Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Saxophones

I have a selmer series III and I think its awsome, I've played on it for 3 years now. Now im starting to drive away from concert band and into jazz, and i was looking and some people say that the new "Reference 54" Selmer is suppose to be similar to the Mark VI, in other words a great jazz sax, but I've never tried one. Anyone know if I should change to it if I plan on jazz all the time? The only thing thats a problem is the money so I was thinking of trading in my series III...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Saxophones

If the series III is an awesome horn for you, it will be no less so in jazz than legit. In other words, get yourself a good jazz mouthpiece and play what you've got. The main thing is the player, not so much the horn!

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

Your horn is fine. There is no magic jazz horn. Hi Kristy Norter wherever you are :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

19 years ago

Amen. I affirm the previous two posts. I don't play Selmer, but if it's an awesome horn for you, stick with it.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

18 years ago

Ok Jamterry-You are right on the money. The only suggestion I might have if you start playing professionally is having the horn set-up differently. Do not go out and do this unless this is mostly a jazz horn. Kids don't run to your folks and tell them you need to do this!!!!!! This will not make you sound better. Some people suggest having the pad heights greater (the pads open up more in a resting position) and also adding metal resonators to the horn. Both of these adjustments will make a horn slightly louder and project more which means it will amplify your current sound. No magic pill right Jamterry? Be warned replacing resonators means you have to have an overhaul ($600) plus the cost of resonators ($75-100) and I wouldn't have just anyone do these changes. The resonators might be a bit much if you continue playing classical. If the key heights aren't done right you will have horrible intonation problems. These are changes I would advise to someone mostly playing jazz or commercial on a semi-pro to pro level who has an extremely knowledgeable repair person. . Otherwise a complete waste of your money. If the horn really plays well then keep it. If you happen to play another horn and find that it really feels better when you play it then maybe consider trading it in otherwise keep it. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Eah well, i have an old yamaha that i use for marching band and it has plastic resonators, but my Selmer III has metal ones and they play just as loud...so not sure about that. The only place anyways here that repairs horns and all that stuff is like the crappiest store ever, almost lost my horn once and they hold on to it longer than normal and charge extra -.-". And for mouthpiece I play on a Dukoff D8 and Medium hard lavoz reed, is there something else I should be using? Not all of our songs we play are classical.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

Well, if you can get a good tone and control out of that mpc / reed combo, I'd stick with it.... for jazz and rock. I don't think I'd personally use that combo for classical stylings, though... much too brash. If you're looking for a more all-around piece try a good hard rubber. Most of the better quality HR mpcs. I've played can go from soft and lush right to hard and loud with just taking in a little more reed into your mouth and a slight change in embochure (sp.?) Go to that crappy store and try out as many mpc / reed combos as you can until you find one that can do it all for you.

Reply To Post

2. by Superactionsax
        (2 posts)

14 years ago

I went to try out the Reference 54 last year at the MMEA for All State Jazz and its got no comparison to a great conditioned MKVI. The Selmer Series III, at least the new one, is one of the best horns that can be offered to the sax world. It also depends on the type of mouthpiece you have. Its all got to do with the reed and mouthpiece, even with the best horn, a bad mouthpiece can make it sound horrible. Stick with what works for you, and if it were me, I wouldnt let it go.

Reply To Post