Saxophone Forum

by purzyk
(1 post)
18 years ago

Fist tenor mouthpiece - help

Hello my name is piotrek. Im from poland. I play saxophone for 3 years. In poland i have very old AMATI tenor sax. But i need to change my instrument. Right now im in UK so i will buy mouthpiece at www.saxophones.co.uk In poland i play a lots o funk music. for example: www.transobapticato.com/House_7.mp3 I will start from buying a mouthpiece. I need a sharp and heavy sound. Is the Otto Link 7* a good choice? Metal or ebonit? And if yes then what Ligature should i buy?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Fist tenor mouthpiece - help

If you want a sharp or bright sound then a link is too dark. Try a metal berg larson or dukoff D7 or a lawton 7# bb if you can find one Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Fist tenor mouthpiece - help

I use a Dukoff D7 and I love it. Also try a Wolfe Tayne 6 or 6*. It's made by the jjBabbit co., the same co. as Otto Link and Meyer. I use one for baritone and it gives me a pretty bright tone with lots of projection. (I couldn't tell you about the Meyers since I've never tried one.) Just bring your sax with you to the shop and try as many mouthpiece / reed combinations as you can. (Just remember, though... if you're thinking about a horn upgrade in the near future, the mouthpiece you get now that sounds great on your current horn may sound like junk with a different horn. Just something to keep in mind. If you plan on getting a "new" horn pretty soon, you'd be better off to wait for a new mouthpiece to match that horn.) Good luck, and have fun shopping.

Reply To Post