Saxophone Forum

by wenhene
(12 posts)
18 years ago

The Difference Between These Three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ? ? ?

I'm a Jazz learner from Taiwan who's eagering to find a sax witch has a Dark . Fat & Barking sound ( I'm that that good to describe it but definitely NOT a clear & sweet sound ), so I first thing about an Old Conn's Vintage Horn . After discussing with my teacher & viewed the discusing forum , I choose these three Old Conn : 1.New Wonder Models, "Series I" (s/n 41xxx to 143xxx; 1917 to 1924) 2.New Wonder Models, "Series II" (the "Chu Berry" Horns)(s/n 143xxx to 237xxx; 1924 to 1930) 3.New Wonder"Transitional" Models (s/n 235xxx to 263xxx; 1929 to 1935). Could any one tell me what the difference between these three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ( I mean : like sound , keys , horn deign , making process & material ... ) ? Another question : Is there anyone know why they've said it's better to use a Conn's Vintage Horns witch's SN# is over 20xxxx ? Nometter U can answer or not , thx for reading !!! : ) Jay

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The Difference Between These Three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ? ? ?

all three are great horns with not a great deal between the models except for a few tweeks in the keywork and the series 1 seem a bit weeker in the metal but nothing you would worry about. The very late transitional horns had 10m style same sided bell keys but still with the series 2 type L/H pinky table keys. All have a nice dark spread sound . I have a seris 1 ,series 2 and a 10m . I prefer the series 2 best. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The Difference Between These Three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ? ? ?

Keep in mind that a horn has to be in good playing condition to Bark. Sweet and clear tone is the foundation for such articulation as barking , growling, sighing, & etc. All those are within the parameters of a player's horn. I just don't want to see you buy a collector's item that isn't a players horn. I think the 10M would be a good horn for you. Hope it works out for you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ