Saxophone Forum

by Gooshbanshee
(24 posts)
18 years ago

Julliard, eastman, or New ingland conservatory

hey, I was just woundering. which on of these colleges are the best. From what ive gathered Eastman is, but I was hoping at least someone has gone to one of these colleges and has their personal opinion. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Julliard, eastman, or New ingland conservatory

for legitate julliard has probably the best program i would say i know many will agree with me and im sure alot will disagree but julliard is julliard which ever they are all fine schools also i believe julliard is based alot on the music where as at other schools you have to go and get accepted to the college first to even audition dont know if thats a problem but it is something to think about

Reply To Post

1. by Squirrel
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

For legit saxophone? Julliard, Eastman AND New England are NOT... I REPEAT... NOT.. classical saxophone schools... Yes they have good programs as all the studios are comprised of quality musicians; however, the best schools for classical saxophone are not conservatories. Check out: University of Michigan Michigan State University Northwestern Indiana University Bowling Green State University University of New Mexico Iowa University State University of New York in Potsdam, NY (SUNY Potsdam) Ithaca College Also.. the best schools are based on the studio teacher... not the school overall. Also, look for which schools produce the most classical professors at other schools... that is always an indication of the best studios (I.E. Northwestern from 1960s-1990s produced more saxophone professors at major universities than any other school in the country.) Hope that helps...

Reply To Post

1. by Jyles1024
        (3 posts)

15 years ago

You do realize Juliard doesn't even have a classical saxophone program, right? If you want to become an exclusively technical player, Northwestern is your choice. If you want musicality AND technical prowess, Manhattan School of Music all the way. NEC has the same sort of deal that Northwestern does, no musicality, and I'm not too sure about Eastman (from what I've seen the students are good), but as far as being a player who will be able to do more than just play fast, MSM is your choice.

Reply To Post

1. by hemkestudent
          (5 posts)

14 years ago

For the record, I went to Northwestern and studied with Dr. Hemke. I do not consider myself to be an exclusive technical player. Far from it. In fact, my technique is quite average compared to many concert players. In all my lessons with Dr. Hemke, he never griped about a fingering, or to play faster, higher - etc. "everything" I mean "everything" he teaches is based around interpretation of the literature and thinking of music in a non technical way. He may attract some very technical players to study with him, but he really does not treat saxophone students in that way.

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

14 years ago

I enjoy how these most recent responses/discussions occurred 4 years after this person was looking for schools...

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

small technicality

Reply To Post

2. by flowertj
        (6 posts)

14 years ago

I think it is very ignorant and rude for you to criticize Frederick Hemke's and Kenneth Radnofsky's abilities. Both are very influential saxophonists who have contributed significantly to our art form. Dr. Hemke and Dr. Radnofsky have played with such orchestras as the New York Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and the Boston Symphony Orchestra as soloists. Do you think they achieved that by playing without musicality?

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

just read the entire topic. nobody insulted Hemke or Radnofsky though Hemke put his name on some reeds that arent very good.....

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

you do realize this thread died four years ago? sufficient time to graduate? anyway, Lawrence U. in wisconson would be my choice. and who really goes to school to play professional classical sax anymore? and expects to make money from playing?

Reply To Post

3. by hemkestudent
      (5 posts)

14 years ago

I did not go to school to play professional classical saxophone. I went to pursue a continuation of music development, using an applied performance degree. I happen to do this with saxophone. In addition, I chose to improve my teaching skills through performance. I happen to teach public school band (by choice) and would not trade my experiences completing that degree merely because "concert saxophone playing" it is not a common professional performance.

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

.... it was a joke ... congrats on choosing to teach at a public school- good teachers can be hard to find sometimes.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber, classical sax players are always behind the times. Unless of course they prefer the really comtemporary composers. Ha, Ha! And who really goes to school to play classical saxophone? Guys who can't play Jazz!
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Does anyone know why they call classical music played on sax legit saxophone? They don't say legit violin! How about legit harmonica? Is jazz not legit? Are jazz sax players not legit? I THINK THEY ARE!
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

dont worry kelsey, its just the classical players patting themselves on the back. self-esteem issues, you know the bit. jazz is so legit, it boggles the mind. it doesnt even have to be said.

Reply To Post

8. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber, we just can't make them mad. This is really getting boring! We need action..........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

9. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

its pretty tough to make people who arent here listening to us mad, isnt it?

Reply To Post

10. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Like the economy, this too will come back. It's slow everywhere! Why should we expect this to be different. I'm spending some time now on facebook. It seems to be helping...........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

11. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber, it just occured to me that if this guy who started this thread can afford to go to Julliard, Eastman, or New England Conservatory, He can afford to be a Legit saxophone player. He won't get a job that pays anything after graduation (if its family money that dosen't matter) but he can be one of those studio teachers teaching others to teach.
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

12. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

(insert face of realization and agreement here) rich musicians seem to get their money from non-musical means, except for special cases. of course, since he probably graduated recently, this is all hypothetical. and facebook? (shakes head)

Reply To Post

13. by knorter
      (205 posts)

15 years ago

damn.... twice in one year I agree with Kelsey. Sigh. I forgot already who made the point about studio teacher but I completely agree with that too. The school doesn't matter but the saxophone instructor does. You're paying roughly 30 Grand a year to learn about the saxophone and the original poster didn't mention the saxophone professors at any of those schools. What a waste. While I think that sometimes "classical saxophone studies" by itself can be a self perpetuating art form, I strongly stand behind my belief that studying classical technique is essential to being a successful saxophonist in the commercial world. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

14. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Knorter, I though Cuber and I were the last two people on earth. However, I disagree with you agreeing with me.............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by flowertj
    (6 posts)

14 years ago

I would have to advise against Juilliard's classical saxophone program, simply because there really isn't one. It's a great place to go for jazz saxophone however. Eastman and New England Conservatory are both fantastic schools for classical saxophone. Chien-Kwan Lin teaches at Eastman, and Kenneth Radnofsky at New England Conservatory. They are both very nice people and outstanding saxophonists, and I would say you can't go wrong with either.

Reply To Post