Saxophone Forum

by Dub-C
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Another mouthpiece topic....

Hey, I know there are bajillions of mouthpiece topics out there but i have some questions of my own. Im looking to buy a Bari Sax jazz mouthpiece and i need some opions. This is going to be needed for highschool jazz band. Would you reccomend metal or rubber? Ive been told metal, for bari. Also ive been looking at the brands, 1. Otto link 2. Meyer 3. Berg Larsen 4. Dukoff.... I need great projection, growling tone and a big fat sound overall... But not the brightness some mouthpieces promise (it is a bari after all). Im open to all opions. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Another mouthpiece topic....

Im partial to a well faced Dukoff myself on bari, but the Berg in the 1 or 2 chamber should do you well

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by mattia
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

I've had great results with a Wolf Tayne 7 on bari. It's a metal mouthpiece. Great piece. Big sound, not too edgy, classic gutsy big band sound, and pretty reed friendly and easy to play. But, I was just checking out Woodwind/Brasswind, wwbw.com, and I don't think they sell them anymore. I got mine from wwbw about 4 years ago. I didn't realize they no longer sold them. Hopefully they still make them. Mine was relatively affordable, less than $200, I think it was like $160/$170. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

I, too, use a Wolfe Tayne 7 for bari. I absolutely love it! Big, fat, meaty sound, and awesome projection! Got mine used (in "new" condition at a local shop) for $80. I'm not sure they're out of production. They're still listed on jjbabbitt.com (JJBabbitt is the parent company for Wolf Tayne mouthpieces).

Reply To Post