Saxophone Forum

by jennybenny
(1 post)
19 years ago

Selmer vs Yamaha and Serial #s

Trying to get info on buying alto sax for 5th grade son. For student sax, is Selmer Bundy II & Yamaha YAS23 comparable or is one superior? How 'bout Selmer Mark VII, AS300, 500, 600, 700 or YAS 52? Why ask for serial # of used sax - can I check it somewhere before buying? Is "Brassnwoodwind" reputable internet store to buy sax? Tks for help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer vs Yamaha and Serial #s

hi jennybenny. It sounds like you have been doing some research here. I would say that the YAS23 is a step above a Bundy II, but I suppose that's really more a matter of preference. They're both good starter horns. I think the Yamaha has better sound and intonation though. The YAS 52 is a step above the YAS23 and is considered an intermediate model horn. The Selmer Mark VII, I would be leary of. I do not care for the Mark VII's at all. They have rather poor intonation, and while their sound is better suited to classical music, I really find them to be rather stuffy sounding. The AS 300,s and 500's are pretty good, although I have heard that the 500 along with the 700 are no longer made in the United States, but are now made in Taiwan. They're still a decent horn. The best value right now in a new horn is probably the Yamaha YAS 62 Series II. It's an intermediate-pro level horn for a near student model price. I have delt with WWBW before a few times, and I have always had very good luck with them. I have also ordered from Giardinelli, which is part of Musician's Friend/Guitar Center, and I have also had very good luck with them. I really can't speak for Music123, but I have never really heard anything bad about them. Kessler Music also has a very good reputation. I'd be careful of Sam Ash, and I most definately would not trust Dominic's Music.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

As an owner of a YAS-23 and longtime player of a Bundy, I'd give my personal preference for the Yamaha. The keywork noticibly better and the sound more brilliant and resonant. Either is a good horn for starters. The YAS-52 is an intermediate and a competent instrument and the Mark VII a professional instrument. Personally, I like the Mark VII I once tried. With used horns, it all comes down to condition and price. If I, for instance, were faced with the possibility of purchasing any of those horns in playable condition for $500, I'd certainly choose the Mark VII first, but if you are looking for a good instrument on the cheap, you'd probably be best served by a used bundy. In my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by saxologist
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Bought a YAS (Yamaha 52) for my son. Very fine horn. I own Selmer Mark VI as well. Very nice player

Reply To Post AIM

3. by joe sax
    (1 post)

13 years ago

Yamaha yas-52 Serial #s

what year was yas-52 with serial # 024940a made?

Reply To Post