Saxophone Forum

by RJurden
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Tenor vs. Alto

Please forgive me for being an inept saxophone player. I would like to know 2 things about an Alto vs a Tenor. First: Is tenor sax music generally written in G clef (Treble Clef)?? Second: On G clef music, is a Tenor Saxophone's middle C the same fingering as an Alto Saxophone's?? (Middle finger, left hand only)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor vs. Alto

Yes, tenor music is written in G clef. The fingerings are the exact same, only the tenor is in Bb. Middle C is still middle C. The scales are the same. The difference is that the tenor (along with the soprano and bass sax) is in the key of Bb, while the alto (also sopranino and baritone) are in Eb. This confuses a lot of people. You're playing the same scale, but the notes coming out are different. The key of C on a tenor produces the same notes as the key of G on an alto, so you may need to transpose some music. I play soprano, alto, tenor and baritone. I think tenor is probably the easiest to play. Soprano is definately the hardest.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by RJurden
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

So...I should be able to "pick up" a tenor, and just read the music ang play, just like my alto???

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

19 years ago

If you're playing by yourself, yes. If you're playing with other musicians, than just as connsaxman_jim said, you'll have to transpose.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

19 years ago

If you're reading the Tenor Saxophone part, you won't need to transpose. Plus, the embouchure is somewhat more open to play the Tenor. Generally, though, it's like playing the same instrument, only larger.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

Don't confuse treble cleft with G cleft. Unless you take up viola or conducting, you probably won't see any G cleft music. G cleft plays between treble and bass cleft. All the saxophones are fun to play. You will play in treble cleft. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by RJurden
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks everyone.... Yes...I meant playig Tenor Sax music (already transposed). I am just worried about needing to learn new fingerings / learning to read music notes on a different clef. I seems that I won't need to do that!

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Transposed or not, you will not play in G cleft. Piano and guitar will play a whole step under you. If you play in C, they will play in B flat. If you play in F, they will play in E flat. You are still playing in treble cleft.

1. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

Jamterry, Another name for Treble Clef is G Clef, so named because the treble clef sign curls around the second line, which denotes a G, or because the treble clef sign was orignally a stylized G. Bass clef is also known as F Clef, as the dot on the bass cleff sign is on the fourth line, which denotes an F (It also was once an actual F). There is also a C Clef, which is often used for Tenor Clef (when centered on the fourth line) or Alto Clef (centered on the middle line). Usually this clef is used in orchestra for stringed instruments. The center of the sign is always Middle C (what saxophone players might call low C, on the first line below the staff).

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

Sax Mom, i'm sorry!!!! I was thinking of the alto clef which you mentioned. I loved what you said about eating in a restaurant. :) Take care, Terry