Saxophone Forum

by saxskillzyamaha
(52 posts)
18 years ago

pearls

i have a yts-52 and i lost the f key pearl (right hand first finger) and the b flat bis-key. I believe they are real pearls. Can anyone help me?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

18 years ago

Re: pearls

no they are plastic, unless the horn is super old, but I doubt it either way. go to any repair shop - they can order pearls for you - if they don't have some already.

Reply To Post

1. by saxskillzyamaha
      (52 posts)

18 years ago

i heard if you scratch the pearl and it leaves a mark, its fake and if you scratch it and its smooth and leaves no mark its real. I tested it and it left no mark. Im not sure excactly how old it is, but i have been wondering that. Can you tell from the serial number? and if so i wil give it.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I never heard that... but real pears will be rough across your teeth, where fake ones are smooth.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

They were never pearls ever (imagine the cost !!! ) they were abolonie shell (dont know the correct spelling ) Dave

Reply To Post

2. by saxskillzyamaha
          (52 posts)

18 years ago

ok, thank you, but i was wondering if by the serial number you could tell how old it is?

Reply To Post

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

On most horns you can, but not the yamaha. They do not have a conclusive serial number chart, nor will they tell you if you call

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by saxskillzyamaha
          (52 posts)

18 years ago

why is that?

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Try asking Yamaha. They don't answer.

Reply To Post

6. by saxskillzyamaha
          (52 posts)

18 years ago

have you tried calling them before?

Reply To Post

7. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

many people have. It seems they are willing to help with technical problems/questions of their horns, but when you get to the subject at hand...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Many people confuse pearl, with "mother of pearl". I have no idea what "mother of pearl is" or if there is a "father of pearl". Most of them are plastic.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

18 years ago

I am pretty sure that the "Pearl" that is on most saxes is "Mother of Pearl". This is actually NOT plastic, and is created by certain mollusks. If saxophone keys were made of Original Pearl, i believe this would be far too expensive.

Reply To Post

10. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Vintage horns used aboline shell as pearls (mother of pearl) but modern horns are plastic Dave

Reply To Post

11. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

pearl is the tiny little sphere inside an oyster...the inside of the shell is the Mother Of Pearl area. You may know that oysters naturally producing a Pearl is rare (unless it is harvested and mass produced un-naturally). This is why jewelers charge so much more for 'natural pearls' than for 'man-made' pearls (What they actually do is inject the oyster with a tiny grain of sand). Anyways, so you can see how there is an abundance of Mother Of Pearl in relation to an actual Pearl. Lots of things are made with Mother of Pearl...ever see those $200 golf shirts those country club guys wear? Check out the buttons...that's mother of pearl. And the keys on my 57xxx Mark VI Alto are Mother Of Pearl. They've worn down over the years and has a great feel. So here's really why I posted: my mother of pearl F# key fell out... right hand middle finger...i wanna put it back in, what kind of adhesive should i use? my horn is silver plated as well. I wasnt sure how the alloys & metals would react to epoxy/resin or superglue. but yes...most modern horns have plastic touch points

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I would ask a jeweler what kind of adhesive is best.

Reply To Post

13. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

thanks Sax Mom...but i happened to talk to one of the local guys here in SoCal, he works at Horn Improvement www.hornimprovement.com - he said they just use Super Glue...i was worried about some chemical reaction with the brass or silver, but he said that's what they use anyways. ...thought i'd let the rest of the sax world know...

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, super glue is the way to go, and don't worry about it damaging anything. Did you know that some guitar players super glue their calluses back on when they get torn off? Creepy, but true...

Reply To Post

15. by lionpud
          (1 post)

18 years ago

I've sent several messages to Yamaha to find out the age of a recently purchase YAS-23. The employee on hand was as helpful as possible, but it seems that Yamaha lacks the pride of other instrument manufacturers and does not retain, or at least, make public a serial number reference chart. Here's a couple of Yamaha's responses: "Thank you. The horn which you have purchased seems to predate our current records which only go back to 1990. I wish I had more information to give. The only advice I can offer is a guess based on other horns I have seen in the past. I believe it would most likely be between 1985-1989. You could try looking for people selling them on ebay. They usually post the serial number and the age of the horn on the listing. That also may give you an idea of how old your horn is. Thank you again and good luck."

Reply To Post