Saxophone Forum

by Jenn
(3 posts)
19 years ago

need info about American Artist sax

I inherited my grandfather's saxophone and now my son is playing. I am looking for any information about it. The sax is silver with mother of pearl keys. An "American Artist" mark appears on the bell and the serial number is on the back side. I have been unable to find anything about the year it was made, by what company, etc. Any idea what it is worth or where to look for that information? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: need info about American Artist sax

Hi Jenn, Can you give me the serial number, and any other patent numbers, etc. that are on the back of the horn near the thumb rest? A couple pictures would help too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

19 years ago

American artist was a martin made stencil but buescher also made some ! Confusing? yes. Stencil horns were made by most of the big companies and a picture would help. If it has bevelled tone holes it will be a martin. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Jenn
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

the serial number is 10277. I will forward pictures asap. thanks a lot!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Dave is correct. I believe all of their soprano saxophones were made by Martin, and many of their altos. Buescher made some altos ,C Melody saxophones, and tenors. It seems like Conn might have made a few tenors also, but I don't recall.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Jenn
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Based on the information I received in response to my first request, I do believe it was made by Martin. It does have the soldered, bevelled tone holes. Does anyone know in what year it might have been made? or what the worth today might be? My son takes it to high school and leaves it there during the week. I'm not sure if that is a mistake or if I need to insure the sax? Thanks to everyone again for all your help!

Reply To Post