Saxophone Forum

by realbuechsbabe
(1 post)
19 years ago

Buescher True Tone Sax

I am interested in buying one of the above and have read the invaluable advice in other posts, which has helped alot. My own query concerns a silver plated horn: Buescher True Tone (Low Pitch) . Its serial number is 178680, below which is inscribed 'Low Pitch'. Any advice/opinion you could provide would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by 10rsax
    (19 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone Sax

I have several Bueschers, one a C mel. On the back it does have a "C" above the ser no. My 1925 TT is a Selmer NEW YORK alto stencil, which I love to play. Intonation is near perfect and great sound! Definitely a keeper.

Reply To Post

1. by ridoom
      (1 post)

16 years ago

Can you please relate to me the features of your alto that make you believe it is of Buescher manufacture? The SAXPICS website claims these Selmer New York models were made by Conn. About thirty years ago I had a Selmer New York Tenor; it had the split bell like the Conn New Wonder, as well as other general feeatures, but sounded much different from the Conn New Wonder that I currently own.; closer in my opinion to my Buescher Aristocrat, but with a bit more rasp and character. I was in my twenties at the time and only wish I had paid more attention to the horn's design features; also wish I had kept it, as it was a great-sounding and great-playing horn and I am still trying to find one again. I have since seen a picture of a Selmer New York tenor on the internet and the octave and g# cluster key mechanisms are obviously of Buescher design. The neck definitely did not have the standard Conn lower "bar brace" and appeared to be borrowed from either Buescher True Tone or early Aristocrat design. I'm still trying to understand this design. Thanks, Robert

Reply To Post

2. by AdmiralNelson
    (7 posts)

16 years ago

I bought a Buescher True Tone Tenor a couple of months ago on eBay. I must say I am thrilled! It did take a visit to an expert repairman, and $700 of work, but it was worth it. The tone holes were leveled, the pads replaced, the dents ironed out and the neck (the most important part of the sax) trued and lapped for a tight fit. No leaks, and it plays like a dream. The mpc is an Otto Link #7 with Rico 2-1/2 reed, for my taste. But I have played it with the original mpc, which was quite stuffy. They liked it that way I guess. It takes a lot of practice with the original mpc, which was meant more for classical than jazz playing. I play an Antigua curved soprano and a Luis Robert Deluxe alto, and the tenor just blows me away. One interesting thing I learned in my studies is that the "intonation" issue is grossly misunderstood by many musicians. I have heard complaints from many that the sax (no matter which brand) plays sharp at the top, about 30 cents, and flat at the bottom, about the same. This is NOT an indication of a poorly intonated instrument! The tuning is not set up for dead on pitch as with a tuning meter. You could go nuts trying to change the intonation to match perfect pitch and lose the subtle intonation design of a saxophone. If you have heard of Bach's "well tempered clavier" you will know what I mean. The "well tempered" part of it means that the instrument is DELIBERATELY detuned gradually from bottom flat to top sharp! This creates a tuning the SOUNDS GOOD, and is not meant to have perfect intervals. You, the performer, must use embouchure to match the pitch of other instruments when you play in harmony, but when you solo you can let it rip. You will sound better when it is technically "out of tune!" So, don't freak when you use the tuning meter, just tune A to G (or C to B-flat) and practice your embouchure to play in harmony. In an orchestra you will be in harmony because the piano as well as other instruments are intonated in very sophisticated ways that have evolved over centuries. The only problem you will have will be in "modern" bands where the subtleties of intonation take a back seat to the tuning meter. You are going to have a great time with that Buescher. He's a fine old gentleman who can be taught to howl!

Reply To Post

3. by joeConnMan
    (8 posts)

16 years ago

I played a 1927 True Tone "The Buescher" in Detroit bar bands for 25years with a Vandoren red 77 mouthpiece. It still rocks although now it is now back up horn. DON"T LET A REPAIRMEN WHEN THE EFLAT TRILL. If he/she suggest's it,take it to someone else that can properly set up a vintage horn.

Reply To Post

4. by dispatch35
    (1 post)

16 years ago

I have a Buescher True Tone Low Pitch Serial # 75329, that I received from my Great Uncle. The instrument was checked 5 years ago and played very well. We are now looking to sell it to someone who would enjoy this great instrument.

Reply To Post

5. by billvr
    (1 post)

16 years ago

I was just given a True Tone Sax with the serial # 222302 it has pearl keys and It is gold. Can any one tell me what I have. thanks

Reply To Post

1. by AdmiralNelson
      (7 posts)

16 years ago

If the instrument is in good shape it is worth around $1200 for a tenor. I got mine for $900 and added another $700 to have a complete workover. The serial number indicates the horn is most likely an early Series IV, manufactured early 1927.

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That would be a 1925 model Buescher True Tone. The Low Pitch means that it is compatable with today's instruments which is good. As long as the action is free and complete (no missing or broken keys), and there are no major dings or dents, it's worth the cost of an overhaul. They have very good intonation and play very well for an older horn. Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by Aeckert
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Im looking at a Buescher true tone (low pitch) sax on the web. Id like to know what one is roughly worth in good condition. Its serial number is 170964. Its is an original 1925 sax with original laquer. Please help.

Reply To Post

8. by saxologist
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

I have a TT Soprano Curved, it is very well built and sounds great. Even better found it for 350.00. Mine is lacquer or bare brass.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim, I have a buescher True tone, looks like a tenor but it doesnt tune! The intonation cant get any worst, really, I have tried using round chamber mouthpieces and its still the same thing. The only whay it can be tuned is by playing it with my LA Sax neck. My bueschers neck is kind of shorter than the LA Sax neck and it looks to be original. I was just wondering, is this a tenor, if not please tell what the hell is it? The hourn sounds pretty good though. Thanks -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

1. by corvair60
        (1 post)

16 years ago

I know it's an old thread, but folks like me still read these! What about this, as far as the tuning problem... As far as I know, the "Low Pitch" stamp on a TT indicates it's made for the North American market, where A=440. If it's doesn't have the "Low Pitch" indicator, or if it shows "High Pitch", maybe it's tuned to A=445.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

It might be a C melody tenor. they look similar, but the c melody is gonna be a little smaller, and wont tune in the key of Bb like a tenor, its in the key of C instead(hence "c mewlody")

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Just look at the low B key, if the bottom of the tone hole is about 1 inch from the bell seam its a Bb tenor, if its 2-3 inches higher its a C melody Dave

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If it is a C Melody, it should be stamped C on the back. C Melodies are a little smaller than a tenor. Most of them measure about 24 inches from the bow (curve at the bottom) to the tenon (where the neck attaches). They also have a smaller bore. A Buescher True Tone C Melody would have a curved neck similar to a tenor sax. Check the back of your horn for a letter "C" to indicate that it is a C Melody, and to make sure that it is Low Pitch, or "LP". If it is high pitch, it will not play in tune. It's possible that the octave tube in the neck could be damaged and effecting the pitch also. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, i didn't think buescher put the C on their C melodies and only conn did this but i may be wrong. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It seems like they did just above the thumbrest, Dave. I could be wrong, and I don't have a Buescher C Melody here to look at. I remember the True Tone logo, and above the logo is the serial number stamped in an arc. Below the logo is "Low Pitch" and it seems like there is a "C" below the "Low Pitch". I did find some pictures at saxpics that might be helpful. www.saxpics.com

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, I checked the horn out and it doesn’t have a C on its back. I measured the B key from the beal seam and it measures 1. 5 inch and It is the same height as my other tenor. I"m assuming it is a tenor. Here is the serial num. 138105. I thank you guys for helping me out -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxHog
          (28 posts)

19 years ago

Guys, forget looking for a "C" on the back of a TT. Conn is the only one I know that used that. Just measure the length of the horn without the neck. If it is close to 25 inches it's a C-mel, if it's close to 30 inches it's a tenor. Really can't screw up with 3-4 inches difference to ascertain. I own both makes, and a couple of Martin C-mels.

Reply To Post

5. by ginbets
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

I was just given a Buescher True Tone Low Pitch Alto Sax today (it was donated to my school - I'm a middle school band director) and the serial number is #183927. Does anyone know what year it was made? Any idea of what it's worth? I played it, and it played like a dream!

Reply To Post

6. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

look at my "second cool link" on my profile and it should be a serial number list. I would do it, but im kinda lazy... Someone DONATED a true tone? wish i had that kind of luck

Reply To Post

7. by ginbets
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the link! So it dates to after 1925. I can't believe someone donated it either! It seems to be in great shape and it's in the original case. Thanks again for the help.

Reply To Post

8. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

frankly if i were you id by a Yamaha 23 cheap and switch it with the True Tone. of course, with my luck, thats probably illegal and id be in federal prison for embezelment or some other unspelleble charge like that

Reply To Post

9. by ginbets
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

You think I haven't already thought of that? Ha ha!! So, since you suggested it, would that make you my accomplice? Or I could just borrow it from the school when necessary....

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

sure, ill be your accomplice. whats the worst they could do? throw me in jail? borrowing seems like an ok solution

Reply To Post

11. by foxplayer
          (7 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

12. by foxplayer
          (7 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post