Saxophone Forum

by gregoryrh
(21 posts)
18 years ago

To Jamterry re: comments on the use of tongue discussion

Terry, You responded to one of my posts about the use of the tongue in sax playing. And you correctly interpreted some frustration with choice of a teacher. Actually there is not much that should be debated because I feel I know which teacher is correct for me now. But if you will indulge me, I will give you some more details. I have taken lessons for a little more than 2 years now. I think I have progressed pretty well. I am semi-retired so I have plenty of time to study and practice. The teacher I have used for all of that time is a graduate of a university music program. He also is a performer at a local jazz club. He is excellent... and young. With him I have progressed through two of the three method books. He has to push me to do that because I just love to play the music I like rather than the practice the method books by this time. The second teacher is older and more music education focused. He is the leader of the community band I joined. I found out quickly I was far behind the rest of the band, but still enjoyed the experience of playing with others. About the time I joined this band (which performs, but does not practice by the way) I was feeling that I should at least experience the methods of other teachers. At the same time I read in a book I read written by a performer that you should experience as many teachers as you can to learn new approaches. I felt when I read this that it was targeted to more experienced players but I wanted to try it anyway. So I took a few lessons from the band leader who I was told by other band members was an excellent teacher. He is. And he also has a different approach than my first teacher. He took me back to fundamentals and focuses on that....not a method book, but still fundamentals which are his approach. I feel like I am learning, but also like I went backwards somewhat because I have to learn his approach. Now the dilemma is that I have two teachers....both good, but the $$$$ are a lot. So I should pick one. I feel the new teacher is better for me, but I feel guilty about quitting the teacher that brought me this far. So now that I have rambled, at least you get a better idea of what I am thinking about. Any thoughts from someone more experienced????? Any ideas would be appreciated. Greg

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: To Jamterry re: comments on the use of tongue discussion

Greg, This a test

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Greg, I think you made the right decision about the teachers. Also the Ref 36 is a great horn. You will love it. I've had selmers for 40 years, and I am very happy with them. I think I had four teachers during my saxophone studies. They all influenced me in different ways. Also , you are right about playing with people. I will jam with anybody. I didn't play much in bands, except when I went to summer institutes at Northwestern University. I have played with heaps of jazz , fusion, and blues/rock people. Now I work a lot with alternative rock bands, as I double on keybords. Most of my sax stuff is session work, so I don't get to jam much anymore. Best of luck to you Greg Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Greg, I know what you're going through. I've been learning sax for about 3 and a half years, and I've had one teacher who has brought me very far. Recently, I've begun to take lessons off an excellent teacher who has studied at the classical conservatorium in France (he even worked in the Selmer factory, I think he was there when Stan Getz came in for a service) and he has completed the Jazz degree at the world-renowned Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (I am doing a Certificate course there at the moment, hopefully going on to the degree). He is an excellent teacher. I still get lessons with both my old and new teachers, but I feel that the new one helps me more, but I dont want to let the other one go because a) he needs the money b) I still do learn a bit from him c) He's also a friend of mine I'm really not sure what to do. It would be much easier for me just going to the new teacher but I still feel guilty about letting the other one go. Any comments? Thanks, Sean

Reply To Post