Saxophone Forum

by jessica
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Naked Lady adjustable neck question

Hello Can anyone give me more info on how to deal with the adjustable neck on my naked lady alto?? Is that collet supposed to be able to come all the way off for repair/cleaning purposes or not? How far shoudl it be able to move. This one is only turning maybe an inch...so, not even a full revolution. Is there a site on the internet that goes more in depth into how to deal with this??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Naked Lady adjustable neck question

mine (on my alto) comes all the way off, and is pretty smooth. if they don't post ask connsaxjim or sac manaiac (spelling? too lazy to look) they should be able to help you.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

That tuner should be able to go plus or minus 5 or so full revolutions. And turn it enough, and it should be able to come off. Mine turns with a fairly high level of resistance (good thing as you wouldn't want your tuning to fluctuate) so I would describe it's operation as resistant but smooth. It is curious that yours turns some but not all the way around. Being careful not to grip the neck in the wrong way as to damage the octave mechanism, have you tried "muscling it" a bit to get it to turn? Not that I recommend getting out channel locks or anything, but it might just be gummed up in there and it needs to be broken through. Some penetrating oil added from the back side (+ a day or two of wait time) might help free it up.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Some penetrating oil" mind you, I would personally want to wash it MANY times before playing if that was used! =) but it should do the trick! (that or carb cleaner)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jessica
        (13 posts)

19 years ago

I have added penetrating oil to it and applied a little heat to get it to "flow". I agree it is probably just gummy in there. This is a sax that I just got today, so it hasnt been flushed yet. I may stick it in the ultrasonic and see if some of it shakes loose. Thanks!

Reply To Post