Saxophone Forum

by Barisaxy
(2 posts)
19 years ago

1 Barisaxy Lady

Hello. My name is Nancy J and have been a barisax player since 6th grade which is about 20 years. Wow, I didn't realize it was so long! I majored on Bari Sax at West Chester University in PA and graduated with a BS in Music Ed. I am the bari sax player with the Macungie Commnity Band in Macungie, PA and the Municipal Band of Allentown. I even marched Drum Corps as a contra bass player but we won't go there! I have played since 1990 a Conn Bari Sax with a Low A. Last August I even got a Tattoo of my bari on my left calf. Unfortunately, as of lateI have been playing extremely sharp. It probably is from lack of practice or the fact that I play so many other instruments at school. I use a Selmer C* mouthpiece. I even have to pull out the neck, I am so sharp (terrible I know but otherwise I don't come even near to in tune.) Any suggestions on other mouthpieces or tips would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from any other die-hard bari players just to chat on how wonderful the bari is or other bari related issues.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: 1 Barisaxy Lady

Hi Nancy J., Welcome to the forum. Your vast experience in Music and Saxophone studies will be very much appreciated here. There are a lot of neophytes and youngsters posting here who need someone to help them along and answer questions. Although you have a few questions of your own, you will doubtless provide answers to many others. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Did you change anything in your setup just before you started playing so sharp (like start using a different mouthpiece)? Or, maybe everyone else is playing flat? :-) I am sorry that I don't know anything about the various mouth pieces but someone else may help with that. However, my Conn Tenor also plays more sharp when I use any mouthpiece other than the one that came with the horn. You could try to find a mouthpiece that has a more open chamber (thereby in effect making the horn longer). I find, however, that pulling the neck out about 1/8 inch and tightening it there works just fine for me!

Reply To Post

1. by Barisaxy
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the exact same mouthpiece for about 15 years. I do pull the neck out but even with that I have to pull my mouthpiece out almost to the end. I did switch reeds a few years ago and am using Vandoren now. It wasn't a sudden change in intonation, just very gradual. I am told that the C* has a pretty open chamber and is used for mostly classical playing. The mouthpiece it came with was a very cheep plastic, 'straight' style mouthpiece where mine is 'thicker' Thanks for the suggestions, every little bit helps.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Nancy, It sounds like you might have a couple of things working against you here. For one, you haven't been playing in a while, and most likely your embrochure needs some work. Hey, it happens to us all. I took a break for a couple months and when I started playing again, I couldn't believe how sloppy I was. The other factor is that you play a Conn bari sax, and although they are a great sax with a great tone, they do not work well with Selmer C* mouthpieces. You may have had an easier time keeping the horn in tune when your embrochure was in better shape, but the Selmer mouthpiece has a smaller chamber design, and they don't usually work too well with the Conn saxes. You need a mouthpiece with a large, open chamber and a fairly long shank. For a cheap mouthpiece, the Rico Royal Graftonite pieces are pretty good, or a Meyer, Otto Link, or Jody Jazz would be a good choice. Just keep practicing and building up you embrochure again and you'll get there. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!