Saxophone Forum

by joeman08
(1 post)
19 years ago

Help With Buying a Sax...

I just got rid of the alto sax that i've been renting so that i could buy a newer one. I've been doing lot's of searching on ebay, because brand new saxes are a little too pricey, and found myself looking at a few different ones that look pretty good. One is a Barrington J-Series for around $100 and the other a Gary Sugal Copper Sax for about $500. I've also found one brand called Cecilio for $300. I was just curious to know what brands are better for high school level players. If any of those are something, or if you have any suggestions please let me know. I would appreciate the help. Also is there a such brand as Selman?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help With Buying a Sax...

no offense, but those are crap across the board. out of those the sugals are probably the best and they are still junk. i know a guy who bought a brand new one a year ago. it looked nice and shiny with a black laquer. it sounds bad and is already in need of repairs. dont get eny of those. spend a little more money and buy a horn thatll last.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

19 years ago

Look into a Yamaha 52 or a Jupiter Artist. These are really good step-up horns. Though you may have to pay more than $300, it would definitally be worth it. These would be my first choices. They play really nice, have a pretty good sound, and they'll last MUCH longer than what you've been already considering.

Reply To Post

1. by sax kid
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

yea a good horn i think to get is a yas-62 it is a nice horn if u are going to go into colege with it. if not i would sugest geting a 52.

Reply To Post