Saxophone Forum

by Yonatan
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Sirus II

Does anyone have any experience with any of these (soprano, alto, or tenor)? www.joesax.com/sirus.htm

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ksc
    (3 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Sirus II

There are two horns marauding as Selmer Mark VI clones right now. The Viking M58 and the Sirus II. Both distributors seem to have the exclusive on them so there is no where else to contact or to look for info. I do know that you will only get limited info from either vendor and I believe Joe Sax to be much more straight-forward than Rich Maraday. I couldn't get Maraday to give me the time of day. I listened several times, critically, to a sound clip of the Viking M58 and M60 on a review site and I don't think the M60 Selmer Balanced Action(1939) clone sounds anything like a real one. I had one before. The Viking V58 Mark VI clone sounds only vaguely like a real one. I have not heard the Sirus II. But I can say that the Vikings are made in Taiwan and the Sirus is made in China. There is no comparison there. What's made in China should stay in China. Taiwan has far better construction in their music instruments. The only way I have found to get the Selmer sound is to buy one. Admittedly, the M58 sounds "similar" to a real Mark VI but that is where it ends. Mark VI tenors were stuffy and they were sharp down low ahd flat up high. With the right mouthpiece, and if your name is Michael Brecker, you have a great sound. I always could tell a section that had Mark VI tenors because they create a dull, empty spot in the section sound. If you played right into a mic like taking a solo or recording, you then could hear the full range of sound they created which sounded great. Also, standing behind a Mark VI you could never hear yourself at all. They had poor intonation and were so dull that they could take a Berg Larsen, Bobby Dukoff, or any of the many very bright mouthpieces and still have a full sound. But that is not the case with the Viking. They are noticiably brighter and even-toned from low to high with modern-day perfect intonation. Those qualities are not consitant with a real Mark VI. To put it more succinctly, all you need to ask yourself is if it is a Selmer or not. End of conversation. Close, but not close enough to be real. Cheap. 

Reply To Post

1. by Yonatan
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Sirus II

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Reply To Post