Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
18 years ago

Reupholstering A Case.

Hey, I bought a 25 year old keilwerth off ebay and the sax is amazing but the case is not so. The material it is lined with easily sheds its little fluffy hair all over the saxophone and it gets everywhere. It is not too noticable, but is very frustrating especially when liquid and oil gets amongst the mixture! Apart from that, the case is brilliant, perfectly fits the larger bow and bell unlike all my other cases. I was planning on removing the lining, and replacing it with something nicer. What do you suggest? I can not really afford to buy a new case, Hiscox and many more leading cases do not fit, only the Walt Johnson, which I am not willing to pay for. Thankyou.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by closelabs
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reupholstering A Case.

I recently purchased a new SKB case for my 56 alto. I was amazed how inexpensive it was. Less than $100. Got it from Dave at Junk Dude Music. And, it has a lifetime guarantee

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

You might try just adding a very thin liner, such as non-fusible interfacing or something similar to silk. That way you could keep the padding of the original fabric, and eliminate the shedding. Lay the fabric over the inside of the case, put the horn inside so that it shapes correctly, and tuck the edges of the fabric inside the edge of the case with some glue. Let the glue dry completely before closing the case. (And be careful not to get any glue on the horn!)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I know there are places online where you can buy the plush lining for cases and the adhesive to put it on. You need to be careful what type of glue you use. Some adhesives can really make a mess! I would shop around for the proper material and adhesive. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

18 years ago

I am not planning on buying specific plush lining designed for cases. I am planning on using very thin double sided tape to stick it on. it is used for emboidering material and it will not make a mess. I am going to look around locally for a material similar to the stuff they use to line the Ameritage Nouvea Cases, but i am not sure if i will be able to find it. The case is remarkably sturdy, but i will reinforce some areas just for extra protection. Cheers,

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I know the tape you are thinking of. I have tried it before and it didn't work out so well, but hopefully you'll have better luck. There are several different options as far as material. The stuff I was thinking of is a soft fur-like material that usually comes in a variety of different colors. I don't think it's too expensive. A nice velvet material would work also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

just a few things to add... both 3m products. for double sided tape see 969 tape and you have two sprays super 77 and another one a little more expensive. good luck=)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM