Saxophone Forum

by Sax cat
(5 posts)
18 years ago

New to site....and need some help.

Hi there, I've been checking out the posts, and wow, you all are passionate about saxes! My problem is I am having touble finding the right information. if you all would assist, or point me in the right direction, here goes: I picked up a 'Martin Alto' c 1950 and taught myself to play it to double for community theater pit band 20 yrs ago. Now I'm in a big band and I want to trade in for a new horn. 2 questions: Where can I get comparison info about horns related to tone, style, materials/durability, ability to stay in tune over time, ect.. How can I get a realistic appraisal of my old Martin so I don't get ripped off with a trade-in or resale? It ain't pretty, but it's my baby. Dreaming big tonight, I tried out a Selmer 52 series, Yamaha YAS 827, and Cannonball Big Bell stone series. They were all beautiful, responsive, and easy to play with a Berg Larson and C* mouthpieces. My favorite was the Cannonball because the tone was darker and more consistant over the entire register. Similar to my martin, but without the effort. The cannonball post is over a year old, and hard to follow. Has any one tried this year's models? Am I ontrack with this method of checking out saxes? Thanks, and I appreciate the help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to site....and need some help.

Yeah keep on with this method, try them out and buy the one you like most. As for this year's cannonballs, they are actually no different playing wise, its just asthetics. Most people will agree though, it is a pretty good horn. As for you Martin Alto, its not worth anything... ill send you the shipping fee... lol kidding. In all seriousness, why do you want to part with your martin? They are killer horns!!! I personally play a 62 Music man edition bari as my main bari these days, and a freind of mine has a 53 martin alto as his main axe, and both a are nigh on unbeatable in sound. regardless of how it looks, if all it needs is some attention to put in tip top shape, go for it!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax cat
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I love the was the Martin sounds, and two years ago I had it overhauled so the pads, springs and all are in good shape. The friends who have played it like the tone also. Problems are age related, mine and his. The ancillary keys seem very far away especialy for low notes. I have to strain to reach the low "pinky" keys and can't maintain the seals. It's heavy and very unforgiving in pitch if I get tired. The thumb rest has popped off twice, and I don't know if this is a sign of things to come... Now, until last night, I have never been unfaithful to him. So I have no clue what is out there. Curiosity and all.....what are all these extra keys for? Rocker keys? Who knew! I'm considering sale or trade to finance purchase of a horn that helps me play more consistantly, and with less straining. This feedback is great, practical info is such a confidence booster. By the way, what would be the minimum I should accept for my baby, should I decide to part with him?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Between probably around 1200 to 1500 for it, depending on condition. If it were perfect as high as 2000. Its hard to really tell without seeing pictures

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax cat
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

whoa. I'll be back with pictures. Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I think that estimate is a bit high. I'd fine a similar one on ebay. That would give you an online value. Add 20% for local sale value, subtract a whole lot for trade-in value.

Reply To Post