Saxophone Forum

by keycup
(12 posts)
18 years ago

Need advice, pls: mpc, lig for my 11-year old.

How important is mpc & lig for a starting sax player? He's using a freshly overhauled '68 Conn alto (14M Director) with the original Conn mpc/lig. Would there be any playability advantages for him if I got a new mpc/lig, say a Runyon Model 22? If so, which size facing (3, 4, or 5) would you recommend? Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need advice, pls: mpc, lig for my 11-year old.

With a Conn, I would stick to the original mouthpiece, especially for now. Often, other mouthpieces will cause a Conn Horn to play sharp, and your son is just starting, and won't be able to judge pitch as well. (When I put a different mouthpiece on my Conn tenor, I had to raise the neck slightly to get it to play in tune.)

Reply To Post

1. by keycup
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, Sax Mom. I'm trying to think of any ways that I can make it easier and more enjoyable for him so that just maybe he'll stick with it.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

The older Conn tenors(30s, 40s) mainly are the ones that have had intonation issues IMO with some mouthpieces. Your '68 Conn there would be fine with a modern mouthpiece. The model 22 would be a fine choice for him, with the stock lig, or maybe a Rovner lig. I would go with the 4 or 5 facing, either will be fine. As for reeds, basic orange box ricos are cheap, and fine at this stage because he is bound to break and chip quite a few for a while.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by keycup
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, definition. You're right, he's a reed destroyer, so we are using the orange box Ricos. Can you explain how the ligature effects playability and/or tonal quality, and why the Rovner might be better than the stock Runyon lig?

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

In short, different ligatures allow the reed to vibrate differently, causing changes in responsiveness etc when playing. I personally like the standard runyon ligs, though some people dont seem to care for them. The rovner ligs are my favorite ligature to use, because I feel they hold the reed very firmly, and evely so the response stays even. If you decide to get a rvner lig, the Rovner 'Dark' is very common in school aged students

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by keycup
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the info and for helping me understand the basics.

Reply To Post