Saxophone Forum

by straightj
(18 posts)
18 years ago

Marching Band Shows

I want to know what your marching band's show is about this year. Tell me about your drill, special moves, visuals, songs, etc. You can also tell me what your band has done in the past couple years as well. I'll start off: 2005-Ragtime: The Musical. Songs include: Ragtime, Your Daddy's Son, Buffalo Nickel Photoplay Inc. (featuring the drumline), and Wheels of a Dream. 2004-Salute to the city of New Orleans. Songs include: South Rampart Street Parade, Can't Help Lovin' That Man, (percussion break), and A Closer Walk With Thee/When the Saints Go Marching In. 2003-The Sun, Moon, and the Stars. Songs include: Moonlight Serenade/It's Only a Paper Moon, Sun and Moon, and Moonithology/How High the Moon (featuring the drumline) and more throughout the years.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by straightj
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Marching Band Shows

Every marching band has a tradition. When it comes to what we have had in our shows in the past years, we have a lot. Marching maneuvers: Blitz (fast pace move involving lines moving in the opposite directions. it is a hard move because of hitting a line every count and 4 to 5 marching.), Follow the leader (whole band in one line following each other in a special design. Visuals: Lean, Leg cross, leg out, things to say, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by straightj
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

I apologize for all of these postings. They should all be in one, but I have more to say. Another visual that we have is a pose at the end of a selected song. At the end of the song, each of us think up a silly pose to stand in for a certain amount of time. For example, Pointing at someone, call your shot, act like your in battle with the person next to you, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

18 years ago

This year our theme is Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. It sounds stupid but we actually put on a good show. We play Mustang Sally, Leaving on a Jet Plane, Come Fly with Me. Caravan, and Crazy Train. Its a high energy show with some spectacular sets. In Caravan, the entire band does a crab step (usually only a drum player move) across the field. We usually get a lot of GE points for it. We also have a drumline solo b/t Caravan and Crazy Train. In it we also do a pose after a "free style party" time. So far we've gone to two competitions and gotten Superior at both.

Reply To Post

1. by Imarif
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

This year, our marching band is doing a field show of the Cirque de Soleil show "Quidam". It's kinda Middle Eastern sounding, but it sounds really good between Atmadja, Ninkou Latora (not actually part of the Cirque de Soleil version, but it fits well anyhow), Quidam, and Incantation. It's shaping up to be pretty good.

Reply To Post

2. by daisygirl709
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

This year, our show is called Of Sailors and Whales. It is based on the book Moby Dick. The 5 songs are Father Mapple(which is mostly singing), Ahab, Ishmael, Queequeg, and The White Whale. Its a really great show, although we can't march it that well, but thats another story... We add all sorts of little horn flashes and 360 turns. All that good stuff. Last year we did Jesus Christ Superstar. The year before that was Circus Circus which had Entry of the Gladiators, Sabre Dance, Hungarian Dance #4, etc. The year before that, 4 years ago, was The Planets. It featured Saturn, Jupiter, and Pluto I believe. And 5 years ago was the Civil War. That's all I know for past shows.

Reply To Post

3. by altosax4ever
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Our show this year is of the band Earth Wind and Fire. We're playing In the Stone Let's Groove, After the love is gone , (I've got a solo!) and Getaway/September. We've got a lot of cool GE, and I'm really happy with it, especially since our percussion is VERY young. (mostly freshman and eigth graders)

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor Man
        (8 posts)

18 years ago

This year we are doing a Ray Charles theme for our feild show. We are playing Georgia On My Mind, Hit the Road Jack, I Can't Stop Loving You, and What I Say. We do alot of little poses and stuff but nothing big. The whole band exculding the low brass does a clap at the begening of What I Say but that is really it. Last year we did a Beatles theme of the Magical Mystery Tour. we played Magical Mystery Tour , Something, and Can't Buy Me Love. We did more visuals then. Like the whole band posed and did the crab step.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmachinedom
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

we got to play bits of the incredibles soundtrack this year, with colorguard dueling and a whole bunch of other things. our final set was the litle incredible"i," with the drumline as the dot :-p before the show we do this four count lean back and flip our horns before the step off

Reply To Post

2. by checkster
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, we also did after the love is gone this year. It wasa really good tune. We did a funk them, so it was that, give up the funk, let it whip, and a perc feature Ffun.

Reply To Post

1. by minderbender7
            (4 posts)

18 years ago

a bit late for this thread but i was searchin' around and saw it so whatever... Our band did Pat Metheny this year...Last Train Home, Beat 70, Letter from Home, Cathedral in a Suitcase, and Minuano...We were a pretty small unit this year though just under 100...and we snatched the USSBA IVA champs title amazingly fun show and i hope to those people with the privelege to play Metheny in the future that it is fun for you too

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxgrobie
              (86 posts)

18 years ago

Our show was "Cleopatra: the last Pharoah"...It was an okay show. Had some pretty cool drill for it. Since our band is really small (around 75 people) our drill writer, during the last song, put us all right in between the 40 yard lines and had us do a rotating fan-looking thing. But it often came out looking like a swatsika!!!

Reply To Post AIM