Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

Embouchure control and relaxing exercises

Hey again sax lovers everywhere. I've been noticing that my mouth is tightening up while Im not playing, having an awkward feeling I don't know how to describe it but it's like when I open my mouth it's tighter than usual. Hmmn, normal or abnormal? I've been working on my embouchure alot, long tones and etc. Anything that can help it relax it down, I mean I have been about 3 days without playing to see if it fixes it and nothing, opinions questions? Help!! THanks guys!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Embouchure control and relaxing exercises

its just like any other muscle group in your body...u've tried some new things lately, working new muscle groups...therefore they are sore now. Like an athlete, you have a choice, you can wait it out and not play for like a week just so your pie hole doesnt hurt. Or you can do what I suggest, get right back in there...practice is always a plus...you've slacked off for 3 days already and you're still cryin? ANy coach would have u runnin laps or doin suicides in the gym til u passed out. Just kiddin around with ya...main thing is that your embouchure is developing and this is natural...before u know it, you'll be able to work your way up to hours & hous of playing without any soreness...kinda like building up your drinking tolerance... :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxomat
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, RoYrOy, I would recommend a warm up for the lips before practicing: Change your lip position from "whistle" to "grin" , very very slow. Then pretend yawning, but keep lips close. Then move your upper lip over the lower lip and vice versa. Do these 3 stretching exercises in intervals of 2 minutes, very slowly. It realy helps! Good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by wondersax
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

I think that your should relax your embouchere by sealing around the mouthpiece with less pressure: remember the reed needs to vibrate in your oral cavity(mouth). Also the reed needs to rests on the inner tissue of your lower lip, you need to still feel the reed vibrating on your lower lip after you seal your embouchere around the mouthpiece. I hope this technicque make your embouchere not tire out as fast

Reply To Post