Saxophone Forum

by Fred12
(11 posts)
18 years ago

Kohlert-Bixley horns

A local person has a Kohlert-Bixley alto for sale- s/n 92xxx, maybe made in the late 60's or early 70's. I'm looking for a setp up from a student horn, butcan't afford a real pro horn. Does anyone have any opinions about Bixley models?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Kohlert-Bixley horns

I doubt it will be a better horn as they were mass produced student ine Here is an clip from saxpics Dave BIXLEY (1957 to 1966): 1957 was a good year for Kohlert. They had just entered into their agreement with Western distributors in 1955 and needed to produce an intermediate/student model to meet the demand. The Bixley is definitely a mass-produced, fairly low quality student horn that was sold primarily as a Boosey & Hawkes stencil called either “The Edgware” (note the spelling -- not "Fogware") or “The Oxford” (if you happened to get one in Canada ). It’s possible that these horns were also sold by Sears in the US as either the “Silvertone” or “Concertone” model (no pictures yet).

Reply To Post

2. by Fred12
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. I saw Saxpics, they say production stopped in 1966 but according to their s/n list this horn was made in 1972(?) Saw the horn, pads messed up but mechanically OK, everything works. It looks like it is copper (not brass)! It has rolled tone holes, I thought lower grade horns didn't have this feature. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

No idea, but i do knoe there is not an accurate serial chart for them. Its up to you but i would go for a buescher true tone made after196K or after they fitted the aux high F key and put the crescent G# key instead of the pearl. These are the cheapest and one of the best made alto's around (professional ) and can be had for around $200-$300 on ebay. I have one and they are superb Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Fred12
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks again, Dave. I've heard quite a bit about Bueschers. Question - why a truetone? I gathered that the Aristocrats were the desirable models. Of course, there seem to be different models of Aristocrats too. Very confusing. Can you help?

Reply To Post

2. by Fred12
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks again, Dave. I've heard quite a bit about Bueschers. Question - why a truetone? I gathered that the Aristocrats were the desirable models. Of course, there seem to be different models of Aristocrats too. Very confusing. Can you help?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

www.saxpics.com has a bit of an article in the Beuscher section on the differences in all the aristocrat horns. However, I agree with Dave on the true tone horns, just as good as the Aristocrat, better price!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

The bueschers are all fine horns up to 1963 when selmer bought them out and relegated them to student level but the best models were the aristocrat series 1 ,big B and the 140 (same as big B but different engraving ) , the 141 was an OK horn but buescher had started the decline by then. The true tone was the grandad of the design and except for moving the bell keys to the same side and changing the L/H pinky table and enlarging the bell flare (from big B onwards ) they basically stayed the same as it was hard to improve on a near perfect design. Dave

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The True Tones just had "mojo". The Aristocrates were also great horns, but there's a certain magic in the True Tones that there doesn't seem to be as much of in the Aristocrates.....and, you can often find the old True Tones a little cheaper. The pre-1963 Buescher 400's are also great horns. I have a 1949 tenor and a 1953 alto; both 400's, and they're great horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Nothing wrong with a true tone - I have a true tone alto and absolutely love it. However, it is a completely different horn from the kohlert (I also own an edgeware alto). If I was looking for a horn with a lot of "spread", I would pass on the TT and go for the Kohlert. A lot depends on what a person wants to accomplish with his own particular sound. Also, true tones aren't quite as cheap as they used to be. Too many folks singing their praises.

Reply To Post

5. by saxHog
          (28 posts)

18 years ago

I own both TT's and Egeware, tenor and alto. I'd agree about the difference but not on the saxpic's assertion of the Edgeware being a stencil of a Kolhert Bixley. Doing some searches I've read that Keilwerth also made Edgeware, even stamped with Keilwerth's logo "best in the world". The Bixely doesn't seem to be much more than a student horn and it doesn't seem reasonable that a manufacturer would stencil a student horn. I enjoy the dark sound of the Edgewares. The sound of the Edgewre tenor is much like my '25 TT. I think they gave Edgeware an unfair rating. Just my opinion.

Reply To Post