptional child (takes after her grandfather!!) and if she starts playing, it is very, very unlikely that she will give it up. In looking around, I can get the 901 for about $2300 and if it becomes necessary to sell it in the future, I am sure that I can get almost that amount on e-bay or some other auction site. Her Yamaha Clarinet is 3+ years old and looks like it just came from the factory, and I would expect nothing less on the sax. I am inquiring locally about some private lessons for her, the music shop where I got the quote on the Cannonball has a sax instructor who is a music teacher and who charges $25/$50 per 1/2-1 hour sessions. The only drawback with that is distance, as it is an hour from the house to their shop. If anyone knows an instructor in the Northern Dutchess, Southern Columbia, Eastern Ulster County area of New York [as in Rhinebeck, Kingston, Hudson], I would be interested. Thanks again for all the help.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
                        (282 posts)

17 years ago

While I can understand her attraction to the soprano, I don't know if it would be a wise choice at her age. There is no music for the soprano in most dance/jazz band charts I have seen - other than reading off a tenor sax part. Most orchestras do not have a call for the soprano and most school bands don't either. The soprano sax is a bit harder to play in tune than the larger saxes. If she were to get an alto or tenor sax, the learning curve would be similar, but the usefulness would be greater. You can get a Yamaha 52 in used, but near new condition for under $1000, I think. Another way you might go on any sax for an 11 year old would be an E.M. Winston. I actually bought one of their top line tenors for use at some gigs where I don't want a $7000 horn sitting on the bandstand. It seems fine for the most part, and I still sound like me. The tenor was under $1000 slightly used. I'm considering a soprano for under $400, in near new shape. (I can use the soprano at times in a jazz combo). I've been playing for 44 years and led a big band for a decade. I'm not an expert on youngsters, but I do know they greatly benefit from private instructors. Spend less on the horn right now and more on a teacher? - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by altoplayer2011
                      (2 posts)

17 years ago

i found a repadded buescher (sp?) vintage 1920s soprano sax at my local music store. the man told me the serial numbers and all that but i dont remember them. The sellew was asking for $1400 to get out of it what he put in. I can probably get it for cheaper. is this a good deal?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
                        (282 posts)

17 years ago

If I was going to get a 1920's soprano, I'd probably get a Buescher. They are fairly highly thought of. I'd make sure the keywork did not hurt my hands or wrists. See if you can play the thing mostly in tune top to bottom. And realize you can get a near new soprano for less than that and then weigh the benefits of vintage vs. modern. --- - - Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
                        (282 posts)

17 years ago

If I was going to get a 1920's soprano, I'd probably get a Buescher. They are fairly highly thought of. I'd make sure the keywork did not hurt my hands or wrists. See if you can play the thing mostly in tune top to bottom. And realize you can get a near new soprano for less than that and then weigh the benefits of vintage vs. modern. Incidently, a repad is more like $200 than $1400. - - - Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by akins525
                          (1 post)

17 years ago

I haven't played in a few years, and I am looking to get back into the game. Any thoughts on getting a Selmer 1244 to get re-acquainted?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxyboy
                            (52 posts)

17 years ago

The Selmer (USA) Model you mention is probably a decent choice, but may not be much like the French Selmers you might remember. The USA horns are made in Taiwan, I believe. Which is not the condemnation that Made In China still mostly deserves. Saxes branded: P.Mauriat, E.M. Winston, F.E. Olds, and Steve Goodson are all, I believe, made in Taiwan. These are all fairly highly regarded now. The Steve Goodson horns have some marvelous innovations in design. The P. Mauriat saxes are making new fans every day, while I heard that the new F.E. Olds brand may be even higher quality than these others. As for E.M. Winston, they aim mainly at schools, with a quality product for a reasonable price. They may have different lines, as I noticed one of the old timers in here broke down and got a Winston tenor, even though he had been a self-proclaimed Selmer (Paris) snob. He said he would use the Winston on certain gigs and his Selmer on others. Since you're wanting to get back into playing, why not consider getting a private instructor before you decide which horn to buy? They might be of immense help. Otherwise, I always say - try a bunch of them and buy the one that fits.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
                            (291 posts)

17 years ago

I don't know why you would think the Steve Goodson Model saxophones are made in Taiwan, because they are NOT made there. Insofar as a list of "approved" brands, I've really got to take issue with this list as submitted. Many brands are ommitted. Only partial information is given about some brands, For example, are we talking about USA, Japanese, Chinese, or Indonesian made Yamahas? B&S horns made in Germany or Viet Nam? Keilwerths made in China or assembled in Germany from imported components? Buffets made in China or France? The point being that there is a tremendous variation out there, and unfortunately very few people outside the industry are aware of the difference, which are often quite substantial. A list of "approved" brand names is really meaningless, as a name or trademark often appears on many totally different instruments.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
                            (282 posts)

17 years ago

Well he did say that he believed Steve Goodson saxes were made in Taiwan. Where is your line of horns made? They do seem to be higher quality than the Chinese horns I've seen. I'm quite surprised to learn of all the different plants for Yamaha and had no idea China had anything to do with Keilwerths nor Viet Nam regarding any brand of saxes. As always Steve - we appreciate you correcting misperceptions that we all develop and also appreciate your devotion to music.

Reply To Post

4. by STEVE GOODSON
                            (291 posts)

17 years ago

There's lots going on in the saxophone manufacturing world that is pretty much kept secret from consumers. The horns that are being bought by end users are often not made by the companies that market them (this includes most of the "big names) and are often assembled by subcontractors. There have recently been several new major factories built in Asia, including a state of the art one just outside of Ho Chi Min City in Viet Nam. This particular factory is owned by the largest saxophone producer in Asia (and probably the world) and has all of the very latest equipment. The owner also has multiple factories in Taiwan and China, and the experienced managers and technicians from these factories have gotten the Viet Nam plant off to a very good start. The quality is extremely high, and they are currently making horns there for quite a few brands "you would easily recognize". Yamaha has moved a great deal of their production to China, and I haven't heard any complaints about the quality. They also have a relatively new facility in Indonesia. All of the Conn-Selmer horns are Asian made (most Chinese), as are the Buffet horns. Keilwerth has been making horns in Asia for many years (a very good friend of mine makes them) and has recently closed their German saxophone factory and moved saxophone assembly to the old Schrieber bassoon plant. The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter at all where a horn is manufactured. The only important thing is quality. Some really bad horns have been manufactured in the USA and Europe over the years, and saxophone production has pretty much moved to where you can get the job done right. That's generally Asia. We don't discuss vendor information. Our instruments contain components from seven different countries and final assembly and adjustment is done at our facility in San Antonio, Texas. We maintain strict confidentiality agreements with all of our suppliers. We don't buy any instruments "off the shelf". All of our horns are our specific and unique designs. Quite a few of the "major" brands being sold are really virtually identical to one another. The engraving and finish are often the only differences. I'd tell you which ones, but then I'd have to kill you....

Reply To Post

5. by KingNecron
                            (76 posts)

17 years ago

Not that I argue with your overall thesis (that is, just because a horn is made in East Asia doesn't mean it isn't good, so long as it follows the production standards of its Western counterparts), but would you mind citing your sources? I'm just curious to know from where much of your information comes, and I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical of this whole "trade secret" mentality that you claim exists among saxophone manufacturers. Therefore, any verification you could offer, such as a reputable trade publication or saxophone journal, would be appreciated.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by llewellyn
                          (4 posts)

17 years ago

In the last year I purchased a Jupiter 989 (the tenor model) and I love it. It is an excellent quality saxophone for a reasonable price.

Reply To Post

3. by Brandon_1023
                          (34 posts)

17 years ago

I was wondering whether amati was a good brand of bari or if em winston was? Or is the jupiter deluxe or artist series bari's were good?

Reply To Post

4. by Brandon_1023
                          (34 posts)

17 years ago

I was wondering whether amati was a good brand of bari or if em winston was? Or is the jupiter deluxe or artist series bari's were good?

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
                            (34 posts)

17 years ago

oh and is Vienna saxes from woodwind Brasswind a good deal?

Reply To Post

2. by Brandon_1023
                            (34 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by Brandon_1023
                            (34 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
                              (964 posts)

17 years ago

I don't know anything about th amati or the Vienna, but my experience with Winston (although I have no experience with the bari) has been very good. My daughter calls her alto "awesome" and our soprano is good, too.

Reply To Post

1. by Red-one
                                (3 posts)

17 years ago

Please help. I really would like to upgrade my sax. I have a Conn (serial # N 183748-it does NOT say Mexico under) in good shape. The music store said they would give me $100 towards an upgrade. Should I do it, or could I get more for my sax selling it on ebay or somewhere?

Reply To Post

2. by joserey1701
                              (1 post)

17 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of a brand called LAVAL. They produce french made saxes. If not a good brand what do you all think about nickel plated saxes? Anyone recommend a good Alto that is pro level but really expensive?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
                                (282 posts)

17 years ago

I have heard that the plating or lacquer on a sax will not make a difference in sound. So if you like the look of nickel plating, that is one way to protect the brass - and from seeing 1920's nickel horns, it may be one of the longer lasting coatings. Have not heard of Laval. Notice it did not make Jim's list. From what Steve Goodson said above, I get the impression that there are many variables not generally considered in shopping just by brand. I guess a consumer has to know what to look for in a sax and try to determine if the one under consideration meets all the proper criteria. They need to have level tone holes. Rods and keys need to be strong enough to resist bending. Keywork needs to be comfortable to the hands, and etc. There are many discussions in here about brand qualities - but the final determination of quality is yours. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Red-one
                                  (3 posts)

17 years ago

Please help. I really would like to upgrade my sax. I have a Conn (serial # N 183748-it does NOT say Mexico under) in good shape. The music store said they would give me $100 towards an upgrade. Should I do it, or could I get more for my sax selling it on ebay or somewhere?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
                                    (964 posts)

17 years ago

You take your chances putting it on ebay. You could get $150, or you could get $35. I'm trying to sell one just like yours. My price is $200. I've had a couple of nibbles, but no bites. Bottom line, it's worth more to me to keep it than to sell it for less than $200. My tech tells me the horn (mine) is worth $350. Maybe that's what the music store could get for it, but they can include a service agreement, which I could not offer. So, I'm trying for $200. I'll try to let you know if it ever sells.

Reply To Post

2. by Red-one
                                    (3 posts)

17 years ago

THANKS MOM!!! I was thinking $200, too. I'm going to try ebay and Craigslist. And thanks again for the advice~

Reply To Post

3. by SAX4ME
                                    (6 posts)

17 years ago

What about PMauriat's?

Reply To Post

4. by Donnie The B
                                    (282 posts)

17 years ago

There is quite a bit of discussion above and elsewhere concerning P. Mauriat horns - and Jim did say in a later post that they should be added to the list. These are well made Asian saxes which many players like. Try before you buy!

Reply To Post

5. by amazingmanderrr
                                    (25 posts)

17 years ago

any one know anything about musica saxophones?

Reply To Post AIM

6. by Sax Mom
                                    (964 posts)

17 years ago

So, no one seems to want to tell you much about the Musica alto saxophone--that's probably because they don't have any real reputation--at least not yet. My instinct is to mistrust it. There are plenty of decent student horns out there for not a huge amount of money, many of which are listed in this thread. I myself have a used student Conn from 1970 available for $200, but it's not so shiney and pretty. However, it still beats the cheap stuff out there, and it's worth more to me to keep it than to sell it for less.

Reply To Post

7. by amazingmanderrr
                                    (25 posts)

17 years ago

my music teacher hasn't had anything to say about it yet. and i really like it. also the best alto in the band doesn't think it's that bad. and my first chair hasn't had anything to say. but i can see myself already getting a hand-me-down sax from one of the seniors -_- which i really don't want. this summer i think my mom and i are going to try and get a new one.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by Sax Mom
                                    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Careful!!! If your mom, as you said (I believe in another thread) really doesn't know anything about saxophones, you may end up with some that doesn't cost much, looks bright and shiney, but isn't worth the metal from which it's made. Make sure you pay attention to the brands Jim lists as good on this thread, or I'm expecting you will be sorry. With saxophones, new isn't always better, even within the good brands. The older Conns are much better than the newer ones. Same with King. The Selmer company bought out a bunch of the old trusted brands, and is more interested in promoting their own name than the famous names they purchased...

Reply To Post

9. by KingNecron
                                    (76 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah, let me second that. Also, check out SaxQuest's free trading section. Last summer I bought a 1970s Buescher Aristocrat alto sax (an older student model, of sorts) from a seller here for $300. It's not my main horn--I play tenor--so I didn't worry too much about playing it in advance or anything, but if you're looking for a solid horn that's going to be cheap, check out what's on SaxQuest. That, too, comes with a disclaimer: it's always better to play a horn first. When I found out about this Buescher on SaxQuest I actually started a thread where I asked about the seller, if he did good work, etc. Basically, I wanted to know if anyone could vouch for him. A few people did, the seller was very helpful, too, and I decided that for $300, and a horn I wouldn't play an awful lot, it was worth the risk. Because your horn will be your primary horn, however, you're going to want to put much more time into the selection of the horn. Print up Jim's list of horns, take them to your music store with your mouthpiece, and just sample all of the delicious flavors of saxophone. Good luck!

Reply To Post AIM

10. by amazingmanderrr
                                    (25 posts)

17 years ago

thanks.=] i'm thinking about switching where i'm renting from right now to a place that rents mostly yamahas because that's the only type of saxophone my teacher wants us to have (yeah, i'm a rebel=D). i really won't be able to have my own though because of the way i switch instruments often. but i'll figure something out.

Reply To Post AIM

11. by GregLauer
                                    (37 posts)

17 years ago

i think you covered every thing there!!! i heard a funny email that read a list of sax brands and then stated "now throw all the other brands a way and just go buy a VI preferably made before 1959 serial number 5xxxx on tuesday at 4 30 pm." great stuff!

Reply To Post

12. by amanda4of6
                                    (1 post)

17 years ago

Hello. I am looking into Soprano Saxophones. I want a blue curved sax. I want to get an intermediate instrument that works well. What brands and places would you suggest I look for a well made saxophone? I have played clarinet for four years but am a beginer in the saxophone world!

Reply To Post

13. by Donnie The B
                                    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Congrats on sticking with learning the clarinet for 4 years -- hope you continue for 40+ more - to equal my musical history. The learning never stops, and the practice should never stop. It just changes. I admire the fact that you want to learn the saxophone, and wish you well with it. I think you should carefully consider the choice of soprano to begin your sax study. For one thing, almost no bands that you will encounter will have the need for - or music for - a soprano sax. When you're a pro, you might find a use for the soprano in jazz combos or in small orchestras used for stage plays. I also remember encountering a college lab band or two that incorporated a soprano in limited ways. Secondly, the soprano is somwhat tougher to play in tune than the alto or tenor sax. This might make for an overly frustrating learning curve. You mention that you want a blue horn. Consider the fact that you might have this same horn 44 years from now, like me. Now - do you think you'll always want a blue horn? Can you see that colored lacquers might be a passing fad? I do not know for sure, but I doubt if you'll find many respected brands coated with unusual colors of lacquer. As always - I tell young players to get a private instructor and have them help with the instrument choice. Barring that - you should definitely stick to something on Jim's list. Lightly used Yamaha or Yanagisawa horns would be a good choice, as would many others. Beware the temptation to choose a really cheap brand. Anything less than $500 new can't be much good. Don't be afraid to get a well cared for, but used, horn. A Yamaha YAS-62 (pro model) from the late 1990's might only cost you $1000 or so. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

14. by cuber
                                    (653 posts)

16 years ago

this is a great resource. almost forgot about it. is there any way we can archive this?

Reply To Post

15. by Daddy
                                    (1 post)

13 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with tenor Saxophones made ( under various names) by the New Great Century Enterprises Co. in Taivwan? I am told they make a lot of instruments for some well known brands. First post, go easy on me.

Reply To Post

16. by bradg
                                    (2 posts)

11 years ago

This original post, although a wonderful resource, is now 7 years old. 
                                    Jim- do you still include Bundy on the list, now they are made by WWBW under the Bundy name?
                                    Has anyone got any experience with these?
                                    Thanks! 

Reply To Post

17. by dilandilan
                                    (7 posts)

10 years ago

that is right.... i support the above comments

Graduated from [url=http://www.soran.edu.iq/] Soran [/url] University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Reply To Post

18. by pedrobrazfilho
                                    (1 post)

9 years ago

saxophone weril ??

Reply To Post