Anyone around my age (14) wanna talk? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Any 14 yr olds wanna talk?

why 14 yr olds? 16 yr olds are cool too.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Damn I feel old! I'm 32, but I jump in here every once in a while just to see what you kids are talking about and maybe offer some advice or words of wisdom. So, drop me an email if you need me.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GzsKerqt
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

Is 14 and 8 months counted?=p haha! i like my sax! my senior calls it his wife, so i'll call mine my husband... i'm talking so much nonsense....opz

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

i'm 15, if that counts for anything

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey i'm Kara - 14 yrs old. big band geek ! lol w00t w00t my email is [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Let's start talking abt something... er.... do u guys ever struggle between music and studies? eg for me i wanted to borrow my sax home from sch, but every afternoon i have something on in sch and have to stay back. Either that or u juz have so much hw that u can't play and the same thing happens for weeks... maybe it's juz me or the fact that we live in diff places with diff hw loads.=)

Reply To Post

4. by RoobeDoo
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

I never struggle between music and studies - I'm lazy all round lol... I'm reasonably smart, so I spent the last ten years fluking everything... might all backfire when i get my GCSE results next week though! music comes first though, when i have the choice - I'm a pianist, looking to start playing the sax in september, and I love hammering the hell out of my piano at all hours of the day and night... my neighbours dont like me too much, but wait until i get my sax >:) i might be banished to the shed until it stops sounding like a dying cat, i guess...

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

that's how it'll sound for the first couple days

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

oh, and if you don't practice, too

Reply To Post

7. by RoobeDoo
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

lol, I know - i discovered wind instruments are far harder than they look when i pilfered a friends bassoon... it only took me fifteen minutes to get the hang of a g maj scale but my god it sounded awful... and i had to breathe between each note lol

Reply To Post

8. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

Well... I actually would play the sax instead of studying for a test sometimes

Reply To Post

9. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

haha.. cool... i've never tried that before..

Reply To Post

10. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

well I practise instead of going to class. High School Sucks, but I'm doing a Certificate IV course in Jazz, which is pretty much an automatic ticket to the Bachelor of Music course at my uni.

Reply To Post

11. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

no... High Sch Rockz... JC sux...

Reply To Post

12. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

18 years ago

JC?...please say that your not impleying Jeasus Christ Superstar...the evil demonic play that its is for any stage crew member

Reply To Post AIM

13. by RoobeDoo
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

I may well end up doing music in Uni, even though i'm not studying it for the next two years (too much theory nonesense not enough playing!) because somehow i managed to fluke my way through my top piano exam... and evidently thats a fast track into music college, so alls well and good providing i keep playing :D

Reply To Post

14. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

i onced aced a test that way SOMEHOW!!!

Reply To Post

15. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, same. sometimes i miss out on so many classes just so i can go 2 the music area and practice, but i still seem to do well anyway!! Scary!!! i know what u mean tho, sometimes i find i have to choose between practice or homework, i usually pick the practice. it makes me so slack tho! but anyway!!

Reply To Post

16. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha man i feel old im 17

Reply To Post

17. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

im 14 so im definitly in!

Reply To Post

18. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

I think the only classes that matter to life are: gym, lunch (not really a subject), and band and/or musically oriented classes. Who agrees?

Reply To Post

19. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

well personally, I cant stand gym, im the most non-athletic person i know!! and im proud of it :D but apart from that, I absoloutly agree! But english can be fun too.

Reply To Post

20. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

well, i guess with my english teacher, we used to go from talking about julius caesar to the invention of the television and the effects of. still BAND OWNS!

Reply To Post

21. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

yupp... I soooo agree... Wish i could go to a sch like yours. Wat's gym like? Do u have ropes like those on tv? haha... i sound so.. naive? Ours is called P.E where they either make u play soccer, rugby, basketball, floorball or run 2.4km(and we r not allowed to choose). still Band ROX

Reply To Post

22. by Junior High Blues King
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

yeah I totally agree but I like Math class too because our teacher almost never assigns homework and when we aren't working we get to talk!!!!

Reply To Post

23. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

about the gym thing we have ropes, our gym teacher said over and over that we were going to try to climb them. We never did, he was to occupied with his baseball team. And with math, while my teacher taught, we talked, when she assigned homework at let us do it in class, we talked. SO. What do you think I got in, well, Geometry, for the year?

Reply To Post

24. by yas23saxplayer
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

No

Reply To Post

25. by yas23saxplayer
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

I don't want to go back to school, but I want to go back to BAND! Because I am eager to play my new saxophone. It is Yamaha YAS23 and it is awesome. I can't wait to try to get 1st Chair in band this year with my new sax.

Reply To Post

26. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

a B

Reply To Post

27. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

Most likely i will be playing bari for concert and jazz band, a very beat-up Yamaha YBS-61, but great sound, alto for marching, and my soprano anywhere i can find a place for it to be played. Any recommendations?

Reply To Post

28. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

yas23player - Practice, practice, practice. If the rest of your sax section comes back to school sounding like they took the summer off, you've got it made. And by the way, I think the YAS23's are absolutely fantastic horns for the money. Make sure it is set up well and practice, practice, practice.....

Reply To Post

29. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

so.... what did u get for Geometry?

Reply To Post

30. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

i said, a "B"

Reply To Post

31. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

hey wait, u are 15 and u r only doing Geometry this yr? anyway.. band still rox

Reply To Post

32. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

my school is crazy, we have an accelerated program I took ninth grade courses in eighth, tenth grade courses in ninth, and i will be taking eleventh grade courses in tenth. Well the only immediate problem about band this year is that we have a lot of freshman, around thirty. Most of them can't handle even the marching band music, I was thinking, "Wait til they get to concert or jazz bands". We also have around only 15 seniors, who are very good individually. Juniors, around 25 of them, well, most of them need work, but the tenor sax player plays well. As for us sophomores, most of us haven't changed much since freshman year. Although, I did because of my relatively higher knowledge of music to them (I know how to transpose). SO my high school band is going to be fair this year, but last year was best.

Reply To Post

33. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

wow your new sax is a YAS23... They are really good for how cheap you can get one and they play pretty well but once you get on a good pro model horn you'll hate the YAS23.

Reply To Post

34. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

wow, 30 freshman! thats heaps!! our high school bands are tiny! we have a senior one for the grade 9s and 10s and a juniour one for 7s and 8s, there are about 40 members all up in each one! yeah, its so strange, each year the bands keep getting worse and worse. i recon our school only has around 5 years to go before we dont even have a music or a band program at all!

Reply To Post

35. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Haha.. Make sure ur band Instructor doesn't hear u say that. My high sch band is pretty small too. We have 43 members and abt 19 are secondary one (er... 13 yrs old) I think my band died once but now we're slowly learning to breathe again. We, seniors are complaining because we don't have the full support from the principal. Our P is super biased. erm... abt geometry.... it was in our syllabus last yr.. i hated that part when we have to find the number of sides of the polygon when only the exterior angle of one side is given. How many saxophone members do each of u all have? Mine has 6. 4 altos, 1 tenor, 1 bari

Reply To Post

36. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

My middle school band has more!

Reply To Post

37. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

First of all, middle school bands may typically have more. Why's that? The members aren't riddled down with alot of other crap that high school band geeks, of which I am proud to be, have. Our school will have 8 alto's (from 11), 2 tenors (from 2), and me, 1 bari.

Reply To Post

38. by saxophones_rock
          (13 posts)

19 years ago

Whoa, and I thought my school was small!! We have approx. 50 for eighth, 40 for ninth, 35 for tenth, and 30 for eleventh and twelfth.

Reply To Post

39. by jenntheflutist
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Last year we had four seniors. I think we have, um, two this year. A percussionist and a horn player... Our band is the same way, shrinking and getting worse, and our band teacher told us all he's leaving as soon as he gets into grad school... Great morale, huh? Oh yeah, I'm 15, but oh well.

Reply To Post

2. by pyro883
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

Has anyone named their sax.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about your band dying! Last year my high school stage band had approx 30 members, who were all fairly ordinary with a couple good guys here and there. Last year half of them left and we brought in some grade 8's that were really bad. at the end of this year another flow of grade 10's are going to leave and then the band will get worse and worse untill I leave, and then... It Will Die.

Reply To Post

1. by brace_face
            (43 posts)

19 years ago

Hehehe. i kinda feel the same way though, like, there are only about 3 saxophonists in the whole school and they really arent too good....like, after I leave there isnt realyl gonna be anyone there to play sax! i can officially say that at least that section is gonna die!

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

U can't let it die!! Our section almost died at least two years back. I was the only 'descendant' and my seniors were going to graduate after my first yr. But they made sure they passed down everything they could teach me. Now our section is full and we actually turned down quite a few request. Now, i'm making sure my juniors knows everything i know before i grad nx yr. Yupp, urs can survive. Don't fight a losing battle.

Reply To Post

2. by barisaxguy14
              (14 posts)

19 years ago

Hi everyone im 14 and i play bari and love it and i hate math and english.

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

19 years ago

we're like twins, only I'm fifteen

Reply To Post

4. by sax kid
              (19 posts)

19 years ago

hello im 13 and i play the alto and bari. i can play altissimo in tune and i play on a selmer superaction 80 series II alto , and mark 7 bari.

Reply To Post

5. by sax kid
              (19 posts)

19 years ago

does any one have any good chalenging music because im geting bored with this midle school music!!! it is to easy!

Reply To Post

6. by SaxAppeal
              (67 posts)

19 years ago

lol yah, Are region band music is alot tougher than the stuff we play :P

Reply To Post

7. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

19 years ago

well, sax kid, if you want a really difficult piece of music to play, try Contrasts by Jimmy Dorsey (its insane). Oh, and Jimmy, and Tommy Dorsey came from the area around where I live...oh, and my sax-playing friend says "KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (entered by him)

Reply To Post

8. by bubbamets5505
              (19 posts)

19 years ago

All you guys who play in band are so lucky I'm home schooled so I can't play in band. All I can do is play music books I get from the store.

Reply To Post

9. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

y don't u ask ur parents to let u go public school? (that is if u want to) There's the adjusting in that will be hard.. but u can't possibly be home schooled forever! But u may have ur own opinions..

Reply To Post

10. by jazzyjoe81
              (6 posts)

19 years ago

i'm old.

Reply To Post

11. by Gooshbanshee
              (24 posts)

19 years ago

hahaha your not alone

Reply To Post

12. by Tsaxybabe
              (2 posts)

19 years ago

You guys that go to big schools are so lucky. You must have some really good players. In my school, we only have about 300 kids total. So that makes our high school band size about 30 people. Yeah. Not large. We don't even have any french horns or bassoon or anything like that. We just have the basics and we get by. Our jazz band is tiny, but we do pretty well. We've got 4 trumpets, 5 saxes, 4 bones, 1 bass, 2 percussionists, 1 pianist. That's it. But we get to State every year, so it's ok. It's nice because you know everyone, but sucks because it really limits your abilities!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by gemster
            (51 posts)

18 years ago

Ok so this is an old post, but I am not that bothered (and btw im not 14, im nearly 16, but the 16yr old's forum is booooring) I have named my sax Sam after my good friend. I have done so because it has several of his characteristics, i.e. It annoys me sometimes but is incredibly sexy. (am I allowed to say that on a forum for 14 yr olds?). It is true anyway. If I hadn't thought of Sam it probably would have been Sandra, because I think that is a totally unsuitable name for a sax....but if u've called your sax sandra that's fine by me... Have you named your sax?

Reply To Post

2. by sofian444
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

yah that sucks to go to a small school in terms of band size. we had to cut 30 kids from our marching band becuase we only had 180 uniforms and too many people wanted to be in it. thats a great problem to have. i always have problems with balancing music and school. my parents think i should maximize my grade potential and get like a 4.0 so i dont get to practice as much as i want to. i think about sax and music and piano day and night. it never leaves my mind.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

currently we have 105 instrumentalists in our high school band, and 107 in our middle school band. The 105 includes most from our district, and some from another, because they have no high school. The middle-schoolers, however are just our district, so if all of them come up and keep playing, plus kids from the other district, minus graduations of our current 15 seniors, we'll have a monstrous band!

Reply To Post

1. by mrsaxguy
              (4 posts)

18 years ago

Our high school band has only 15 people, so we are basically a jazz ensemble. It's great, cause we dont have the kidna kids that never practice...just the ######## players

Reply To Post

1. by brace_face
                (43 posts)

18 years ago

oh god, ANYTHING but the kids that never practice. that really reeeeally irritates me. everyone else can play and they can't, and they sit there and mope but they don't do anything about it!! and they bring the whole band down!! argh!!!

Reply To Post

2. by mrsaxguy
                (4 posts)

18 years ago

yeah sometimes i just wanna wack them over the head with my sax

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
                (964 posts)

18 years ago

Not worth wrecking your sax!!! :-)

Reply To Post

4. by mattMrozinski
                (35 posts)

18 years ago

my jazz ensemble (only band at my school) has about 20 folks 4 saxes (2 alto, bari, tenor) 3 bones, 3 drummers, 3 pianists, 2 guitars, 2 bass, and 4 or 5 trumpets (a lil more than 20 but w/e) ehh i practice but i still occasionally make the screwup note and the tenor (seinor) gets frustrated but most of the time my band directors yelling at the pianist or trumpetist.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman0317
              (53 posts)

18 years ago

lucky...our school and band is tiny...and we cant march anymore because our whole marching drum section got burned in the fire we had the other year and we dont have the money to buy new stuff. Go figure...the smallest school in the area, biggest budget, and yet we have sever lack of programs...does that sound fishey to anyone else?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxman0317
            (53 posts)

18 years ago

well, i happen to be 16, but if theres anyone out there that would like to find me, my aim and email is in that profile thingy on here

Reply To Post AIM

1. by checkster12
              (2 posts)

18 years ago

Hey. Im 16 and a bari / alto player. Yahoo is checkster12, add me.

Reply To Post

3. by sexysaxophone
            (2 posts)

18 years ago

hey all u guys.. im 14 nd really want to start the tenor sax - i already play oboe (nd other stuff) so ill have no problem with the blowin or wateva but do you have any advice on wat type of sax to get? I don't want to get a rubbishy one but on the other hand not too expensive either! thanx....

Reply To Post

1. by gemster
              (51 posts)

18 years ago

firstly, this sound weird but where do you live - I mean the country btw, not where your house is! Fill out your community profile... Coz if you're english i can recommend an AWESOME tenor sax for you to learn on, It's the one I learn on and I still have it now, it plays so beautiful *gets all misty eyed* But if you live in america I cant really help as it's a british make and i dont really know much about the good american student makes... sorry.

Reply To Post

4. by sexysaxophone
            (2 posts)

18 years ago

hey all u guys.. im 14 nd really want to start the tenor sax - i already play oboe (nd other stuff) so ill have no problem with the blowin or wateva but do you have any advice on wat type of sax to get? I don't want to get a rubbishy one but on the other hand not too expensive either! thanx....

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

Well first of all, where do you live? By the looks of it, the time you wrote this, and your vernacular (rubbishy instead of trashy), tell where you are from, the Great Britain. The only reason I would ask you that is because of shipping from overseas or stuff like that, depending on how fast you want to get it. If you ARE from the UK, the best place to look on the internet would be www.saxophones.co.uk. From there, enter the main site. When you're there click the thing on the top that takes you to their catalog. Click "Saxes for Sale", then find "Your first tenor sax." If I were you, I would pick the second one on there, it's a Selmer (arguably the best sax manufacturer) student model with lots of other stuff (read their details there). If you're in the US go to www.wwbw.com or www.music123.com, they're pretty much the exact same site, just wwbw is more wind instruments, and music123 is rock instruments and the like. Hope this blathering helps! saxjunkie89

Reply To Post

5. by sebastian sax
            (8 posts)

18 years ago

hey whats up??? im 16!! lets chat man..

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

OK... About what? What sax(es) do you play?

Reply To Post

1. by sebastian sax
                (8 posts)

18 years ago

i play all of them....as well as flute and clarinet.....email me if you wanna [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
                  (77 posts)

18 years ago

I'm now 16 too! this forum has been here for ages... we shld start a new one for 16s-

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

i'll do it

Reply To Post

2. by jadeybabey2006
                (1 post)

18 years ago

hi i am 14 (well almost) i am 14 in October, drop me a line at [email protected] xx

Reply To Post

1. by djazzy
                  (65 posts)

18 years ago

Hey I'm 14. I play tenor sax I hoping to learn alto next year. My mom and siblings hate when I practice and they say I play to loud. Well when you get into what your playing noise isn't an issue until your grounded... my 2 cents

Reply To Post

1. by gemster
                    (51 posts)

18 years ago

bad luck on gettong grouned... I play tenor and for a while my mum was working night shifts, so i had to be real quiet when i was practising. When the weather was nice i went out on the back porch, and when it rained, i put an old t-shirt down the bell to try make it quieter. U could try that... :s It kinda worked..

Reply To Post

1. by alto-man
                      (3 posts)

18 years ago

my band teacher makes us sing and finger the notes. he saw it on some tv program and it helps you hear and better make the notes. its not exactly practicing but its almost as good and is alot quieter.

Reply To Post