Saxophone Forum

by Leigh812
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Martin questions

I'm a junior in highschool, and I have a Martin alto dated from around 1947 to 1953. I have a lot of trouble getting the palm key F out, and can't even get an F sharp. I've tried practicing overtones and such, but the high register is still causing me problems. Could this be my alto, or is it me? Any responses would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Martin questions

Have the sax checked to make sure it is properly regulated. Martins are nice horns, and I play a few of them. I have had no trouble playing in the altissimo register with them. (point of note, F#, and G are often notes people have trouble with in the altissimo range. A is actually easier to hit) Other than that, it really does just take practice, and proper air support and proper embrochure

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Martin questions

Hey man, just remember that the key to altissimo (i find) (and in addition to what definition said) is relaxation. Many people get tense when attempting altissimo, and this causes it to not come out. Relaaaax. Well actually don't relax your embouchure, but relax your throat and muscles in that general area. I relax these muscles and BAM! I have that altissimo G or whatever coming out and screamin! Good Luck! Sean

Reply To Post