Saxophone Forum

by sofian444
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Mouthpieces

I am 15 and have played tenor sax for two years now in my high school band. This year I started playing 1st tenor in our jazz band and 2nd chair in Wind Ensemble, and i really have to get a new mouthpiece. i use a yamaha 4c on a cannonball big bell tenor with vandoren's java reeds (2 1/2) and i have NO IDEA as to what type of mouthpiece i should buy. a local musician told me that the reason why my sound was becoming messed up was becuase my current mouthpiece was too closed, and that i should try an otto link 7*. i dont know anything about mouthpieces. honestly i dont know what the 7 means, but i think its the size. What do you look for when you buy a mouthpiece? Whats the difference between metal and resin? What kind of mouthpiece should i buy if i play jazz and classical? any help would be much appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sofian444
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

i forgot to say i was looking to spend $100 or less.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

7* on an Otto Link refers to the tip opening (amount of space between a straight new reed and the tip of the mouthpiece) There is a guide for comparative tip openings (different mpc makers use different designations) here: www.mouthpieceheaven.com/content/tips_Tenor-Chart.htm From what I understand, the Yamaha may be around .74 of an opening?? larger tips generally give you more volume, which is necessary for jazz/swing or as a soloist in concert settings, but you might find you have to drop to a softer reed than with the 4C If you're looking for a mpc for both classical and swing I don't happen to have a suggestion in your pricerange. The closest I could personally recommend is a Soloist at around $120. Not my personal choice at mouthpiece, but it's decent I find for both types of playing. Generally you are looking for a mpc that lets you create the sound you're after first, then you test it for response by trying a few pieces in different openings. When you find one you like, you buy it. Be wary of mpcs that squeek or chirp or produce intonation issues. You shouldn't give a mouthpiece any excuses when auditioning them. Find the one you like best and take it home.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

I've only been playing a year myself, but I chipped my Yamaha 4C early on and replaced it with a 5C and noticed an improvement immediately. Under $30 from most on line stores, and you don't need a new ligature...

Reply To Post