Saxophone Forum

by ps
(35 posts)
18 years ago

is this brand any good

I'm looking at a Palatino soprano and am wondering if they are any good. Also I own a Waldener tenor. Does anyone know anything about these horns ie, where were they made?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ashley
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: is this brand any good

Paltino is an Italian brand that started in 1994. If you want a student model soprano then you might want a Palatino. Selmer, Dave Guardala, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerth are all really good brands, but if you just want to try it out, you can get some really, really cheap sopranos off eBay. If you're looking for something worthwhile, don't just buy any brand. Specially new brands or Chinese brands that are not already well known. I bought a soprano without finding out about the makers and now it's falling apart. I bought it brand new. At least it played well for the first few months.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I need to disagree with "if you just want to try it out, you can get some really, really cheap sopraons off eBay." If you buy a "really, really cheap" soprano, you won't know what it is to play soprano sax. Even the good sopranos are more difficult than alto, tenor, etc., to play in tune. The cheap ones are worse. If you just want to try it out, go to a music store and ask. It would be better, though, to start on alto, and move to soprano after you've learned how to play the alto well. You could also learn the tenor, and then try the soprano, although there is more of an adjustment. The first post, however, didn't ask about learning or trying out, just whether the saxophones were any good. To that I can't respond, being unfamiliar with both.

Reply To Post

1. by ps
        (35 posts)

18 years ago

Well, I ended up buying a beautiful, black with gold keys, Winston Pro I (off ebay) and am quite happy with it. After selling my early model(246xxx) Mark VII alto last summer, I really missed having a horn around, eventhough I only took it out of it's case about once a month. Now, after playing saxophone on and off for thirty years, I just have to find some time to blow it.

Reply To Post