Saxophone Forum

by gregoryrh
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Introduction and question on Yamaha YTS 61 Tenor

Hi, I'm started later in life by taking saxaphone lessons at age 50. I've been playing a couple of years now. I play a Stephanhauser intermediate alto. I played a rented soprano for awhile. I also recently started playing a rented Vito student tenor. My question is about the level and quality of a Yamaha YT 61 tenor. Also, what do the experienced feel about purchasing saxophones or any instrument off of ebay?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Introduction and question on Yamaha YTS 61 Tenor

The Yamaha YTS 61 is a great sax. It's a pro model horn. It was replaced by the YTS 62. They play very well, have excellent intonation, and they hold together very well too. I have purchased a few horns on ebay, and all but one of them (out of 10) were as stated and arrived in good condition. Unfortunately, a lot of the horns sold on ebay are misrepresented, and many people seem to know very little about them, and rather they are even playable or not. I would ask the seller how long he or she has owned the horn, if it was used by a band student, if it was repadded or had any repair since they have owned it, if there are any dings or dents, does it come with a case, mouthpiece, etc. Expect to spend some money on adjustments and a few pads. Chances are, the horn is going to need at lease a few minor adjustments. Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

19 years ago

I have purchased two saxophones through ebay, and am happy with both of them. However, please stick with the classic brands. The cheap new ones are cheap.

Reply To Post

2. by gregoryrh
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the help. greg

Reply To Post