Saxophone Forum

by uncrazy99
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Embouchure

I have embouchure. I had a less than substantial teacher teach me how to play sax. I know in the embouchure that you are supposed to have your teeth on the top of the mouthpiece, but I have my lip under them. So I'm kinda biting down on my lip all the time while I play. It HURTS like hell after I play for an hour or more, and I think that may be affecting my sound. A year ago my current band director noticed this and told me that, but I can't change it...it's just a habit. I suppose I should just change it while I still can. Is that the only way to improve my sound, or may my alternate embouchure work?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by afterglows_fanson
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Embouchure

Your top teethe should be further out then your bottom teeth... and ure lip should be curled over your bottom teeth quite a bit. My teacher this year spent some time correcting my embouchure and trust me, it will hurt like heck.... but if ure top teeth are ahead of your bottom teeth, it will be far less pressure and biting... just remember to keep the corners of your mouth tight! and your sound should improve... I use those mouthpiece savers and a good gage for whether your top teeth are out to far is if A) theyre no longer on the rubber saver or B) your top lip is all the way past the saver. Good embouchure is painfull at first. :-P

Reply To Post

1. by brace_face
      (43 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, apparently im putting the mouthpiece too far into my mouth, and I have so much trouble slap-tounging because my tongue sticks out too far, if that makes sense!! I also find that sometimes when i play for a really long time, my mouth gets so tense I end up cramping it up and everything goes so sharp or i choke the reed! its horribly painful, but I am getting better with relaxing my mouth more. i hope good embouchure isnt as painful as bad embouchure!

Reply To Post

1. by uncrazy99
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah I played in a contest once and I was so nervous and my embouchure kept getting tighter and more sharp, and I squeaked through half of it...real embarassing. I had to play in a duet and a trio also that day which was pretty intimidating because this guy at my school just started saxophone a year ago and he's already better than me. He just annoys me, it's like everything has to be a competition. But he's going to be playing saxophone his whole life, I'll probably drop it after high school. There's the difference. I beat him in chair auditions last year, but he's gotten a lot better. I hope I can beat him again this year...I usually do pretty awesome at auditions.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

My advice to improving your embouchure is actually getting a good teacher, if that is possible. All of last year I was constantly worked on tone, overtones and embouchure. Then that teacher left and I got another one, who does not teach me about one or emouchure at all. Even after that teacher left I continue to teach myself tone, overtones and embouchure work and over the last 2 years a have improved dramatically

Reply To Post