Saxophone Forum

by saxxy
(1 post)
19 years ago

Merano Sax

Can you please tell me if these are a good sax? Where are they made? I need to buy one for a teenager for school and I don't know much about them. I don't what to spend alot of $$.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tammi Stratton
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Merano Sax

Would like to know information about merano sax? Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

You'd likely be better off getting used Yamaha YAS23 or YTS23 (the first is alto, the second, tenor). There are lots of them out there, and the brand is much more reliable. Also, some vintage horns that might be good (if in good condition) would be Conn (pre 1970), Buscher (also pre-1970), Martin, or King.

Reply To Post

1. by Ash X
      (1 post)

18 years ago

Hi I'm trying to purchase off ebay and so far my options are between a Merano and a Selman Gold Brass Saxophone. I'm shopping for a Tenor Saxophone, can you tell me which one's better and why? Thanx

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I can't recommend either one. I am particularly afraid of the "Selman," because it is so obvious a ploy to make one think it is a "Selmer." Please look under "High School Saxophone", and find "Jim's List of approved saxophones." It will give you a better direction than the prices on Ebay.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzin710
      (1 post)

10 years ago

I have had my merano alto sax for over 3 years now. This is a great instrument for a CAREFUL owner. I feel the sax would not hold up to the abuse of a common student. I play at home only and not in a band so my instrument is not banged up and cared for attentivly. The rod metal feels bendible unlike the rods on my yts-23 tenor. It plays fine, but the screws controling the F keys stopper that pushes down on the G# key must be regurlarily adjusted or certain notes will not play. Overall, if someone is to buy this sax, they must be incredibly patient and a strong problem solver.

Reply To Post