Saxophone Forum

by thekidd
(10 posts)
18 years ago

M 202942 L

What is this? I was told it's a Conn 1928, but now that I have the serial number, when I look it up, I see "M" as being the prefix for 1969? Little help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thekidd
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Re: M 202942 L

And whatever it is, is it worth $650 in playing shape. It just had new pads, felt and cork installed.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

If it has split bell keys (low B pad on one side and low Bb on the other side ) its a chu berry (correct name is new wonder series 2 ) and well worth the money. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

if no dents and no soder points, I agree. A great deal at $650. Lauquer not a concern at that price. Just no major damage. Serial number shows it as a 1923 Low pitched New Wonder Series Where is the octive key? top or bottom? Top then it's a New wonder, bottem probaby a New Wonder II (Chuck Berry). Based on the year I guess a New wonder.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Ops, wrong on the year, Ment 1927, It's a New wonder II Chuck Berry.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Chuck Berry was a guitar player. He wrote and recorded such songs as Johnny B. Goode, Maybeline, My Ding-a-ling, Rock and Roll Music, and many others popular in the 1950's. The horn you are referring to is a Chu Berry. Leon "Chu" Berry was a famous tenor player of the time. The Chu Berry horns, or New Wonder Series II, were great horns. They have a warm, dark sound, good intonation, and they play very easy. You are correct that the serial number prefix "M" indicates 1969; however, "M" was also used by Conn to signify saxophone, and the "M" appeared in the serial numbers of the New Wonder Series II and early "M Series" saxophones. The differences are obvious to most collectors. Most of these earlier horns are silver plated. Under the serial number there is an L to indicate low pitch. By 1969, low pitch had been adopted as the standard and there were no longer any high pitched horns being produced. The earlier horns also had a patent number on them which corresponds with the rolled tone holes. The 1969 horns have no patent number. There are numerous other differences; like the split bell keys, fingernail G# key, and other less obvious features.

Reply To Post Yahoo!