Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
18 years ago

Ahh help! Tonguing!!

I've been playing tenor saxophone for about 2 years now and recently I have been getting frustrated because I'm noticing that I have a very poor tonguing technique, can anybody help? It's limiting me alot for the fast paced songs im trying to learn, and for the solos! I don't want to be one of those sax players that legato's everything, help!!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax alert
    (15 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Ahh help! Tonguing!!

The only solution is to practice. Practice, practice, practice. It's the best way to improve yourself. Experiment with different tonguing techniques until you find the one that fits you.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by RoYrOy
      (51 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah but how? What exactly can improve that aspect of playing?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Basically, tonguing means touching the reed with the tongue quickly to stop the vibration, and therefore the sound. My best practice technique for tonguing is to play one note, and breaking it into several short tones by saying to-to-to-to-to-to-to-to-to against the reed. Do this as quickly as you can without getting a sloppy sound, and do this on every note of the scale during warmups. When you quicken up your tongue, you'll be able to learn to coordinate the tonguing with the changing of the notes as well. There are double-tonguing techniques for saxophone as well, but you should work on quick single-tonguing first. It is cleaner. Good luck. (And I echo the previous response: Practice, practice, practice! :-) )

Reply To Post