Saxophone Forum

by BlackSax15
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Which mouthpieces to try?

Hi, in a few weeks, I'm going to use WWBW's "try four mouthpieces at a time" mouthpiece trial policy. Hopefully, I will be successful on my first tryout, but I need opinions on Morgan Metal, Meyer Metal, Peter Ponzol rubber, Phil Barone rubber, and Jody Jazz rubber mouthpieces (which 4 should I get?) Locally, I can get ahold of meyer rubber, a beechler metal. and vandoren rubber (my stock mouthpiece which happens to be alright). My setup now is a Yanagisawa alto 9930 with the stock mouthpiece and vandoren zz 2.5 reeds. Any suggestions on which mouthpieces to try (on or off the list I gave) Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Which mouthpieces to try?

Try the Meyer rubber M5,,I find it the best Mp I have tryed....

Reply To Post

2. by BlueTrain
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

I actually suggest that you not waste any time with any of those pieces. If you are willing to shell out a good amount of cash, I recomend you get a piece from Fred Rast. All his pieces are custom, handcrafted pieces. He makes pieces that, when you compare them to vintage Otto Links (both rubber and metal), his out play the vintage piece. He also does a lot of work on vintage Selmer Soloists, and makes pieces similar but better than Meyer New Yorks, and tons more. He just recently did work on a Selmer Soloist for Kenny Garrett and has been the choice of a lot of top cats. I play a hard rubber piece of his on alto (it compares to the Meyer New York, but plays far better). On tenor, I used to play a piece he did similar to a vintage hard rubber Otto Link, but just recently started playing a metal Otto Link he worked on. I am extremely satisfied with ALL of the pieces. I cannot find a piece that comes anywhere near the quality of Fred Rast. For the quality, the price of his pieces are a real steal. His website is www.rastmusic.com He doesnt have much on it, but you'll find a means of contacting him on there. PS - I noticed you mentioned the Phil Barone pieces. I think Fred Rast's are somehwere around that price. If you do decide to give him a try, I am sure he will also be able to recomend the reeds that play best with the particular mouthpiece you purchase.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by BlackSax15
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

actually, im looking to spend 150 or less

Reply To Post

1. by sax kid
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

if your are playing clasical try to find a siguard rascher, but if your playing jazz or somthing else get a BARI.

Reply To Post

2. by sax kid
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

if your are playing clasical try to find a siguard rascher, but if your playing jazz or somthing else get a BARI. they are bolth under 110$

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

What kind of sound are you looking for? What do you want to play? Those are all good mouthpieces. If I know more what sound you are looking for, I might be able to give you a few suggestions. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by soupzill
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

WHERE IS THE POLICY...I NEED IT!!!

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

i purchased a selmer E soloist for jazz.. its a TAADD bit dark for me which forces me to exagerate my articulation a little bit.. but i guess thats a good thing cuz i have a super lazy toungue.. i like the tone i get with the piece as well as the sound it helps me produce and develop. its very nice on projection, but u kinda have to push yourself as you do for any piece to really "play out".. im working on getting my tone to be able to cut through a room full of sound. i want to be able to be heard with a room full of 79 other band mates playing other random things.. the selmer E soloist helps

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

4. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

Which mouthpieces to try?

I have heard really good things about Morgans. I have also heard good things about Runyons and they are quite cheap

Reply To Post