Saxophone Forum

by themanwhoiscool
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Frustrated with sax and have no money for repairs

I have a 13-year old Yamaha YAS-23 that I received from my parents when I first started learning the sax. I have never had it serviced as far as a major service. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it myself a few years back. It played wonderfully after I did. I'm now running into a problem. Whenever I play D with the octave key, it plays the tone of A with the octave key. It is also very difficult to get the sound out, like something is stuffed into the neck. Is this something with a leak? Can anyone tell me of the different possibilities as to what the problem is?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by themanwhoiscool
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Frustrated with sax and have no money for repairs

I have finally figured it out! My octave hole on the neck was opening up while the G key and below were down. This caused the mess-up in tones.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Finally? Your posts were only half an hour apart! Glad you found the problem. Were you able to fix it?

Reply To Post

1. by themanwhoiscool
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Finally...it took me a while to start looking online for some help. I have had this problem for about 6 months. I reverted to playing my soprano sax. The part on the neck that raises the octave was slightly bent. I gently bent it back into place and it fixed the problem. I did notice that I need a new pad though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!