Saxophone Forum

by jazzplayer15
(27 posts)
19 years ago

Biting your bottom lip...

When I play I can only play for about 15 minuted without my bottom lip hurting. Is this because I'm not used to the mouthpeice, or is it normal. If it isn't normal, how can I fix it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bariboy
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Biting your bottom lip...

i had that same problem. this happened to me 2 years ago. my lip started to bleed and i couldn't play. my instructor gave me some EZO denture cushion. you can get it at wal-mart. cut a piece, run it under hot water, mold it to your teeth, and run it under cold water. it really works i have been using it since then. 1 box will last forever. make sure to change it every 2 weeks. hope this helps

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

its a lack of endurance. just practice more more and build lip endurance.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

There is also the possibility that you are pinching with your embouchre. There really shouldn't be that much pressure on your bottom lip. Your bottom lip is there to create a seal and possibly add vibrato - it's not there to hold up your horn. A TIRED lip from lack of endurance - yes. A BLEEDING lip is a sign that something is VERY wrong with your embouchre - regardless of your level of experience. Try putting the horn to your right and angle the horn forward so the mouthpiece comes up into your embouchre at a slight angle - not perpendicular to it. This is a problem common with people who play seated with the horn at center (as I used to). Seek professional help - shell out for some private lessons.

Reply To Post